Eating While Cycling

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Corzhens, Aug 11, 2015.

1. oshop

oshop New Member

2. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

If it's a long ride it's important that we carry food with us or else we will run out of energy. These days there is a wide offer for things we can carry in the bike.

3. Regalia

Regalia New Member

Mmmm corn. What they said! Food is energy, and energy is usually good unless you're trying to get to sleep. I snack anytime of the day. Doesn't matter where I'm at either.

4. oportosanto

Never tried corn, it's a good idea. One thing that gives me a great boost of energy is marmelade. I buy them in cubes packed individually and I eat them when I need.

5. Regalia

Regalia New Member

Wow you never tried corn?! I never tried marmalade. I've heard of it though, through a Chowder episode lol. (Chowder is a cartoon involving a purple bear/rabbit creature and his chef teacher Mung. Everyone in the show has food names.)

6. oportosanto

lol, never tried corn when riding the bike, come on Regalia! :D Marmelade is very very good and it's filled with energy. Basically it's fruit and sugar, so energy all the way.

7. JSWin

JSWin Member

Funny it's almost like a boardwalk kind of thing. Corn is one of the biggest genetically modified foods. You really don't want to eat some random corn like that. If people knew what this stuff contains and what it will do to you. They wouldn't eat it.
    It's good to get what you need before you get on the bike. Sounds like probably they aren't eating enough to begin with if they are stopping to eat like that. Most of the time I would carry something with me but generally I've usually had enough to begin.

8. oportosanto

This is a good point to be honest. I always try to eat healthy and the fact that there are a lot of genetically modified foods really doesn't boost our energy or health.

9. guitarmom1279

guitarmom1279 New Member

I see nothing wrong with it. I mean you are burning calories and fat so its only natural that you would want to refuel. To me that will keep you at your best to where if if you do not restore your nutrients your body is more likely to wear down a lot faster. I actually carry snacks along with me when ever I ride any distance.

10. Muhammad adnan

Muhammad adnan New Member

for rides over 1 hour , carbohydrate intake needs to be well organised. training pouches and other accessories mean that it is easy to transport snacks.aim for between 30-60 grams of carbohydrate per hour depending on the intensity of your ride. 30 grams can be provided by the following:

1 500ml bottle of commercially available isotonic sports drink.

2 1 and a half carbohydrate energy gels.

3 small handful of jellied sweets.

4 1 large banana.

5 1 large cereal bar or carbohydrate based energy bar.

11. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

When it comes to cycling and eating, I would say that it is always wrong for the people that are into cycling to eat heavy meals while on the road as that is not the best move to make. One thing that I have come to notice is that you can really get things working well as long as you take just snacks.

12. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

There is no big deal with taking water with you as that is the only thing that is as important as you going on the ride. I have checked and see that this is better than those that try to take heavy food instead.

13. Steve5

Steve5 Member

I guess it's a form of temptation. Only the person really knows whether they need to eat. Sometimes it's just us eating for the sake of eating. Better avoid this habit. Hahaha!

14. Steve5

Steve5 Member

Yes, it's best to follow a regimen. Eating out of schedule frequently can sabotage our efforts for healthy eating. We should consider our appetite because we only need to eat if we actually feel hungry.

15. reighn

reighn Member

I'm really curious and want to stop if there's a food vendor along the street, I will definitely stop and buy if ever, specially if I riding my bike and see the street food, it means food trip for me.

16. king bily

king bily New Member

Something like this (assuming that I leave after breakfast and remain full for two hours): 50km, 1000m climbing nothing 100km, 2000m climbing one energy bar and one banana 150km, 3000m climbing two energy bars, one banana, one small sandwich, one small choco milk 150km,5000m climbing, 4 energy bars, 2 bananas, one sandwich (cheese and ham), large chocolate milk During the first two hours I don't eat anything if I leave right after having breakfast. Then I would have half an energy bar or half a banana every 30', and drink every 15