eBay foibles and follies...

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
Yeah, I'm on the 'Bay more than I care to admit (and more than wife knows about). Incredible deals for sure. However, it's becoming more and more frequent that I run across just plain stupid ads like this one below. Ask yourself if you would purchase this item with the information given - well, if the price is right given the fact that this is an apparently straight, no reserve auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EASTON-EC90-carbon-fiber-road-handlebars-unmarked-/250800808411?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a64e4a1db

Story sounds credible, right? LOL! So, tell me again how you're gonna prove that these are in fact Easton bars?? You got a receipt showin' as much, right? Don't fit your bike, huh? Got 'em from the factory, huh? LOL!

Gotta love (for the humor factor only) some of these tall tales I read concerning people describing the items they're selling. Lies? Yeah, probably. Stretching the truth? Definitely. Embellishment? Why not? Anything to make a buck...

Feel free to post-up those that catch your eye and tickle your funny-bone, or more accuratley, your sarcasm-bone...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-CROTON-Swiss-Automatic-Movement-Mens-Watch-/390304180377?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item5adff12899

I like Swiss automatic watches - usually keep them under $300, and I search eBay every so often.
Looking the other day and found this scam artist. Described as "Swiss Automatic Movement" but at the bottom of the dial it obviously states "Japan Movt". LOL! Also note the Zoom function is unavailable for the photo. I wonder why? This person is a dealer and knows better, so I'm not buying that this was an isolated mistake.

After an exchange of messages advising the seller of this fraudulent listing and that an amended is required (seller tried some ridiculous circular logic to explain that the Japanese movement is really a veriation of a Swiss movement) to no avail, reported the matter to eBay security, but they probably won't do anything about it unless the complaint is made by an actual buyer.

Nothing inherently wrong with Japanese Miyota movements (got quite a few watches that have this movement in them), but if you're advertising a Swiss movement in a watch then it needs to be Swiss. Matterhorn, not Mt. Fuji...

You realise that half of the Matterhorn is in Italy and both of the summits are on the border, right?

How "Swiss" do you want your watch?

^^^ yawn...Steve, give 'em another award - very deserving again this month.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Maybe the seller should have explained that Croton really does use Japanese movements in their watches, as a quick visit to their website would have shown. Way to go Tony, tag someone as fraudulent when both of you were just plain misinformed.

That website also shows that the international headquarters for this company is in New Jersey, USA. Maybe there's some Swiss history in the company but it would seem as though currently there's more Hackensack than Matterhorn.

^^^ damn - "stupid (really) is as stupid does"...Forrest Gump couldn't have ever been more succinct and accurate...

Steve, please hurry-up with that award...

Got a few Croton watches with Japanese movements, for the anonomous person's information...got a few Crotons with Swiss movements too...

The dumb is only getting dumber...

Go ride your bike - if you can...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-automatic-tourbillon-mens-wrist-watch-BR001-/230609518009?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35b165fdb9

Plain and simply a counterfeit/fake/fraud. Reported to eBay, but the listing(s) from this seller remain. eBay says they have specific policies/rules against counterfeits and fakes, but policies are only as good as the enforcement...

Authentic Breguet watches are easily 4 and 5 figures, but hey, when you can get a new one for $160 why should you look the gift horse in the mouth??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Computrainer-Plus-8002-/220776168563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336748fc73

See this all the time: "bought it umpteen years ago, used only once". Makes sense to buy a top of the line piece of equipment and then never use it. Can wish my income was that disposable. LOL!

I'm in the market for a prime CT unit, but don't want to pay retail. New-in-box units come up occasionally on the 'Bay - guess I'll keep waiting. CT's hold their value very well - speaks to the durability and reputation worldwide.

I've definitely purchased my share of ebay items. I'm very particular about who I buy from though. I don't think I have EVER purchased from a seller with less than a high 98% positive feedback rating. And I also try to make sure the description and photo(s) of the item advertised matches that of the item at a retail store or the manufacturer. I would be very suspicious of this seller/item given the feedback rating and almost generic photo (no brand label/markings shown).

A close look at the listing today shows the following:

1. "Bidding has ended on this item. The seller has relisted this item or one like this."
2. One bid
3. Winning bid US $0.99
4. Shipping:$148.77 (HUH!!??)

Yeah, I always request photos of the actual item. You're right about some sellers only giving a stock photo - especially with watches. Some people are just lazy and it's easier to post up a photo already out on the web. Then again, there are those that wish to conceal the actual condition.

Not as particular about feedback percentage as the results are skewed based on total number of feedback received - i.e. a poor mark given to someone who only has 5 total feedback will appear much worse than another sellter with 10. I'm more interested in the comments of the negative feedback. Regardless, eBay's Buyer Protection gives a good remedy should there be an issue. I've filed probably 30 cases in about 1000 transactions, and much more often than not I've been pleased with the process. They'll (eBay) even provide a prepaid shipping label should a buyer be successful on a claim and have to return the item back to the seller.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=180673217075

This kinda stuff always looks fishy, to me anyway.
See the one bidder with probably 20 bids on this item.
I'm not necessarily saying this is the case here, but I know sellers are getting pretty sophisticated with the shill bidding stuff where they'll have someone bid their items up - and pay the bogus bidder a percentage.
Why would someone in their right (or wrong) mind put that many bids on an item?? I have a few suspicions, obviously...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mens-CTI-Swiss-21J-Skeleton-Automatic-w-Date-Watch-/140547815582?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20b94d789e

Absolutely NOTHING Swiss about this watch. I've reported them to eBay and nothing came of it - ridiculous.
Authentic Swiss watches will say "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial, or at the very least engraved on the back cover or rotor of the automatic mechanism/movement.

Look for ETA, Sellitta, CL 888 ( aka Claro Semang, but authenticity of these is dubious to purists) automatic movements in the reasonably priced <$500 Swiss watches. I'm especially fond of Sellitta's ETA clones (found in Invictas) as I've found them to be extremely accurate - around +/- 2 seconds/day! That's ridiculously accurate and on par with any Rolex, Omega, Tag or any other 4 figure and up watch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-CANNONDALE-CAAD9-R5-ROAD-BIKE-60cm-Only-99-miles-/270768575125?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3f0b109295

This one caught my eye, and ire...
99 miles? Yeah, right. Look at those chainrings - looks like sharks teeth to me, signifying ALOT more than 99 miles of wear. Probably 10x the stated amount. The bike has been detailed in order to make a sale - but 99 miles? Nah...

I don't mind people guessing with the mileage, but don't state an exact figure that is patently false - and at least try to be in the ballpark. And you sound like a used car salesman with the "only 99 miles" stuff. What, you're scared people won't buy the bike if the mileage is into triple figures?? Too much amateur sales psychology on eBay, IMO...

Dang, all the cited auctions are "ended", and we can't see them.

Isn't there some feature by which we can see finished auctions?

If not, then, it would be a help to copy and paste auction texts to keep this thread cogent with the cited listings.

Oh, here, this is about to close. It's not rip at all, but a bike with soul, I'd not restore it at all,

http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Peugeot-PX-10-Road-Bike-mavic-france-bike-59-5-cm-/130539144876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e64bd46ac

fwiw...
1972 Peugeot PX-10 Road Bike mavic france bike 59.5 cm Item condition: -- Time left: 1h 39m 6s (Jul 07, 201117:42:28 PDT) Bid history: 9 bids Current bid: US $245.99 up for auction an very nice 1972 Peugeot PX-10 Road Bike mavic france bike 59.5 cm .
i just take off the tires, will be sold without tires just because has a racing weheels made in france.
all original , must see.
no reserve no buy it now, thanks

Item 130539144876 location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160621768809

Blatantly obvious example of shill bidding. I bet dollars to donuts that this seller has buddies placing bids on this item in order to boost the price. Check out the number of bidders with "0" feedback and multiple bids. Hopefully, someone who wants this item will alert eBay's Security department about this obvious abuse of the system...