Ebay fraudster changing tactics?

Werehatrack

Guest
For the past couple of months, a scammer has been listing new high-end
bikes for sale on eBay at steep discounts. Originally this was being
done using hijacked user IDs. At first, the hijacked user ID was
changed to "akron_bike" with a numeric suffix, then "secom_bike", and
for the past few days there have been unchanged hijacked user IDs and
some zero-feedback new IDs. Today, the listings that I strongly
suspect are from the same fraudster are in a new format; the
background has been changed, the text has been changed, the photos now
appear to be taken direct drom the manufacturers' publications, the
listings show 2005 models instead of 2004, and they're not as
prolific. They still bear the telltale signs of fraud, though; the
bidder ID is private, the text instructs the buyer to contact the
seller *before* bidding to obtain the bike at a "buy it now" price
despite the fact that there is no Buy It Now feature in the listing,
the seller has a zero feedback, the listing details do not make any
potentially safe method of payment available, and the price for the
product is well below dealer cost for an item that could not possibly
be obtained for that amount. Here's just one of the listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2292907864

I will note also that when I first became aware of these listings, the
claimed location of the supposed seller was in California, but that
has now been shifted to the UK. The listing text now states "Escrow
accepted", but the listing details do not; even that escrow is likely
to be fake.

Buyers beware.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Have you reported this suspected fraudster to eBay? They take fraud very
seriously, and if you point out all the questionable tactics in the
auctions, may well shut this person down and cancel their auctions.

Good luck! I looked at the first site you posted here and agree that it
looked very fishy....

Emily

news:[email protected]...

Emily wrote:
> Have you reported this suspected fraudster to eBay? They take fraud

very
> seriously, and if you point out all the questionable tactics in the
> auctions, may well shut this person down and cancel their auctions.
>
> Good luck! I looked at the first site you posted here and agree

that it
> looked very fishy....
>
> Emily
>

> "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > For the past couple of months, a scammer has been listing new

high-end
> > bikes for sale on eBay at steep discounts. Originally this was

being
> > done using hijacked user IDs. At first, the hijacked user ID was
> > changed to "akron_bike" with a numeric suffix, then "secom_bike",

and
> > for the past few days there have been unchanged hijacked user IDs

and
> > some zero-feedback new IDs. Today, the listings that I strongly
> > suspect are from the same fraudster are in a new format; the
> > background has been changed, the text has been changed, the photos

now
> > appear to be taken direct drom the manufacturers' publications, the
> > listings show 2005 models instead of 2004, and they're not as
> > prolific. They still bear the telltale signs of fraud, though; the
> > bidder ID is private, the text instructs the buyer to contact the
> > seller *before* bidding to obtain the bike at a "buy it now" price
> > despite the fact that there is no Buy It Now feature in the

listing,
> > the seller has a zero feedback, the listing details do not make any
> > potentially safe method of payment available, and the price for the
> > product is well below dealer cost for an item that could not

possibly
> > be obtained for that amount. Here's just one of the listings:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2292907864
> >
> > I will note also that when I first became aware of these listings,

the
> > claimed location of the supposed seller was in California, but that
> > has now been shifted to the UK. The listing text now states

"Escrow
> > accepted", but the listing details do not; even that escrow is

likely
> > to be fake.
> >
> > Buyers beware.
> > --
> > Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> > Some gardening required to reply via email.
> > Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Dear Were
Thank You very much for this, John