Ebay fraudster changing tactics?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Werehatrack, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    For the past couple of months, a scammer has been listing new high-end
    bikes for sale on eBay at steep discounts. Originally this was being
    done using hijacked user IDs. At first, the hijacked user ID was
    changed to "akron_bike" with a numeric suffix, then "secom_bike", and
    for the past few days there have been unchanged hijacked user IDs and
    some zero-feedback new IDs. Today, the listings that I strongly
    suspect are from the same fraudster are in a new format; the
    background has been changed, the text has been changed, the photos now
    appear to be taken direct drom the manufacturers' publications, the
    listings show 2005 models instead of 2004, and they're not as
    prolific. They still bear the telltale signs of fraud, though; the
    bidder ID is private, the text instructs the buyer to contact the
    seller *before* bidding to obtain the bike at a "buy it now" price
    despite the fact that there is no Buy It Now feature in the listing,
    the seller has a zero feedback, the listing details do not make any
    potentially safe method of payment available, and the price for the
    product is well below dealer cost for an item that could not possibly
    be obtained for that amount. Here's just one of the listings:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2292907864

    I will note also that when I first became aware of these listings, the
    claimed location of the supposed seller was in California, but that
    has now been shifted to the UK. The listing text now states "Escrow
    accepted", but the listing details do not; even that escrow is likely
    to be fake.

    Buyers beware.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  2. Emily

    Emily Guest

    Have you reported this suspected fraudster to eBay? They take fraud very
    seriously, and if you point out all the questionable tactics in the
    auctions, may well shut this person down and cancel their auctions.

    Good luck! I looked at the first site you posted here and agree that it
    looked very fishy....

    Emily

    news:[email protected]

  3. Emily wrote:
    > Have you reported this suspected fraudster to eBay? They take fraud

    very
    > seriously, and if you point out all the questionable tactics in the
    > auctions, may well shut this person down and cancel their auctions.
    >
    > Good luck! I looked at the first site you posted here and agree

    that it
    > looked very fishy....
    >
    > Emily
    >

    > "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > For the past couple of months, a scammer has been listing new

    high-end
    > > bikes for sale on eBay at steep discounts. Originally this was

    being
    > > done using hijacked user IDs. At first, the hijacked user ID was
    > > changed to "akron_bike" with a numeric suffix, then "secom_bike",

    and
    > > for the past few days there have been unchanged hijacked user IDs

    and
    > > some zero-feedback new IDs. Today, the listings that I strongly
    > > suspect are from the same fraudster are in a new format; the
    > > background has been changed, the text has been changed, the photos

    now
    > > appear to be taken direct drom the manufacturers' publications, the
    > > listings show 2005 models instead of 2004, and they're not as
    > > prolific. They still bear the telltale signs of fraud, though; the
    > > bidder ID is private, the text instructs the buyer to contact the
    > > seller *before* bidding to obtain the bike at a "buy it now" price
    > > despite the fact that there is no Buy It Now feature in the

    listing,
    > > the seller has a zero feedback, the listing details do not make any
    > > potentially safe method of payment available, and the price for the
    > > product is well below dealer cost for an item that could not

    possibly
    > > be obtained for that amount. Here's just one of the listings:
    > >
    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2292907864
    > >
    > > I will note also that when I first became aware of these listings,

    the
    > > claimed location of the supposed seller was in California, but that
    > > has now been shifted to the UK. The listing text now states

    "Escrow
    > > accepted", but the listing details do not; even that escrow is

    likely
    > > to be fake.
    > >
    > > Buyers beware.
    > > --
    > > Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    > > Some gardening required to reply via email.
    > > Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    Dear Were
    Thank You very much for this, John