eBay gripes

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by chrisalmighty, Oct 17, 2005.

1. chrisalmighty

chrisalmighty New Member

What are your biggest complaints about buying and/or selling on eBay?

Tags:

2. blue1

blue1 New Member

I don't have one

3. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

People who out bid me or don't bid enough for my stuff.

4. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Being outbid at the last second ("sniped")

5. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Reserve auctions. Sellers should put a minimum bid they are willing to accept instead of making bidders guess.

People who refuse to ship Postal Service and force me to rush home and hope that the item isn't stolen. I have a PO Box to avoid this inconvenience...

6. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

People who take my money, and then either ship me a.) nothing, or b.) crap. Slow shipping also pisses me off.

7. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

people who bid but then don't pay or even get in touch

what a drag that is to sort out

8. lyotard

lyotard New Member

if selling, watch for:
    -buyer claiming not to have got item you sent. you must get deliv confirmation to prevent.

-credit card pyt disputed
    buyer makes claim with credit card company. good luck clearing this up.
    about all you can do to prevent is only accept pay pal tranfers and not credit card payments. this can limit buyers...

if buying,
    you may get a bike that is as great as mine, if you are so lucky!
    the score:
    legendary columbus frameset about 300.00 shipped.
    truly a great ride.

also numerous other stuff, you take a gamble, but if you know the item and the description is accurate and the price is right and the stars align,,,

9. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Sellers who don't offer Pay Pal as an option.

Buyers who think that "Pay Pal only" doesn't apply to them.

It hasn't happened to me, but people who don't use feedack properly. Sure, I have seen negatives for slow shipping, and neutrals for the item not being as advertised... I would do differently... But, I have seen way too many that claim they had a negative posted with no attempt to resolve the issue with the seller... This has led to many sellers not posting feedback until I post mine... Frankly, I think it sucks that I don't get positive feedback as soon as my payment is received (almost always by PayPal within 24 hours). I have done my part, but out of fear the seller doesn't post until after I do.

I can see a time coming when both parties in a smooth transaction will refuse to post until the other does... A stand off!!! There should be another way built in to easily deal with undeserved negative feedback.

10. lehowe0

lehowe0 New Member

Most stuff looks better in the pictures than it really is when you get it. I'm usually (but not always) disappointed with the item. I've gotten very wary of items on Ebay, and would rather get a good hard look at what I'm purchasing.

11. frenk

frenk New Member

I sold many used cycling stuffs on the ebay and it worked really well, I always had bids for the value I thought they were worth of.
    I noticed that starting from $1 was the best way to reach the "real" market value.

Then some days ago, my mom wanted to sell a dress.
    Sure of myself I did it the same way.
    The problem is that I noticed that very few people in my country seem to use ebay for clothing stuffs... so the dress ended up at $1! :eek:

So far the guy has not yet paid nor taken contact, so there is a hope he forgot the thing...

How much do you have to wait before you are allowed to cancel the auction?

12. jessmcph

jessmcph New Member

i love ebay but lack of communication can be an issue.

13. chrisalmighty

chrisalmighty New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a market for a certified used bike site, and if people would be willing to pay a little extra over eBay to insure they are not scammed, get something that is mechanically sound, and have the peace of mind with a money back guarentee. Any thoughts would be great.

Also, please fill out my two polls about "What is it worth.." and "How much more you would pay...", that are along these same lines.

Thanks again for the help.

14. LIKESBIKES716

LIKESBIKES716 New Member

I mostly bought school stuff, calculators, books, videogames not to many people want the school stuff so I havent had many problems.

15. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

#9 regarding feedback....

Feedback on ebay is optional and voluntary and neither party to the transaction is obliged to leave it (though it is considered good etiquette to do so).

Feedback should be left by the buyer first - always.

The transaction is not complete when the buyer pays, its only complete when the buyer has received the goods and is happy with them. At that point the buyer lets the seller know by leaving appropriate feedback

A good seller then leaves the buyer good feedback commenting on speed of payment etc. at that point - when they know the seller is happy.

If a buyer is not happy, contact the seller and give them a chance to put it right before leaving feedback.

16. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I do understand your other point that feedback is voluntary...

In sales, the customer is always right... To wait for feedback so that you can use it for retaliation is not acting on this assumption.

Once I receive my money as a seller (which has been infrequent since I am usually a buyer) I post feedback. I got what I wanted out of the deal, money... My feedback isn't based on whether the customer is a jerk with their feedback, that is what a response is there for.

If someone is concerned that I as the buyer am happy, then post the feedback... that makes me happy (one more and I get a different colored star). :)

17. House

House Banned

I bought some tires from a bike shop on ebay. I payed, the tires arrived and they placed a complaint that I didn't pay. One phone call and it was straightened out...and they never gave me feedback.

18. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I've recently started looking for bike clothing on ebay and i'm amazed at the prices people will pay for USED stuff like shorts and jerseys. i'm not talking vintage stuff, just 2 year old pearl izumi shorts and "gently used" jerseys with a "slight tear on the cuff" etc. i don't mind paying 10-15 bucks for the used stuff but i'm being outbid as if they were new! WHAT GIVES?:cool:

19. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

I agree, the customer is always right.

Waiting for feedback is not for retaliation, its so that the seller knows the stuff has arrived and meets the buyer's expectations - that's when the transaction is complete. My feedback is based on my customers being satisfied and telling me so - I want a little more than money, I want people that come back and give me more!

Good luck with the next star by the way

20. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

If I feel that a seller is wating for me to leave feedback before leaving me feedback, I think it's cheesy and bullyish. You got your money in a timely fashion and my obligations are complete after you have been paid. This is why I'll leave neutral feedback for sellers who say things like "leave me feedback and i'll leave you feedback". Screw you a$$hole - here's your feedback, how do you like that?