eBay: LIKE NEW! 54cm Colnago MXL in Mapei Colors and full Ultegra.

Eric

Guest
I am auctioning a 54cm Colnago in the Mapei team colors. I am going to buy a cross bike and need the
money. The frame is a Master Extra light from 2000. The fork is a Prescia steel straight blade in
matching colors. The frameset is a 9.5 out of 10 in condition. Just abnormally low wear and tear for
a 1999-year bike. There are less than 5 chips in the paint on the entire bike! The bike comes
equipped with full Ultegra and brand new (never ridden) Ultegra STI levers. You can guarantee
perfect shifting with the new levers. The wheels are 105/Mavic CXP21. The wheels are brand new too!
I have never ridden the wheels. I want to keep my wheels and am supplying them at no additional
charge. The saddle is a 135gram Selle Italia SLR. The bar and stem are ITM threaded (100mm). I have
Cinelli Spinacci ultralights on the bars for the long rides. The seatpost is an American Classics
aluminum post. No pedals. Pictures are available upon request (serious requests only). THIS BIKE
ROCKS! I wish I could keep it, but my race bike (C40w/Record) and a new cross bike sound like a
better pair.

Eric

[email protected] take off the nospam in the email address to email me.

Please read this "Eric R. Gott SPAM KING needs the $$$$" <[email protected]>

Use rec.bicycles.marketplace for selling bikes and bike parts. This newsgroup is about Racing of
Bikes, teams, strategy, races, and is *not your personal "For Sale" platform* Thanks!

rec.bicycles.marketplace: Bicycles, components, ancillary equipment and services wanted or for sale,
reviews of such things, places to buy them, and evaluations of these sources. Not for discussion of
general engineering, maintenance, or repair -- see rec.bicycles.tech

rec.bicycles.racing: Race results, racing techniques, rules, and organizations. Not Wanted To Buy
(WTB) Nor racing equipment -- see rec.bicycles.marketplace or rec.bicycles.tech

Advertising on Usenet is a frequently misunderstood subject. The purpose of this message is to
explain some Usenet conventions regarding advertising to new users and, hopefully, spare everyone
involved a lot of needless worry.

To start with, let's define the term. "Usenet" is *not* synonymous with "Internet." Usenet is the
system of online discussion groups, called "newsgroups," e.g. rec.humor, comp.misc,
news.announce.newusers,

attempt to describe in detail all the various ways in which one can conduct commercial activity over
the Internet and attempts simply to explain the issues involved in advertising in Usenet newsgroups.

The philosophy of Usenet
------------------------
Usenet started out in 1980 as a UNIX network linking sites which needed to talk about and receive
prompt updates on UNIX system configuration and other UNIX questions. Message traffic started out at
a few messages/year... In the beginning, Usenet was largely confined to educational institutions
such as universities and colleges, and to research companies and other commercial enterprises with
UNIX machines on-site. It has now grown to include millions of users at commercial sites such as
America Online...

That these customs and traditions began when Usenet was much smaller and quite different in nature
in no way lessens the anger many users feel when these customs and traditions are violated. One such
custom is the tradition and belief that it is rude to advertise for profit in Usenet newsgroups.

Advertising is widely seen as an 'off-topic' intrusion into the discussions of any particular
newsgroup (newsgroup is the Usenet word for discussion group or bulletin board). Each newsgroup has
a specific set of subjects it is intended to cover, and in order for newsgroups to function as
effective discussion forums, it is important that people stay 'on-topic'. If everyone - even a
meager 10% of newsgroup posters - disregarded the particular topics each newsgroup is intended to
cover and simply posted whatever they wanted wherever they want, the entire system would break down
into chaos and meaninglessness.

Due to the decentralized nature of Usenet, there is no one person or body which can "enforce" the
custom of staying on-topic. It falls on each user to help preserve the culture of open discussion
and free speech that Usenet has come to embody by not posting off-topic material.

This, of course, includes advertising. Advertising is by far the most pervasive form of off-topic
posting, and therefore, gets most of the heat.

An analogy
----------
If an analogy will help you to visualize the situation, imagine a meeting at your workplace
or school.

At this meeting, people are discussing a certain issue -- for example, getting new sidewalks
installed downtown or getting new schoolbooks for the elementary school, or what to do about the new
product your company is planning on introducing.

In the midst of the discussions on the new sidewalks or textbooks or product, someone walks into the
room, interrupts everyone, then reads an advertisement for a local restaurant. He or she then leaves
without waiting for comment.

Now imagine if this happened over and over again each time your group tried to hold a meeting. Every
time someone tried to make a point, in walks some other stranger who reads an ad for some business
that has nothing to do with the subject of the meeting.

It would soon become rather difficult to hold effective meetings, wouldn't it?

Similarly, it's very difficult to keep Usenet newsgroups interesting and useful when people deluge
newsgroups with advertisements.

How to advertise on Usenet
--------------------------
*.forsale and *.marketplace newsgroups

There are many newsgroups directly involved in selling. You can generally spot them by the word
"forsale" or "marketplace" in their names.

For example, rec.games.board.marketplace is a newsgroup where people post for-sale and want-to-buy
notices about board games they want to buy or sell.

Similarly, the misc.forsale.* hierarchy is full of newsgroups for buying and selling various
computers, monitors, printers, devices, and so forth, as well as misc.forsale.non-computer.*, for
selling stuff.

You can access the FAQ and archives via the Web using these URLs:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/bicycles-faq/top.html

"Eric SPAM KING needs the $$$$" <[email protected]> wrote ...
> I am auctioning a 54cm Colnago in the Mapei team colors. I am going to
buy
> a cross bike and need the money. The frame is a Master Extra light from
2000.
> The fork is a Prescia steel (STEEL?????) straight blade in matching
colors. The frameset
> is a 9.5 out of 10 in condition. Just abnormally low wear and tear for a 1999-year bike. There are
> less than 5 chips in the paint on the entire bike!!!!!!! The bike comes equipped with full Ultegra
> and brand new
(never
> ridden) Ultegra STI levers. You can guarantee perfect shifting with the
new
> levers. The wheels are 105 (cheap)/Mavic CXP21. The wheels are brand new
too! I
> have never ridden the wheels. I want to keep my wheels and am supplying them at no additional
> charge. The saddle is a 135gram Selle Italia SLR. The bar and stem are ITM threaded (100mm). I
> have Cinelli Spinacci ultralights on the bars for the long rides. The seatpost is an American
> Classics aluminum post. No pedals. Pictures are available upon request (serious requests only).
> THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!!!! I wish I could keep it,
but my
> race bike (C40w/Record) and a new cross bike sound like a better pair.

Eric the Fred.

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:57:15 GMT, "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Please read this "Eric R. Gott SPAM KING needs the $$$$" <[email protected]>
>
>Use rec.bicycles.marketplace for selling bikes and bike parts. This newsgroup is about Racing of
>Bikes, teams, strategy, races, and is *not your personal "For Sale" platform* Thanks!

And like the know-it-all idiot that you are, you cross-posted your reply to all the other groups as
well. Use your modem for a paperweight and get off the Internet. Thanks!

Why don't you just reply to the guy... "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]

> new
> > levers. The wheels are 105 (cheap)/Mavic CXP21. The wheels are brand
new
> too! I
> > have never ridden the wheels. I want to keep my wheels and am supplying them at no additional
> > charge. The saddle is a 135gram Selle Italia SLR. The bar and stem are ITM threaded (100mm). I
> > have Cinelli Spinacci ultralights on the bars for the long rides. The seatpost is an American
> > Classics aluminum post. No pedals. Pictures are available upon request (serious requests only).
> > THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!!!! I wish I could keep it,
> but my
> > race bike (C40w/Record) and a new cross bike sound like a better pair.
>
> Eric the Fred.
> >

> > Eric
> >
> > [email protected]
>

> > take off the nospam in the email address to email me.

Step one: Dude advertises bike for available on ebay, appropriately, here. Possible cross posting
leads to Step two: diatribe by dude #2 about how it is inappropriate to post on rec.bikes.racing or
whatever Step three: Dude #2 inappropriately crossposts to this newsgroup.

Live and learn, or at least I hope somebody does.
B. Plaugherius