Ebay, now these look dodgy!

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you
know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:01:03 -0000, MSA <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>Blimey, there's loads of 'em, what's going on?
>
> Somewhere Out There is a bike shop with a broken window...

Don't think so. This looks like a more amateurish cousin of the Cannondale fraudster. There are no
actual bikes (or other goods) to sell, they're purely 'virtual'.

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

Dene Wilby wrote:

> Check out the full list of stuff he is selling, how come they all show 2 bids with £8,888.88?
> strange.
>
> http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=derengelauferden&include=0&since=-
> 1&sort=3 &rows=50

I wondered whether it was just to lock out the bidding and force people down the Buy Now route.
In any event I have contacted them and they have my bike brand new boxed in all sizes. I just
need to send them a cheque or money order and when it has cleared they will Fedex me my bike. So
yes its a scam.

Tony

Reply to MSA

Oh, I think you have to look at the auctions he'd won - just think how guilty we'd all have felt if
one of them had been e.g. "Totally legal containerload of laptops, plasma tellies & posh bikes"

--
Mark, UK. Nobody can be lucky all the time; so when your luck deserts you in some fashion don't
think you've been abandoned in your prime but rather that you're saving up your ration.

> Don't think so. This looks like a more amateurish cousin of the Cannondale fraudster. There are no
> actual bikes (or other goods) to sell, they're purely 'virtual'.

What I hate is that there is no effective way to report these frauds to ebay and get them taken down
urgently. This guy (or these guys) just keep repeating the same scam over and over and getting away
with it, ripping people off while Ebay's hopeless help system provides no way of effectively
stopping it. The only way would be to get them taken down within minutes or hours of them being put
up, and Ebay doesn't provide a route by which this can happen. It's really bad that virtually the
only way users who recognise and spot the fraud can respond is to post another auction with a scam
warning subject line, or try to bid up the items so that noone else would bid on them.

Rich

I think that you will find all have been removed now.
John.
http://www.pbase.com/john28july
news:[email protected]...