Ebay Rechargeable Headlights- Do They Work?

I love those gadgets that I can recharge while peddling, it's not only clever but it's also giving me something without paying for batteries.

Sunflogun said:
I love those gadgets that I can recharge while peddling, it's not only clever but it's also giving me something without paying for batteries.
Dynamo's? I've heard they are pretty useful but have a big hit on your performance where it's like you're on a steep incline all the time you're using it.

Not one you can stick on a bike (or it could, if you used some sticky tape I suppose) but my dad has a rechargeable light where you wind a handle on the back of it to get some charge, It's a pretty nice gadget.

Susimi said:
Dynamo's? I've heard they are pretty useful but have a big hit on your performance where it's like you're on a steep incline all the time you're using it.

Not one you can stick on a bike (or it could, if you used some sticky tape I suppose) but my dad has a rechargeable light where you wind a handle on the back of it to get some charge, It's a pretty nice gadget.
The dynamo powered light is good if you are saving on energy but it takes a toll on your legs somehow.

In this digital and electronic age, surely the rechargeables are taking over our life. There's no need to mention the phone and the power bank (portable charger). So with that rechargeable light, I guess it's a practical accessory to biking especially for those who ride at night.

Actually the watts used to pedal a dynamo like the Schmidt SON is 1.5 watts which you will never notice. These are hubs used in touring with loaded bikes climbing grades and people don't complain.

Yep, the resistance is minimal and that is great because our effort is not increased, but we put our effort generating energy for our own benefit. :)

Was it always like that or have they become more efficient?

From the one I heard about going back almost 5 years now he said he hated it because it felt like he was peddling twice as harder when it was on. Since then you can imagine I steered well clear of them.

Susimi said:
Was it always like that or have they become more efficient?

From the one I heard about going back almost 5 years now he said he hated it because it felt like he was peddling twice as harder when it was on. Since then you can imagine I steered well clear of them.
They've become much more efficient, the one I listed is the most efficient, they have other brands of dynohubs but their not as efficient as Schmidt SON hub. Peter White is an expert at this sort of thing, you can read about the various hubs here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ And if you have a question about how difficult the others are to pedal just e-mail them. BUT, even 5 years ago the good ones were probably averaging 2 to 3 watts which is still nothing, that's the difference between a good rolling tire and an average rolling tire, not a bad rolling tire! So your friend was over exaggerating the effect of the hub unless he was using one of those bottle generators that worked by rolling against the tire, but even the newer ones of those styles are really well made now as well, or there was something wrong with his hub.

I would assume as all rechargeable things that it will work very well at the beginning, but as the battery ages, it will take less charge and will ultimately die. If you get a new battery no and then, you should be fine.

I've had huge success with rechargeable lights and tools, so much success I would never buy a corded tool ever again if there is a battery one made for a tool that I need. Do batteries age? of course, but so far my bats in my Philips Saferide are starting their 4th season with the same battery life they had when they were new; as I said earlier my bat powered toothbrush is 9 years old and is still lasting 7 days between charges just as it did when it was new. I have no problem trusting (at least name brand) rechargeable batteries to last a long time.

Froze said:
They've become much more efficient, the one I listed is the most efficient, they have other brands of dynohubs but their not as efficient as Schmidt SON hub. Peter White is an expert at this sort of thing, you can read about the various hubs here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ And if you have a question about how difficult the others are to pedal just e-mail them. BUT, even 5 years ago the good ones were probably averaging 2 to 3 watts which is still nothing, that's the difference between a good rolling tire and an average rolling tire, not a bad rolling tire! So your friend was over exaggerating the effect of the hub unless he was using one of those bottle generators that worked by rolling against the tire, but even the newer ones of those styles are really well made now as well, or there was something wrong with his hub.
I think he had that one that rolled against the tyre.

I will have to check out some dynamos now, it's got me interested to look into them a bit more.

I would concur with the other ones about Dynamos, the upgrade in technology in them have been great. Back in the day, when they were new I would not have recommended them, and they were regarded rather negatively for a good reason. I don't really feel the difference in effort with a dynamo to be honest, but perhaps it does make some minuscule one, in sense of time and effort, if you try with it and without it.

So it sounds like they are not that big a hit to your performance?

Bit like having the air con on in the car kinda situation?