ebay scam?

You know, $6200 (his "minimum" bid) buys a nice, brand new, Honda CBR 600
F4i...bicycle economics sometimes make me burst into fits of laughter....

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

news:UJa9a.33182$A%[email protected]...

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Whaddaya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714941922&category=27948
> He has two of them and will generously send me one if I send him $1280.00
via
> Western Union....

Don't send anything to a seller with no past, who has been registered less than 30 days. If it is a
ripoff, Ebay will not cover you're entire loss (they offset some, but I can't remember the
particulars).

Also, who the hell is spending over 6,000 on that bike?

Somehting's up with that. The seller is either oblivious (a 6,000 Scalpel?) or a scam. Try to
use an escrow - the money is held 3rd party until item satisfactorily arrives - if you must, but
I'd be wary.

Chris

>Whaddaya think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714941922&category=27948 He has
>two of them and will generously send me one if I send him $1280.00 via Western Union....

Private auction, no previous history. Sound like a scam to me. Someone was pulling the same thing
with a nice telescope recently. In that case the "seller" snagged the photos from a previous ad and
used them. The scope owner of the scope verified that he was not selling the scope. 100% Scam.

In this case the photo is clearly straight from some advertising photo, certainly not a photo of the
purported bike in question.

Looks to me like the same scam. Stolen photo and all. Ask him to Email you some very specific photos
of the bikes. The serial numbers for example might be good.

Jon Isaacs

"Chris" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:54:36 UTC

-> (they offset some, but I can't remember the particulars). -> max $175

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

>Whaddaya think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714941922&category=27948 He has
>two of them and will generously send me one if I send him $1280.00 via Western Union....

Obviously a scam!

1. With a bid over $6000, why would he let you have one for $1280?
2. No history.
3. Private bidding, so as to conceal his buddies shill bids.
4. Non-ebay (read: unprotected) offer to complete the sale
5. No actual picture.

So friggin' obvious!

> "Chris" [email protected] wrote: >Also, who the hell is
spending over 6,000 on that bike?

Actually his original opening bid was $800.00 which cought my eye. I'm sure this was the intention.
Between the zero rating, a new seller, private auction and the fact that the two bids were placed
within two minutes of each other makes me sure this is a scam. I just hope nobody gets caught in it.
I've heard of them but never seen one in progress. I'm tempted to get a couple of friends to bid the
thing up to $20,000.00 or something

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TDWFL <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Whaddaya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714941922&category=2 7948
> > He has two of them and will generously send me one if I send him
$1280.00 via
> > Western Union....
>
> If he's already got a bid of over $6000 for the first one, why would
he
> sell you the other for $1280? I smell a rat! Why is this a "Private auction?" Besides the top tube
> is badly bent. ;->

Yah, and for $6K you get only one fork leg. I guess it is extra for two. -- Jay Beattie.

"S. Anderson" wrote:
> You know, $6200 (his "minimum" bid) buys a nice, brand new, Honda CBR 600
> F4i...bicycle economics sometimes make me burst into fits of laughter....

The opening bid amount was $800 so that was his minimum bid. It's up to $6200 now (for the next
bidder if any) because it's an auction.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > TDWFL <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Whaddaya think?
> > >
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714941922&category=2 7948
> > > He has two of them and will generously send me one if I send him
> $1280.00 via
> > > Western Union....
> >
> > If he's already got a bid of over $6000 for the first one, why would
> he
> > sell you the other for $1280? I smell a rat! Why is this a "Private auction?" Besides the top
> > tube is badly bent. ;->
>
> Yah, and for $6K you get only one fork leg. I guess it is extra for two. -- Jay Beattie.

I notice that eBay has pulled his auction.

Sorry, but I don't understand this entirely. When I checked it out, it said the minimum bid was
$6200. If someone bid $800 and it's an auction, isn't the next bid, even if it's $801, the winning
bid? I assumed the "minimum" bid is really a reserve of some sort? Meaning, if he didn't get a bid
or $6200 he was not legally forced to sell? Haven't bought much on e-bay as you can probably tell...

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Jay Beattie wrote:

>"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> TDWFL <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Whaddaya think?
>> >
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714941922&category=2 7948
>> > He has two of them and will generously send me one if I send him
>$1280.00 via
>> > Western Union....
>>
>> If he's already got a bid of over $6000 for the first one, why would
>he
>> sell you the other for $1280? I smell a rat! Why is this a "Private auction?" Besides the top
>> tube is badly bent. ;->
>
>Yah, and for $6K you get only one fork leg. I guess it is extra for two. -- Jay Beattie.

Since it's now off eBay, what kind of bike was it? Was it one of the Colnago CF1 or CF2 actions I've
always been suspicious of?

Anyone who has the spare cash laying around to buy a 6k bike on an auction site would, supposedly,
also have the additional 300 or so a round trip air ticket would cost to meet with the seller in
person. Which is the only way I'd pay for an item of this scale, but I'm not spending 6k on a bike
any day soon, caus I'd be sleeping in the garage next to it from then on :) (wife's rule)

From: John B. Rees [email protected] http://www.jrees.net/

>John Rees [email protected] wrote: >Since it's now off eBay, what kind of bike
was it? Was it one of the Colnago
>CF1 or CF2 actions I've always been suspicious of?

Hardly! It was a Cannnondale Scalpel (4000 I believe). I'm not exactly sure why it was at $6000+.
I've been emailing the "seller" to see if he'll hang himself.

tim

In article <[email protected]>, John Rees <[email protected]> writes:

>Since it's now off eBay, what kind of bike was it? Was it one of the Colnago CF1 or CF2 actions
>I've always been suspicious of?
>
>Anyone who has the spare cash laying around to buy a 6k bike on an auction site would, supposedly,
>also have the additional 300 or so a round trip air ticket would cost to meet with the seller in
>person. Which is the only way I'd pay for an item of this scale, but I'm not spending 6k on a bike
>any day soon, caus I'd be sleeping in the garage next to it from then on :) (wife's rule)

It was something like "Cannondale Scapel" a fully suspended mountain bike type thing. ?Does
Cannondale even make a bicycle that goes for THAT much . . .even new?

Would you be sleeping in the garage because of the expenditure or because she wouldn't allow the
bicycle in the bedroom for security reasons? (or both?)

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

"S. Anderson" wrote:
> Sorry, but I don't understand this entirely. When I checked it out, it said the minimum bid was
> $6200. If someone bid $800 and it's an auction, isn't the next bid, even if it's $801, the
> winning bid? I assumed the "minimum" bid is really a reserve of some sort? Meaning, if he didn't
> get a bid or $6200 he was not legally forced to sell? Haven't bought much on e-bay as you can
> probably tell...

Clearly, you don't understand how Ebay works. That puts you in the same boat with about 90% of the
buyers on Ebay. That minimum bid of $6200 is not set by the seller. It's set by the previous 2
highest bidders. Someone has already bid $6000 and someone else has bid at least $100 more than
$6000 so the current bid under the Ebay system is $6100. When bids are that high, Ebay requires
larger bid increments ($100 in this case). You need to beat the current bid ($6100) by the current
bid increment ($100) so the minimum bid now is $6200. With the Ebay system, the final bid is
actually set by the second highest bidder.

Oh, and just because the minimum bid was $800 when there were no bids, that doesn't mean the initial
bidder can't bid much higher; in this case, it had to be $6000 in order for the second bidder to
drive it to $6100.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/index_popup.html?new=bid.html

I do suspect shill bidding though. There's just too many signs. I notice it doesn't even seem to be
in the database anymore. That suggests Ebay noticed suspicious behaviour and removed it.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clearly, you don't understand how Ebay works. That puts you in the same boat with about 90% of the
> buyers on Ebay. That minimum bid of $6200 is not set by the seller. It's set by the previous 2
> highest bidders. Someone has already bid $6000 and someone else has bid at least $100 more than
> $6000 so the current bid under the Ebay system is $6100. When bids are that high, Ebay requires
> larger bid increments ($100 in this case). You need to beat the current bid ($6100) by the current
> bid increment ($100) so the minimum bid now is $6200. With the Ebay system, the final bid is
> actually set by the second highest bidder.

And although the "current bid" is shown as $6100, it may actually be much higher. If the previous
high bid were $6000, and the current bidder bid $7000, it would show up as $6100 because of the way
the proxy bidding works.

Art Harris

Chris wrote:
> Somehting's up with that. The seller is either oblivious (a 6,000 Scalpel?) or a scam. Try to use
> an escrow - the money is held 3rd party until item satisfactorily arrives - if you must, but I'd
> be wary.

Another scam people need to be aware of is that not all escrow sites are legitimate. There have been
recent cases of a scam artist setting up his own bogus escrow web site, and insisting that buyers
use it to make their purchases.

In the last case I read about, the buyer looked at the whois records for the fake escrow site and
was able to track down its ownership before getting ripped off.

Luck,

-dreq