eBay scammers are funny

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gooserider, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    Does anybody fall for them? I mean, they don't even make an effort to seem
    legitimate. A complete Orbea tri bike for $600, and it's being sold by
    someone in the UK who previously only sold women's clothing and knick
    knacks? eBay needs to get on this, but I can't imagine anybody being dumb
    enough to get scammed...

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > Does anybody fall for them? I mean, they don't even make an effort to seem
    > legitimate. A complete Orbea tri bike for $600, and it's being sold by
    > someone in the UK who previously only sold women's clothing and knick
    > knacks? eBay needs to get on this, but I can't imagine anybody being dumb
    > enough to get scammed...

    Well I don't think that anyone who has any experience buying anything on
    ebay would fall victim to this scam. I buy and sell stuff on ebay, and
    knowing a little something about bikes, and how to check on a sellers
    background on ebay. I am pretty sure *I* would be very wary, and not be a
    victim.
    Ken

  3. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > Does anybody fall for them? I mean, they don't even make an effort to seem
    > legitimate. A complete Orbea tri bike for $600, and it's being sold by
    > someone in the UK who previously only sold women's clothing and knick
    > knacks? eBay needs to get on this, but I can't imagine anybody being dumb
    > enough to get scammed...

    You never know though, and that's the problem, could be the person has
    the bike, wants to sell it, and figured ebay was a good way. Maybe a
    dealer offered $500 for this particular bike, and they thought if they
    could get $600 then they would be happy, without knowing the true value
    of it.....

    Without knowing the condition of the bike, it could be a old, and in
    poor condition. Is there an actual photo.....

  4. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gooserider wrote:
    > > Does anybody fall for them? I mean, they don't even make an effort to

    seem
    > > legitimate. A complete Orbea tri bike for $600, and it's being sold by
    > > someone in the UK who previously only sold women's clothing and knick
    > > knacks? eBay needs to get on this, but I can't imagine anybody being

    dumb
    > > enough to get scammed...

    > You never know though, and that's the problem, could be the person has
    > the bike, wants to sell it, and figured ebay was a good way. Maybe a
    > dealer offered $500 for this particular bike, and they thought if they
    > could get $600 then they would be happy, without knowing the true value
    > of it.....
    >
    > Without knowing the condition of the bike, it could be a old, and in
    > poor condition. Is there an actual photo.....

    No, my point is you DO know it's fake. There are some dead giveaways:

    1) Seller is offering a high end bike, but feedback shows no bike related
    purchases. This is fishy, because people who are in to bikes tend to buy and
    sell other bike stuff on eBay. ---hijacked account.

    2) Seller has just created account and is offering high end bike.

    3) Seller is registered in the UK. No offense to our British readers, but
    the vast majority of the scammers register in the UK.

    4) Seller does not accept PayPal, and asks for Western Union instead. DEAD
    GIVEAWAY.

    It's not hard to figure out who the scammers are.

  5. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > "The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Gooserider wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anybody fall for them? I mean, they don't even make an effort to

    > seem
    >
    >>>legitimate. A complete Orbea tri bike for $600, and it's being sold by
    >>>someone in the UK who previously only sold women's clothing and knick
    >>>knacks? eBay needs to get on this, but I can't imagine anybody being

    > dumb
    >
    >>>enough to get scammed...

    >>You never know though, and that's the problem, could be the person has
    >>the bike, wants to sell it, and figured ebay was a good way. Maybe a
    >>dealer offered $500 for this particular bike, and they thought if they
    >>could get $600 then they would be happy, without knowing the true value
    >>of it.....
    >>
    >>Without knowing the condition of the bike, it could be a old, and in
    >>poor condition. Is there an actual photo.....
    >>

    > No, my point is you DO know it's fake. There are some dead giveaways:
    >
    > 1) Seller is offering a high end bike, but feedback shows no bike related
    > purchases. This is fishy, because people who are in to bikes tend to buy and
    > sell other bike stuff on eBay. ---hijacked account.
    >
    > 2) Seller has just created account and is offering high end bike.
    >
    > 3) Seller is registered in the UK. No offense to our British readers, but
    > the vast majority of the scammers register in the UK.
    >
    > 4) Seller does not accept PayPal, and asks for Western Union instead. DEAD
    > GIVEAWAY.
    >
    > It's not hard to figure out who the scammers are.

    Since IIRC you did not post the auction number, it's hard for everyone
    else to know the details.....

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Gooserider wrote:
    > > > Does anybody fall for them? I mean, they don't even make an effort to

    > seem
    > > > legitimate. A complete Orbea tri bike for $600, and it's being sold by
    > > > someone in the UK who previously only sold women's clothing and knick
    > > > knacks? eBay needs to get on this, but I can't imagine anybody being

    > dumb
    > > > enough to get scammed...

    > > You never know though, and that's the problem, could be the person has
    > > the bike, wants to sell it, and figured ebay was a good way. Maybe a
    > > dealer offered $500 for this particular bike, and they thought if they
    > > could get $600 then they would be happy, without knowing the true value
    > > of it.....
    > >
    > > Without knowing the condition of the bike, it could be a old, and in
    > > poor condition. Is there an actual photo.....
    > >

    > No, my point is you DO know it's fake. There are some dead giveaways:
    >
    > 1) Seller is offering a high end bike, but feedback shows no bike related
    > purchases. This is fishy, because people who are in to bikes tend to buy

    and
    > sell other bike stuff on eBay. ---hijacked account.

    Well this could be because they have the bike and just want to get rid of
    it.

    > 2) Seller has just created account and is offering high end bike.

    This is very odd, I would look behind the curtains on this one.

    > 3) Seller is registered in the UK. No offense to our British readers, but
    > the vast majority of the scammers register in the UK.

    I have no opinion on this one.

    > 4) Seller does not accept PayPal, and asks for Western Union instead. DEAD
    > GIVEAWAY.

    I agree this is a giveaway.

    > It's not hard to figure out who the scammers are.

  7. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gooserider wrote:
    > > "The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > seem

    > > dumb

    > >>You never know though, and that's the problem, could be the person has
    > >>the bike, wants to sell it, and figured ebay was a good way. Maybe a
    > >>dealer offered $500 for this particular bike, and they thought if they
    > >>could get $600 then they would be happy, without knowing the true value
    > >>of it.....
    > >>
    > >>Without knowing the condition of the bike, it could be a old, and in
    > >>poor condition. Is there an actual photo.....
    > >>

    > > No, my point is you DO know it's fake. There are some dead giveaways:
    > >
    > > 1) Seller is offering a high end bike, but feedback shows no bike

    related
    > > purchases. This is fishy, because people who are in to bikes tend to buy

    and
    > > sell other bike stuff on eBay. ---hijacked account.
    > >
    > > 2) Seller has just created account and is offering high end bike.
    > >
    > > 3) Seller is registered in the UK. No offense to our British readers,

    but
    > > the vast majority of the scammers register in the UK.
    > >
    > > 4) Seller does not accept PayPal, and asks for Western Union instead.

    DEAD
    > > GIVEAWAY.
    > >
    > > It's not hard to figure out who the scammers are.
    > >

    > Since IIRC you did not post the auction number, it's hard for everyone
    > else to know the details.....

    Auction is already pulled, since I informed eBay. Look , I'm not just
    talking about one particular auction, but scams in general. I've given you
    the dead giveaways to look for---if you don't want to believe me, then good
    luck bidding in the future. If you want to be safe, don't bid on high end
    bicycles from people who've never sold bike stuff before, are registered in
    the UK(unless they have a history of selling bike stuff), are newly
    registered, or don't accept PayPal. :)

  8. "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > No, my point is you DO know it's fake. There are some dead giveaways:
    >
    > 1) Seller is offering a high end bike, but feedback shows no bike related
    > purchases. This is fishy, because people who are in to bikes tend to buy
    > and
    > sell other bike stuff on eBay. ---hijacked account.
    >
    > 2) Seller has just created account and is offering high end bike.

    Common sense dictates you shouldn't buy high-end items from new users, I
    sold an expensive Sony Laptop when I had around 10 feedback and got a good
    price and plenty of bidders which shows how trusting people generally are.

    > 3) Seller is registered in the UK. No offense to our British readers, but
    > the vast majority of the scammers register in the UK.

    eBay shouldn't allow people to register to sell on the UK site unless they
    go through the same bank account check Paypal users go through, ie withdraw
    an amount from 0 to 99 pence from a UK bank, verify the amount to activate
    your account. They could ask for a scan of a birth certificate, passport or
    current credit card to prove identity. They should also refuse connection
    to anyone with an IP address not registered as a UK address. There is
    virtually no policing of the UK site yet it wouldn't surprise me if it was
    the 2nd most profitable in the eBay portfolio.

    There were hundreds of websites highlighting people being scammed out of
    millions of dollars before eBay UK was even created, considering there is
    nowhere near that amount of fraud going on now at the eBay UK site I assume
    the american site has tightened up it's registration policies to make it
    harder for scammers if the vast majority of them now register in the UK. I
    hope they bring those tougher rules over to the UK site.

    It shouldn't be differcult to use Google to find sites of disgruntled eBay
    users and register the nationalities of those sites to see where most of
    those scammed dollars are coming from. Official figures in dollars of
    registered claims under eBays and Paypals buyer protection schemes should
    also be available in their respective stock market reports.

    > 4) Seller does not accept PayPal, and asks for Western Union instead. DEAD
    > GIVEAWAY.

    No offense to our American readers but 50% of the time you will need to
    western union that money to somebody in the USA, the other 50% of the time
    to someone in Eastern Europe despite the auction advertising the item as
    being in the UK. Never ever use western union.