eBay spoof

Frogleg

Guest
Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
logo and header format. The subject was something like "eBay
account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
username and password.

The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
'Security Center.'

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
> logo and header format. The subject was something like
> "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
> username and password.
>
> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
> Center.'

This has been going on for a while. CitiBank has the same
problem. You should NEVER enter a password in response to
an e mail.

Frogleg wrote:
> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
> logo and header format. The subject was something like
> "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
> username and password.
>
> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
> Center.'

This happened to me a couple of days ago my DSL ISP account,
too. I was like, uh huh, I pay my phone bill asswipe so I
know my account isn't about to be cut off.

Any time anyone gets something stupid enough to ask for
login ID, password information, credit card information
(like I used a credit card to set up my friggin telephone)
STOP, LOOK, LISTEN. Contact the vendor/service provider
immediately.

I can't believe some people actually fall for these scams.
It's like opening an attachment in email from someone you
don't know.

I'll tell you right now, when I send you an email with a
photo or something, I will write something in the body of
the email which describes what I'm sending and why. That
way you know it's from me. If it doesn't have that
personalized little memo from me, chances are it ain't from
me so delete it.

Jill

Ebay states that they never send emails for anything, when I
receive one I forward it to [email protected] and always I
receive a real response telling me that the email in
question was not from them. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to a web
page from a link in the emal received and enter ANY kind of
information. That email will have several links to the true
web page ( for example the ebay logo and links at the bottom
of the page) but the main one ( the one you have to click to
"renew" or anything is directed to the scammers home page)
This applys for anything, I have received emails like that
from ebay, paypal etc The same for thos emails that it seems
you got from an ebay user as a reply for "question for the
seller" if you don't havew anything to do wih it forward it
to [email protected] For bellsouth.net email users: all the
spam that I receive I forward it to
[email protected] My outlook is setup to have all
the spam in the deleted items, I check once a day and
forward them all togheter

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:45:55 GMT, "Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
>> eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
>> like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
>> enter my username and password.
>>
>> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
>> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
>> 'Security Center.'
>
>This has been going on for a while. CitiBank has the same
>problem. You should NEVER enter a password in response to
>an e mail.

I didn't think I needed to add that I simply forwarded it
to eBay. Your advice was aimed toward others, right? :)
I posted because this was the first example I'd received
and I didn't know if others might just be having a
similar problem.

BTW, some newsgroup participants are receiving
bogus/dangerous e-mail purporting to come from other
members, frequently with old addresses spoofed. Geez, will
this never end? I'm about to refuse to correspond with
anyone who uses Outlook -- too easy to harvest their
address books.

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:45:55 GMT, "Kswck"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> I didn't think I needed to add that I simply forwarded it
> to eBay. Your advice was aimed toward others, right? :) I
> posted because this was the first example I'd received and
> I didn't know if others might just be having a similar
> problem.
>
> BTW, some newsgroup participants are receiving
> bogus/dangerous e-mail purporting to come from other
> members, frequently with old addresses spoofed. Geez, will
> this never end? I'm about to refuse to correspond with
> anyone who uses Outlook -- too easy to harvest their
> address books.

I "assume" that you expanded and included the full header
information in your forward. If not then it's useless. Even
with the headers, chances are nothing will happen. YMMV

--
Steve

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
> eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
> like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
> enter my username and password.
>
> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
> 'Security Center.'

What really cracks me up is getting one of those when I've
never, ever used EBay!

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:39:14 GMT, Frogleg
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
> > eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
> > like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
> > enter my username and password.
> >
> > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of
> > thing. Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
> > 'Security Center.'
>
> What really cracks me up is getting one of those when I've
> never, ever used EBay!

I've used ebay, but I send postal money orders, so I don't
use paypal. I get a paypal dunning notice telling me I would
be charged $15 to my account if I don't log on and confirm
all my information. They even asked for bank and credit card
numbers in the original email. Since they indicated it was
from ebay, I contacted ebay and got the address from them
for paypal. Both indicated that this was a scam.

I don't send anyone jack. I got a really bad computer virus
from an attachment asking for information on an account
with Wells Fargo Mortgage once. I opened it only because we
were having an ongoing disagreement with Wells Fargo at the
time. Now if I don't recognize the name in the email it
goes plonk.

-Ginny

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
> logo and header format. The subject was something like
> "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
> username and password.
>
> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
> Center.'

I got the idea that some really fishy things were going on
over the internet when I failed to get the funds that were
promised to me by an ex-official from Nigeria.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:15:12 GMT, Frogleg
<[email protected]> wrote:

> BTW, some newsgroup participants are receiving
> bogus/dangerous e-mail purporting to come from other
> members, frequently with old addresses spoofed. Geez,
> will this never end? I'm about to refuse to correspond
> with anyone who uses Outlook -- too easy to harvest their
> address books.

I think most people have antivirus protection these days,
but they don't update their data bases regularly enough.
Viruses are smarter too - they are not limited to Outlook
and can harvest addresses anywhere on the HD. I don't know
if they are limited to the partition they launch in or not.
The average home user has only one partition, so that means
if your address is in their newsreader... it will be found.

Most people have antivirus protection these days, but they
don't update their virus data bases regularly enough.
Viruses are getting more vicious too - they are not limited
to hitting Outlook and can harvest addresses anywhere on the
HD. I don't know if they are limited to the partition they
launch in or not. The average home user has only one
partition, so that means if your address is in their
newsreader.. it will be found.

I like to use a "real" address to post with. Fortunately, I
can have more than one mailbox with my ISP and can use more
than one "personality" on my email program. I think it's
time for me to set up a new mailbox for posting purposes.

I share your pain!
:-\

PS: home users - look at AVG and Avast. They are free for
home use. I use Avast and love it.

Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
> logo and header format. The subject was something like
> "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
> username and password.
>
> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
> Center.'

I've gotten dozens of them... I also get them for paypal.

I forward all to "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

One learns to recognize these things....

_NEVER_ give out passwords and financial information based
on an e-mail! Always check with what you know is a
legitimate source first.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
> logo and header format. The subject was something like
> "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
> username and password.
>
> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
> Center.'

Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, and others all being "spoofed" in
this manner...and the sites linked to look just like the
real thing. The key is to pay close attention. For example,
the Ebay ones will take you to a link to fill in
information that Ebay never asked of you in the first
place, such as social security numbers, mother's maiden
name, etc. Also, the cgi-bin part of the address is
missing. With PayPal, watch for e-mails that are addressed
as "Dear PayPal user" and such. PayPal will only address
you by the name on your account. It is very important that
people learn not to be so free with their personal
information. Never give out any information that isn't
absolutely required and always verify who you're giving it
to before giving it. Heck, I don't even give Best Buy and
the like my zip code or phone number when they ask.

kimberly

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:39:14 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]>
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
>logo and header format. The subject was something like
>"eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
>username and password.
>
>The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
>Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
>'Security Center.'

Same thing happened to me, but they also wanted to know my
bank, account nos., SSN, as well as my username and password
in eBay. Like I'd even have given all that informatin to
eBay? I don't *think* so.

I forwarded the whole thing to eBay.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their
level and then beat you with experience."

To reply, replace "shcox" with "cox"

Nexis wrote:

> Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, and others all being "spoofed" in
> this manner...

I think spoofed is too weak a word.

> and the sites linked to look just like the real thing.

I can't believe you actually looked at them.

> The key is to pay close attention

You misspelled NO! attention.

Never ever ever open emails like that, never mind any
attachments they contain. Just delete them.

nancy

In article <SEM2c.16225$id3.6840@fed1read01>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
> > eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
> > like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
> > enter my username and password.
> >
> > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
> > 'Security Center.'
>
> Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, and others all being "spoofed" in
> this manner...and the sites linked to look just like the
> real thing. The key is to pay close attention. For
> example, the Ebay ones will take you to a link to fill in
> information that Ebay never asked of you in the first
> place, such as social security numbers, mother's maiden
> name, etc. Also, the cgi-bin part of the address is
> missing.

Not necessarily... The last one that I got not only had "cgi-
bin" in the URL, it was an https site as well!

They are learning and getting better at this!

If in doubt, send any and all of these to Spoof@ whatever
site they are emulating. The company will get in touch with
you if there is really a problem.

--

Katra wrote:

> > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
> > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
> > 'Security Center.'
>
> I've gotten dozens of them... I also get them for paypal.

My coworker, who has been buying things on ebay recently,
got one recently and was suspicious. I got one the same day
and have never been on ebay or used paypal.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>

> > > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of
> > > thing. Down at the bottom of the home page is a link
> > > to 'Security Center.'
> >
> > I've gotten dozens of them... I also get them for
> > paypal.
>
> My coworker, who has been buying things on ebay recently,
> got one recently and was suspicious. I got one the same
> day and have never been on ebay or used paypal.

I think they harvest e-mails off of usenet and mail them to
everybody via spambot programs. <G> I started getting an
increased number when I posted on alt.marketing.online.ebay.

But that was before I munged my posting e-mail address. ;-)

I don't get as much spam as I used to and this new mailer
has a "bounce" option.

Gods I'm glad I finally gave up nyetscape!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:42:28 GMT, Steve Calvin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:45:55 GMT, "Kswck"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
><snip>
>> I didn't think I needed to add that I simply forwarded it
>> to eBay. Your advice was aimed toward others, right? :)
>> I posted because this was the first example I'd received
>> and I didn't know if others might just be having a
>> similar problem.

>I "assume" that you expanded and included the full header
>information in your forward. If not then it's useless. Even
>with the headers, chances are nothing will happen. YMMV

I did not. I followed eBay's security instructions which
were simply to forward it as is. They can expand the header
as well as I can.

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:42:28 GMT, Steve Calvin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>

> I did not. I followed eBay's security instructions which
> were simply to forward it as is. They can expand the
> header as well as I can.

Actually, that's not at all true which just goes to show
that they could not care less about it.

--
Steve

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:03:30 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Same thing happened to me, but they also wanted to know
> my bank, account nos., SSN, as well as my username and
> password in eBay. Like I'd even have given all that
> informatin to eBay? I don't *think* so.
>
> I forwarded the whole thing to eBay.

So what do you expect them to do? Contact the FEDs on them?
If they had a round file, I'm sure such forwards would be
there. If you're lucky, at least they log the complaints.