eBay spoof

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Frogleg, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    logo and header format. The subject was something like "eBay
    account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    username and password.

    The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    'Security Center.'

    Tags:

  2. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    > logo and header format. The subject was something like
    > "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    > username and password.
    >
    > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
    > Center.'

    This has been going on for a while. CitiBank has the same
    problem. You should NEVER enter a password in response to
    an e mail.

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Frogleg wrote:
    > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    > logo and header format. The subject was something like
    > "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    > username and password.
    >
    > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
    > Center.'

    This happened to me a couple of days ago my DSL ISP account,
    too. I was like, uh huh, I pay my phone bill asswipe so I
    know my account isn't about to be cut off.

    Any time anyone gets something stupid enough to ask for
    login ID, password information, credit card information
    (like I used a credit card to set up my friggin telephone)
    STOP, LOOK, LISTEN. Contact the vendor/service provider
    immediately.

    I can't believe some people actually fall for these scams.
    It's like opening an attachment in email from someone you
    don't know.

    I'll tell you right now, when I send you an email with a
    photo or something, I will write something in the body of
    the email which describes what I'm sending and why. That
    way you know it's from me. If it doesn't have that
    personalized little memo from me, chances are it ain't from
    me so delete it.

    Jill

  4. Barlovento

    Barlovento Guest

    Ebay states that they never send emails for anything, when I
    receive one I forward it to [email protected] and always I
    receive a real response telling me that the email in
    question was not from them. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to a web
    page from a link in the emal received and enter ANY kind of
    information. That email will have several links to the true
    web page ( for example the ebay logo and links at the bottom
    of the page) but the main one ( the one you have to click to
    "renew" or anything is directed to the scammers home page)
    This applys for anything, I have received emails like that
    from ebay, paypal etc The same for thos emails that it seems
    you got from an ebay user as a reply for "question for the
    seller" if you don't havew anything to do wih it forward it
    to [email protected] For bellsouth.net email users: all the
    spam that I receive I forward it to
    [email protected] My outlook is setup to have all
    the spam in the deleted items, I check once a day and
    forward them all togheter

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:39:14 GMT, Frogleg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    >logo and header format. The subject was something like
    >"eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    >username and password.
    >
    >The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    >Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    >'Security Center.'

  5. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:45:55 GMT, "Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
    >> eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
    >> like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
    >> enter my username and password.
    >>
    >> The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    >> Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    >> 'Security Center.'
    >
    >This has been going on for a while. CitiBank has the same
    >problem. You should NEVER enter a password in response to
    >an e mail.

    I didn't think I needed to add that I simply forwarded it
    to eBay. Your advice was aimed toward others, right? :)
    I posted because this was the first example I'd received
    and I didn't know if others might just be having a
    similar problem.

    BTW, some newsgroup participants are receiving
    bogus/dangerous e-mail purporting to come from other
    members, frequently with old addresses spoofed. Geez, will
    this never end? I'm about to refuse to correspond with
    anyone who uses Outlook -- too easy to harvest their
    address books.

  6. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Frogleg wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:45:55 GMT, "Kswck"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>
    > I didn't think I needed to add that I simply forwarded it
    > to eBay. Your advice was aimed toward others, right? :) I
    > posted because this was the first example I'd received and
    > I didn't know if others might just be having a similar
    > problem.
    >
    > BTW, some newsgroup participants are receiving
    > bogus/dangerous e-mail purporting to come from other
    > members, frequently with old addresses spoofed. Geez, will
    > this never end? I'm about to refuse to correspond with
    > anyone who uses Outlook -- too easy to harvest their
    > address books.

    I "assume" that you expanded and included the full header
    information in your forward. If not then it's useless. Even
    with the headers, chances are nothing will happen. YMMV

    --
    Steve

  7. Sf

    Sf Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
    > eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
    > like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
    > enter my username and password.
    >
    > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    > 'Security Center.'

    What really cracks me up is getting one of those when I've
    never, ever used EBay!

  8. "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:39:14 GMT, Frogleg
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
    > > eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
    > > like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
    > > enter my username and password.
    > >
    > > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of
    > > thing. Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    > > 'Security Center.'
    >
    > What really cracks me up is getting one of those when I've
    > never, ever used EBay!

    I've used ebay, but I send postal money orders, so I don't
    use paypal. I get a paypal dunning notice telling me I would
    be charged $15 to my account if I don't log on and confirm
    all my information. They even asked for bank and credit card
    numbers in the original email. Since they indicated it was
    from ebay, I contacted ebay and got the address from them
    for paypal. Both indicated that this was a scam.

    I don't send anyone jack. I got a really bad computer virus
    from an attachment asking for information on an account
    with Wells Fargo Mortgage once. I opened it only because we
    were having an ongoing disagreement with Wells Fargo at the
    time. Now if I don't recognize the name in the email it
    goes plonk.

    -Ginny

  9. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    > logo and header format. The subject was something like
    > "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    > username and password.
    >
    > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
    > Center.'

    I got the idea that some really fishy things were going on
    over the internet when I failed to get the funds that were
    promised to me by an ex-official from Nigeria.

  10. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:15:12 GMT, Frogleg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > BTW, some newsgroup participants are receiving
    > bogus/dangerous e-mail purporting to come from other
    > members, frequently with old addresses spoofed. Geez,
    > will this never end? I'm about to refuse to correspond
    > with anyone who uses Outlook -- too easy to harvest their
    > address books.

    I think most people have antivirus protection these days,
    but they don't update their data bases regularly enough.
    Viruses are smarter too - they are not limited to Outlook
    and can harvest addresses anywhere on the HD. I don't know
    if they are limited to the partition they launch in or not.
    The average home user has only one partition, so that means
    if your address is in their newsreader... it will be found.

    Most people have antivirus protection these days, but they
    don't update their virus data bases regularly enough.
    Viruses are getting more vicious too - they are not limited
    to hitting Outlook and can harvest addresses anywhere on the
    HD. I don't know if they are limited to the partition they
    launch in or not. The average home user has only one
    partition, so that means if your address is in their
    newsreader.. it will be found.

    I like to use a "real" address to post with. Fortunately, I
    can have more than one mailbox with my ISP and can use more
    than one "personality" on my email program. I think it's
    time for me to set up a new mailbox for posting purposes.

    I share your pain!
    :-\

    PS: home users - look at AVG and Avast. They are free for
    home use. I use Avast and love it.

  11. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    > logo and header format. The subject was something like
    > "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    > username and password.
    >
    > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
    > Center.'

    I've gotten dozens of them... I also get them for paypal.

    I forward all to "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

    One learns to recognize these things....

    _NEVER_ give out passwords and financial information based
    on an e-mail! Always check with what you know is a
    legitimate source first.

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  12. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    > logo and header format. The subject was something like
    > "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    > username and password.
    >
    > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to 'Security
    > Center.'

    Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, and others all being "spoofed" in
    this manner...and the sites linked to look just like the
    real thing. The key is to pay close attention. For example,
    the Ebay ones will take you to a link to fill in
    information that Ebay never asked of you in the first
    place, such as social security numbers, mother's maiden
    name, etc. Also, the cgi-bin part of the address is
    missing. With PayPal, watch for e-mails that are addressed
    as "Dear PayPal user" and such. PayPal will only address
    you by the name on your account. It is very important that
    people learn not to be so free with their personal
    information. Never give out any information that isn't
    absolutely required and always verify who you're giving it
    to before giving it. Heck, I don't even give Best Buy and
    the like my zip code or phone number when they ask.

    kimberly

  13. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:39:14 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]>
    arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    >Just got one this morning. Very professional with the eBay
    >logo and header format. The subject was something like
    >"eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to enter my
    >username and password.
    >
    >The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    >Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    >'Security Center.'

    Same thing happened to me, but they also wanted to know my
    bank, account nos., SSN, as well as my username and password
    in eBay. Like I'd even have given all that informatin to
    eBay? I don't *think* so.

    I forwarded the whole thing to eBay.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their
    level and then beat you with experience."

    To reply, replace "shcox" with "cox"

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, and others all being "spoofed" in
    > this manner...

    I think spoofed is too weak a word.

    > and the sites linked to look just like the real thing.

    I can't believe you actually looked at them.

    > The key is to pay close attention

    You misspelled NO! attention.

    Never ever ever open emails like that, never mind any
    attachments they contain. Just delete them.

    nancy

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just got one this morning. Very professional with the
    > > eBay logo and header format. The subject was something
    > > like "eBay account suspended" with a nice HTML form to
    > > enter my username and password.
    > >
    > > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    > > 'Security Center.'
    >
    > Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, and others all being "spoofed" in
    > this manner...and the sites linked to look just like the
    > real thing. The key is to pay close attention. For
    > example, the Ebay ones will take you to a link to fill in
    > information that Ebay never asked of you in the first
    > place, such as social security numbers, mother's maiden
    > name, etc. Also, the cgi-bin part of the address is
    > missing.

    Not necessarily... The last one that I got not only had "cgi-
    bin" in the URL, it was an https site as well!

    They are learning and getting better at this!

    If in doubt, send any and all of these to [email protected] whatever
    site they are emulating. The company will get in touch with
    you if there is really a problem.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  16. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Katra wrote:

    > > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of thing.
    > > Down at the bottom of the home page is a link to
    > > 'Security Center.'
    >
    > I've gotten dozens of them... I also get them for paypal.

    My coworker, who has been buying things on ebay recently,
    got one recently and was suspicious. I got one the same day
    and have never been on ebay or used paypal.

  17. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    >

    > > > The real eBay has a good tutorial on this sort of
    > > > thing. Down at the bottom of the home page is a link
    > > > to 'Security Center.'
    > >
    > > I've gotten dozens of them... I also get them for
    > > paypal.
    >
    > My coworker, who has been buying things on ebay recently,
    > got one recently and was suspicious. I got one the same
    > day and have never been on ebay or used paypal.

    I think they harvest e-mails off of usenet and mail them to
    everybody via spambot programs. <G> I started getting an
    increased number when I posted on alt.marketing.online.ebay.

    But that was before I munged my posting e-mail address. ;-)

    I don't get as much spam as I used to and this new mailer
    has a "bounce" option.

    Gods I'm glad I finally gave up nyetscape!!!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  18. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:42:28 GMT, Steve Calvin <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Frogleg wrote:
    >> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:45:55 GMT, "Kswck"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> I didn't think I needed to add that I simply forwarded it
    >> to eBay. Your advice was aimed toward others, right? :)
    >> I posted because this was the first example I'd received
    >> and I didn't know if others might just be having a
    >> similar problem.

    >I "assume" that you expanded and included the full header
    >information in your forward. If not then it's useless. Even
    >with the headers, chances are nothing will happen. YMMV

    I did not. I followed eBay's security instructions which
    were simply to forward it as is. They can expand the header
    as well as I can.

  19. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Frogleg wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:42:28 GMT, Steve Calvin
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>

    > I did not. I followed eBay's security instructions which
    > were simply to forward it as is. They can expand the
    > header as well as I can.

    Actually, that's not at all true which just goes to show
    that they could not care less about it.

    --
    Steve

  20. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:03:30 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Same thing happened to me, but they also wanted to know
    > my bank, account nos., SSN, as well as my username and
    > password in eBay. Like I'd even have given all that
    > informatin to eBay? I don't *think* so.
    >
    > I forwarded the whole thing to eBay.

    So what do you expect them to do? Contact the FEDs on them?
    If they had a round file, I'm sure such forwards would be
    there. If you're lucky, at least they log the complaints.