Ebayers beware,SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Dawnrider, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Dawnrider

Dawnrider New Member

This morning I recieved the following email

Subject: eBay Regular Maintenance

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures.
    Your account has been selected for this maintenance.

Protecting the security of your eBay auction account is our primary concern,
    and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    Comments are welcomed!

In order to update your account information, you need to complete the following process!
    If not, your account may behave unnormally and errors may occur without notification.

In order to complete the maintenance process use the following link:
    http://cgi.9ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.php?...mand=ShowNotice

Kind Regards,
    eBay Technical Team

ITS NOT FOR REAL THEY ASK FOR YOUR ID PASSWORD AND OTHER DETAILS!

SO PLEASE TAKE CARE!

Tags:

2. gwhunt23

gwhunt23 New Member

Thanks for the heads up! I will keep a lookout.

3. melvyng

melvyng New Member

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. The email looked very legit, as did the website that it took me to, had the official EBay logo and all. I got suspicious when they asked me for my debit card number and my social security number. At that point I went "uhhhh, I don't think so, this smells fishy to me." I sent them back a nasty email and they tried again about a week later.

Mel

4. Dawnrider

Dawnrider New Member

notice the use of the word unnormal!
    If not, your account may behave unnormally

5. lumpy

lumpy New Member

I got one very similar to this a few months back apparently from my ISP - Earthlink. Seemed pretty strange to me so I called them up and sure enough, it was a scam.

can't trust anyone,

Tim

6. Allen H

Allen H New Member

I'v gotten that one, and one or two others including one that purported to be from my ISP. All looked "official", but the telltale signs were there: CC#, password - all the "keys to the kingdom" were asked for in the form.

Be suspicious if they say "some of files were lost" or "you can't access our site unless we update this info" as the reason to re-gather all this critical info. Better to let your access lapse to EBay, the interenet, etc. than give that info to scammers.

7. Alnamvet

Alnamvet New Member

e bay is just not worth the hassle...more scams than legit business conducted on that site, and ebay never, ever admits any fault or complicity:mad:

8. Dawnrider

Dawnrider New Member

Ive had no problems with Ebay, had quite a few good deals off there.You just gotta use your noggin!

9. Jade

Jade New Member

Yep, that sounds fishy just from the grammar. "We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures." ?
    "unnormally"??? We might speak that way, but official email from such places rarely uses such wording.

10. msrw

msrw New Member

This sort of scam is ever more common. There's a Paypal scam that is identical, and the link you're taken to look exactly like an actual Ebay or Paypal site.

The two key things you need to know:

1. ISP's, Ebay and Paypal will NEVER ask you for confidential data via an email. So if you ever receive an email asking for a password, user name, and especially for any bank or credit card data, it is DEFINITELY a scam.

2. NEVER go to Ebay, Paypal or an ISP via a link in an email you receive. ONLY enter these domains by typing in the domain address. That is the ONLY way you can be certain that you've actually entered the REAL domain, rather than a fraudulent imitation of same.

11. Allen H

Allen H New Member

I've gotten 6 or 8 of these (the first versions weren't butchered with typos like this one - but you get the idea of where these are coming from):
    " This email was sennt by the Citi serevrs to veerify your e-mail
    adderss. You must cmlopete this psreocs by clicking on the link
    below and enntering in the smmall window your Citibank ATM
    Card number and card pin that you use on local Atm Machine.
    This is done for your prtocetion -i- because some of our memebrs no
    lngeor have access to their email adessrdes and we must verify it.

To veerify your e-mail addres and access your CitibankOnline account, clik on
    the link below. If ntohing happnes when you click on the link -I coppy
    and paste the link into the address bar of your window."

12. RinSedona

RinSedona New Member

eBay scaming continues to grow! This one from China!

I bid on a bike being sold by an individual here in the us. I did not win, but recieved the following email complete in Ebay frame with Ebay logos. Same ol' same ol': price too good to be true (1/4 of retail!), free shipping, free insurance, a wonderful personal guarontee of satisfaction - just wire transfer us the money :)....

Here it is:

?? eBay ?????

<username> ??:

Dear customer, I saw you'r bid for the YETI Kokopelli 2003 sz Med and we would like to make you an offer. I could offer you the same unit to buy now without the auction for us $ 400 I will use UPS for shipping and WESTERN UNION service for payment. Shipping will take usually - 24/48 hours Shipping is made using UNITED POSTAL/PARCEL SERVICE(UPS) SERVICE Shipping is absolutely FREE! Yes, that's right. SHIPPING IS FREE! Not only is shipping FREE but you will also receive 100% protection from loss or damage with our "On the House" FULL INSURANCE coverage. Your shipment will be professionally secured with heavy-duty packaging designed to protect the contents of your shipment cross country. Buy from us and your transaction will be 100% HEADACHE FREE! And if any problems do arise, I`ll take care of all the paperwork and ship you replacement parts within a few days. We are looking forward to hear from you. Thank you in advance for your time, Kind Regards.

??!
    big_barosanul

????????,???????? eBay ?????????,?????? ????????,???? eBay ???

??????? MoneyGram ? Western Union ???????? ??????????????????,????????

????????????,?? eBay ???????

??? eBay ?????? ™:http://www.tw.ebay.com/
    :D