EBC revolution Country and Dawes Horizon

Kennedy Fraser

Guest
Greetings

Been thinking about getting an entry level tourer for use on holidays
and as a commuting bike.

Have been looking at the EBC Revolution Country

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=20811

and the Dawes Horizon

http://www.dawes-cycles.co.uk/bikes/horizon.html

I had a test ride on the EBC Country at the weekend and I hope to have a
look at the Horizon shortly, but I would be interested in hearing what
the collective wisdom of the assembled company would be wrt to the pros
and cons of these bikes.

Things that have occurred to me are:

steel v alu frame
I like the additional brake levers on the EBC bar tops
Are the wheels/hubs better on the Dawes?
Somebody has said something about the fork on the Dawes being a strange
size?

Any comments gratefully received.

Kennedy

Kennedy Fraser wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Been thinking about getting an entry level tourer for use on holidays
> and as a commuting bike.
>
> Have been looking at the EBC Revolution Country
>
> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=20811
>
> and the Dawes Horizon
>
> http://www.dawes-cycles.co.uk/bikes/horizon.html

Aren't they the same bikes under different names?

> I had a test ride on the EBC Country at the weekend and I hope to
> have a look at the Horizon shortly, but I would be interested in
> hearing what the collective wisdom of the assembled company would be
> wrt to the pros and cons of these bikes.

> Things that have occurred to me are:
>
> steel v alu frame

Both are 520 steel according to the specs.

> I like the additional brake levers on the EBC bar tops
>
> Are the wheels/hubs better on the Dawes?

Dawes generally use not-very-well machine-built wheels. But I suspect
both bikes have the same wheels.

~PB

Kennedy Fraser wrote:

> Thanks for the comments though.

There's a few more in the new "Cycle", where the EBC Country is
reviewed. And it comes out well: not perfect but a good value "do most
things well" buy. Can't remember the specific points, but have a look
in Cycle and read them yourself...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Kennedy Fraser wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the comments though.

> There's a few more in the new "Cycle", where the EBC Country is
> reviewed. And it comes out well: not perfect but a good value "do most
> things well" buy. Can't remember the specific points, but have a look
> in Cycle and read them yourself...
>
> Pete.

Excellent - I'll head down to Byres Road at lunchtime.

Kennedy