Echo W2 cordless computer

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DRS, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. DRS

    DRS Guest

    MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89)
    http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does
    anyone have any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a
    fortune, $59 would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but I
    do want average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.

    BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them apart
    from being seriously ugly?

    --

    "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
    involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."

    Tags:

  2. twon2is7

    twon2is7 Guest

    Drs wrote:
    > MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89) http://ww-
    > w.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.htmlhttp://www.bi-
    > kes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does anyone have
    > any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a fortune, $59
    > would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but I do want
    > average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.
    > BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them
    > apart from being seriously ugly?
    > --
    > "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is
    > that it involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of
    > virtue'." Bob Hawke

    Drs,

    I am using the echo F2 and find it to be a great computer, it has a
    variety of modes of different items to display.

    It always displays current speed, current rpm || max rpm || average rpm,
    and time || average speed || distance || time taken || odo || max speed.

    I do not find all the modes are that useful, I usually use average speed
    & rpm mode and occasionally average rpm with current time.

    The only drawback is that it does not display average rpm and average
    speed with current speed.

    Being the only computer I have ever owned, I cannot compare it to
    anything else.

    Its one button operation is also good, as it starts logging data as soon
    as you are moving and stops when you stop. +always on when moving (do
    not need to stop and start it at the lights) -always on when moving
    (cannot stop it from logging when just pottering over some slow parts)

    HTH Sash

    --

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them

    apart
    > from being seriously ugly?

    My OLD Vetta C-60(?). Maybe 10 years old, but the
    cadence sensor never worked, mounting brackets used
    plastic screws which wear out if swapping bikes. If screen
    left in sun for 5 minutes it would go black and unit would
    need to be reset, losing all its data. Sensor is now worn out
    and doesn't work above 40kph any more - although it IS
    seriously old now. So, I don't like them at all compared to
    my Polar and Cateye units, but it depends on how cheap
    "half price" is and which units. Have you got more info?
    I would like a cheap cadence computer for track stuff...

    cheers!
    hippy

  4. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    Cipher wrote:
    > Have you thought of trying E-bay? I picked one up for almost 1/2 of
    > retail at our LBS.

    That should read as compared to our LBS. (Sorry

    -

  5. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    Drs wrote:
    > MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89) http://ww-
    > w.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.htmlhttp://www.bi-
    > kes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does anyone have
    > any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a fortune, $59
    > would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but I do want
    > average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.
    > BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them
    > apart from being seriously ugly?
    > --
    > "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is
    > that it involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of
    > virtue'." Bob Hawke

    Have you thought of trying E-bay? I picked one up for almost 1/2 o
    retail at our LBS

    -

  6. DRS

    DRS Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    gZ9%[email protected]
    > "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with
    >> them apart from being seriously ugly?

    > My OLD Vetta C-60(?). Maybe 10 years old, but the
    > cadence sensor never worked, mounting brackets used
    > plastic screws which wear out if swapping bikes. If screen
    > left in sun for 5 minutes it would go black and unit would
    > need to be reset, losing all its data. Sensor is now worn out
    > and doesn't work above 40kph any more - although it IS
    > seriously old now. So, I don't like them at all compared to
    > my Polar and Cateye units, but it depends on how cheap
    > "half price" is and which units. Have you got more info?
    > I would like a cheap cadence computer for track stuff...

    Half price means half price. They're on the same link I gave, so you can
    see for yourself.

    In any event I bought the Echo W2 Cordless. At $59 it was way too good a
    bargain to pass up. But I must warn people that I got the last one at that
    price. The sticker price was $69 (RRP $89). They gave it to me for $59
    when I pointed out that was their web price and the reason I had come in but
    they also updated their site immediately. That price made more sense in
    light of the prices at which other stores were listing them. I also picked
    up an 18 function Tioga toolkit for $35 (RRP $59) so I walked out very happy
    with my morning.

    In any event it's way cool not having wires. The instuction leaflet was a
    bit of a nightmare, the usual story, you unfold it like a map and the
    instructions are in 2 point in 36 different languages and the illustrations
    were done by a first year art student but it's not that hard to figure out,
    you just have to pay attention to the bit about aligning the transmitter and
    the magnet properly, and I only had three rubber strips left over. I took
    it for a test run around Albert Park Lake. Workmen were actually doing
    stuff so Lakeside Drive was closed for a reason for a change, which meant I
    had to negotiate my way around the obstacle course of grandstands and stuff
    on the eastern side and that lowered my average speed considerably (22.9kph
    ave.), but I made up speed on the western leg around the race track bit
    (31.7kph top) and it was 5.19km around. These numbers look realistic and
    the speeds are reasonable for a hybrid in those conditions so I reckon I've
    got it calibrated properly.

    The Echo has auto on and off and detects when the unit is mounted or
    dismounted. When I picked it up to check the stats at the time of writing
    it had powered down and only the clock setting was showing, but I had it set
    to the 24h clock and the time was 22:22:02 so I nearly crapped myself
    thinking the display had frazzled. :)

    Just in case anybody's interested, MBC have the newer Cateye Enduro 8 in
    stock for $59, even though it's not on the web site.

    --

    "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
    involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."
    Bob Hawke

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89)
    > http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does
    > anyone have any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a
    > fortune, $59 would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but

    > do want average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.

    What's with their Cateye Enduro2 price!?
    I paid $49 for mine about 4 years ago!!
    "Normally $79" my posterior.. or has the
    dollar just halved in value again?

    hippy

  8. DRS

    DRS Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]
    > "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89)
    >> http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html.
    >> Does anyone have any experience with this computer? I don't want to
    >> spend a fortune, $59 would be about as high as I'd go, I only need
    >> the basics but I do want average speed so that knocks out the very
    >> cheapest.

    > What's with their Cateye Enduro2 price!?
    > I paid $49 for mine about 4 years ago!!

    I noticed that too. Street price for the Enduro 2 is around $55 to $60. I
    like MBC Prahran but I really think they don't put enough effort into their
    web site.

    > "Normally $79" my posterior.. or has the
    > dollar just halved in value again?

    Don't forget, at one point the AUD fell to 0.47USD, and has risen very
    quickly recently.

    --

    "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
    involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."
    Bob Hawke

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Don't forget, at one point the AUD fell to 0.47USD, and has risen very
    > quickly recently.

    Our dollar is now stronger than Canada's! Now is
    the time to order all those crazy, northshore, freeride
    dvd's I've wanted...

    hippy

  10. David

    David Guest

    Cecil Walker are advertising a Sigma BC1600 (wired) on their website
    for $54 including cadence. I bought one a few months ago and it's
    working fine even after accidently rinsing it under a tap.

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<gZ9%[email protected]>...
    > "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them

    > apart
    > > from being seriously ugly?

    > My OLD Vetta C-60(?). Maybe 10 years old, but the
    > cadence sensor never worked, mounting brackets used
    > plastic screws which wear out if swapping bikes. If screen
    > left in sun for 5 minutes it would go black and unit would
    > need to be reset, losing all its data. Sensor is now worn out
    > and doesn't work above 40kph any more - although it IS
    > seriously old now. So, I don't like them at all compared to
    > my Polar and Cateye units, but it depends on how cheap
    > "half price" is and which units. Have you got more info?
    > I would like a cheap cadence computer for track stuff...
    >
    > cheers!
    > hippy

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cecil Walker are advertising a Sigma BC1600 (wired) on their website
    > for $54 including cadence. I bought one a few months ago and it's
    > working fine even after accidently rinsing it under a tap.

    Cheers. I'm actually thinking about getting the cadence
    sensor for my Polar HRM. Has anyone seen these for
    <$90?

    I also want to use the Polar on my track bike, but this
    will require a further:
    Mount: ~$20
    Speed Sensor: ~$90
    Cadence Sensor: ~$100

    There's got to be a cheaper way to get nice Polar graphs!

    hippy

  12. stu

    stu Guest