Echo W2 cordless computer

DRS

Guest
MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89)
http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does
anyone have any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a
fortune, $59 would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but I
do want average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.

BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them apart
from being seriously ugly?

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."

Drs wrote:
> MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89) http://ww-
> w.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.htmlhttp://www.bi-
> kes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does anyone have
> any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a fortune, $59
> would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but I do want
> average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.
> BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them
> apart from being seriously ugly?
> --
> "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is
> that it involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of
> virtue'." Bob Hawke

Drs,

I am using the echo F2 and find it to be a great computer, it has a
variety of modes of different items to display.

It always displays current speed, current rpm || max rpm || average rpm,
and time || average speed || distance || time taken || odo || max speed.

I do not find all the modes are that useful, I usually use average speed
& rpm mode and occasionally average rpm with current time.

The only drawback is that it does not display average rpm and average
speed with current speed.

Being the only computer I have ever owned, I cannot compare it to
anything else.

Its one button operation is also good, as it starts logging data as soon
as you are moving and stops when you stop. +always on when moving (do
not need to stop and start it at the lights) -always on when moving
(cannot stop it from logging when just pottering over some slow parts)

HTH Sash

--

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them

apart
> from being seriously ugly?

My OLD Vetta C-60(?). Maybe 10 years old, but the
cadence sensor never worked, mounting brackets used
plastic screws which wear out if swapping bikes. If screen
left in sun for 5 minutes it would go black and unit would
need to be reset, losing all its data. Sensor is now worn out
and doesn't work above 40kph any more - although it IS
seriously old now. So, I don't like them at all compared to
my Polar and Cateye units, but it depends on how cheap
"half price" is and which units. Have you got more info?
I would like a cheap cadence computer for track stuff...

cheers!
hippy

Cipher wrote:
> Have you thought of trying E-bay? I picked one up for almost 1/2 of
> retail at our LBS.

That should read as compared to our LBS. (Sorry

-

Drs wrote:
> MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89) http://ww-
> w.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.htmlhttp://www.bi-
> kes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does anyone have
> any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a fortune, $59
> would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but I do want
> average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.
> BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them
> apart from being seriously ugly?
> --
> "The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is
> that it involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of
> virtue'." Bob Hawke

Have you thought of trying E-bay? I picked one up for almost 1/2 o
retail at our LBS

-

hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message
gZ9%[email protected]
> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with
>> them apart from being seriously ugly?

> My OLD Vetta C-60(?). Maybe 10 years old, but the
> cadence sensor never worked, mounting brackets used
> plastic screws which wear out if swapping bikes. If screen
> left in sun for 5 minutes it would go black and unit would
> need to be reset, losing all its data. Sensor is now worn out
> and doesn't work above 40kph any more - although it IS
> seriously old now. So, I don't like them at all compared to
> my Polar and Cateye units, but it depends on how cheap
> "half price" is and which units. Have you got more info?
> I would like a cheap cadence computer for track stuff...

Half price means half price. They're on the same link I gave, so you can
see for yourself.

In any event I bought the Echo W2 Cordless. At $59 it was way too good a
bargain to pass up. But I must warn people that I got the last one at that
price. The sticker price was $69 (RRP $89). They gave it to me for $59
when I pointed out that was their web price and the reason I had come in but
they also updated their site immediately. That price made more sense in
light of the prices at which other stores were listing them. I also picked
up an 18 function Tioga toolkit for $35 (RRP $59) so I walked out very happy
with my morning.

In any event it's way cool not having wires. The instuction leaflet was a
bit of a nightmare, the usual story, you unfold it like a map and the
instructions are in 2 point in 36 different languages and the illustrations
were done by a first year art student but it's not that hard to figure out,
you just have to pay attention to the bit about aligning the transmitter and
the magnet properly, and I only had three rubber strips left over. I took
it for a test run around Albert Park Lake. Workmen were actually doing
stuff so Lakeside Drive was closed for a reason for a change, which meant I
had to negotiate my way around the obstacle course of grandstands and stuff
on the eastern side and that lowered my average speed considerably (22.9kph
ave.), but I made up speed on the western leg around the race track bit
(31.7kph top) and it was 5.19km around. These numbers look realistic and
the speeds are reasonable for a hybrid in those conditions so I reckon I've
got it calibrated properly.

The Echo has auto on and off and detects when the unit is mounted or
dismounted. When I picked it up to check the stats at the time of writing
it had powered down and only the clock setting was showing, but I had it set
to the 24h clock and the time was 22:22:02 so I nearly crapped myself
thinking the display had frazzled. :)

Just in case anybody's interested, MBC have the newer Cateye Enduro 8 in
stock for $59, even though it's not on the web site.

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."
Bob Hawke

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89)
> http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html. Does
> anyone have any experience with this computer? I don't want to spend a
> fortune, $59 would be about as high as I'd go, I only need the basics but

> do want average speed so that knocks out the very cheapest.

What's with their Cateye Enduro2 price!?
I paid $49 for mine about 4 years ago!!
"Normally $79" my posterior.. or has the
dollar just halved in value again?

hippy

hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> MBC has the Echo W2 cordless computer going for $59 (RRP $89)
>> http://www.bikes.com.au/enter.html?target=AccessoriesComputers.html.
>> Does anyone have any experience with this computer? I don't want to
>> spend a fortune, $59 would be about as high as I'd go, I only need
>> the basics but I do want average speed so that knocks out the very
>> cheapest.

> What's with their Cateye Enduro2 price!?
> I paid $49 for mine about 4 years ago!!

I noticed that too. Street price for the Enduro 2 is around $55 to $60. I
like MBC Prahran but I really think they don't put enough effort into their
web site.

> "Normally $79" my posterior.. or has the
> dollar just halved in value again?

Don't forget, at one point the AUD fell to 0.47USD, and has risen very
quickly recently.

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."
Bob Hawke

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't forget, at one point the AUD fell to 0.47USD, and has risen very
> quickly recently.

Our dollar is now stronger than Canada's! Now is
the time to order all those crazy, northshore, freeride
dvd's I've wanted...

hippy

Cecil Walker are advertising a Sigma BC1600 (wired) on their website
for $54 including cadence. I bought one a few months ago and it's
working fine even after accidently rinsing it under a tap.

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<gZ9%[email protected]>...
> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > BTW, MBC have Vetta computers going half price. What wrong with them

> apart
> > from being seriously ugly?

> My OLD Vetta C-60(?). Maybe 10 years old, but the
> cadence sensor never worked, mounting brackets used
> plastic screws which wear out if swapping bikes. If screen
> left in sun for 5 minutes it would go black and unit would
> need to be reset, losing all its data. Sensor is now worn out
> and doesn't work above 40kph any more - although it IS
> seriously old now. So, I don't like them at all compared to
> my Polar and Cateye units, but it depends on how cheap
> "half price" is and which units. Have you got more info?
> I would like a cheap cadence computer for track stuff...
>
> cheers!
> hippy

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cecil Walker are advertising a Sigma BC1600 (wired) on their website
> for $54 including cadence. I bought one a few months ago and it's
> working fine even after accidently rinsing it under a tap.

Cheers. I'm actually thinking about getting the cadence
sensor for my Polar HRM. Has anyone seen these for
<$90?

I also want to use the Polar on my track bike, but this
will require a further:
Mount: ~$20
Speed Sensor: ~$90
Cadence Sensor: ~$100

There's got to be a cheaper way to get nice Polar graphs!

hippy