Eddie Merckx - MX Leader, how much is it worth?

mike anderson

Guest
I have the chance to buy a used: 1996, steel frameset, Eddie Merckx -
MX Leader but I am new, and careful not to be taken for a ride, so I
wonder if anybody could help me with an assessment of what it might be
worth now days? I have a picture of it here:
<http://www.monoform.com/temporar/eddiemerckx.html>.

I do not have any more information about it at this stage, I do not
know it the fork a in any materia elsel than steel nor if the frame is
welded or soldered - surely it should be soldered?!

Just to be 100% sure, it is a racer, isn't it? I think the frame look
a bit "thick".

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks,
mike

Mike,

The MX Leader is a durable and lively frame to ride. More or less it is
designed as a racing frame that is also fun to ride, especially if you
are not a fly weight. It is made from Columbus NivaCrom Max tubing
(Niobium, Vanadium & Chromium are the hardening agents in the steel),
which is drawn in oversized tube sets, hense the "Max". Though the
tubing is larger in diameter, the steel is drawn thinner than normal
steel tubing, (at least in the middle of the tubing, away from
brazing/welding zones) so the overall weight increase isn't so bad. The
one penalty with this frame is that the lugset is heavy to compensate
for the larger diameter tubing. I have a Bottechia of the same tube
set, brilliantly tig welded, which makes it about a half pound lighter
overall. The fork is also NivaCrom tubing to answer your other question.

I don't know what this frame might be worth today but it was quite
expensive in its day. If it is in good shape, as it appears to be, it
is likely worth several hundred still. This is not the most handsome
frame set unbuilt but it becomes an elegant looking bicycle once
components are installed.

Good luck with your shopping.

Terry

mike anderson wrote:
> I have the chance to buy a used: 1996, steel frameset, Eddie Merckx -
> MX Leader but I am new, and careful not to be taken for a ride, so I
> wonder if anybody could help me with an assessment of what it might be
> worth now days? I have a picture of it here:
> <http://www.monoform.com/temporar/eddiemerckx.html>.
>
> I do not have any more information about it at this stage, I do not
> know it the fork a in any materia elsel than steel nor if the frame is
> welded or soldered - surely it should be soldered?!
>
> Just to be 100% sure, it is a racer, isn't it? I think the frame look
> a bit "thick".
>
> Any help would be most appreciated, thanks,
> mike

Terry,

I cannot thank you enough for your reply and for being so thorough it
sounds like a amazing frameset, very kind of you!

They guy asks $325 it and it sounds like it would be a decent price.

You say that it is oversized, but is the steerer still 1" 1/8?

Thank you sir once more for your help!
mike

Quoth Terry Rudd ...

"mike anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

>You say that it is oversized, but is the steerer still 1" 1/8?

No, the streerer is 1" with a threaded steel fork.

Tom

Thank you, much appreciated!

mike

Quoth Tom Thomas ...