eddiec's fixie/ss frame clearout!

eddiec

New Member
Feb 16, 2004
Well, it appears it's hard rubbish time in Doncaster and I managed to score another fixie candidate - this time in a much better size (anybody know anything about Master Sports bikes? Nice lugs, nice pinstriping, track ends :) )

Which means that I've now got a couple of less-appropriately sized fixie/ss candidate frames in the shed and no longer required... Come one, come all...

Exhibit 1:

Graecross Capri road frame with horizontal dropouts. Nice powder blue. In the 55cm size-range... Forkless. http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6

Exhibit 2:

This is the nice one. Not sure of the brand but it's a beautiful lightweight frame (FD can testify to that after his heft-test) with some very nice lug-work and track ends... Also forkless. I'm reluctant to let this one go and have the dreams die, but have had to accept that it just aint my size (About 56cm-ish I think). http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7

I've also got a bundle of old brake levers, brakes etc which can be thrown in...

Now I'm willing to let these go simply so that they can go to a better use and make some space in my shed, so I'm not fussed about 'what I can get for them'. However, the (puncture) gods would smile upon any trade-offers which included such words as "700c wheels with a 36 spoke rim in there somewhere (to fit FD's flip-flop hub)", "<70mm cranks", saddles, quill stems or bullhorns. Or failing that, beer of course... Otherwise, the good kharma will be sufficient!

Eddie(scrounger)c

eddiec said:
Well, it appears it's hard rubbish time in Doncaster and I managed to score another fixie candidate - this time in a much better size (anybody know anything about Master Sports bikes? Nice lugs, nice pinstriping, track ends :) )

Ooooo, may have to wake *someone up*, jump in the smogbox and get to the Doncaster area! Nah, I'll be nice & let him sleep off the Kona 24. :p Sounds like you're found some great swag. Must compare notes. :)

cfs 'Madame Cholet' mtb

cfsmtb said:
Ooooo, may have to wake *someone up*, jump in the smogbox and get to the Doncaster area! Nah, I'll be nice & let him sleep off the Kona 24. :p Sounds like you're found some great swag. Must compare notes. :)

cfs 'Madame Cholet' mtb

actually, save yourself the fuel! I just checked the Council website and they run hard rubbish differently out there - Personal pick-ups it seems, not the much-favoured mass collection. Must've just been a lucky find then...

eddiec wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>
>>Ooooo, may have to wake *someone up*, jump in the smogbox and get to the
>>Doncaster area! Nah, I'll be nice & let him sleep off the Kona 24. :p
>>Sounds like you're found some great swag. Must compare notes. :)
>>
>>cfs 'Madame Cholet' mtb

> actually, save yourself the fuel! I just checked the Council website
> and they run hard rubbish differently out there - Personal pick-ups it
> seems, not the much-favoured mass collection. Must've just been a lucky
> find then...

Yeah I live "out there" and was wondering what the hell you were talking
about. You get two pickups a year and ring the council when you want it.
Finding bikes is pure luck.

DaveB

On 05/12/05 at 19:52:51 eddiec somehow managed to type:
<snip>

> seems, not the much-favoured mass collection. Must've just been a
> lucky find then...

I've only ever found one "usable" bike on a hard rubbish day. It was
an old Hallmark with not a mark on it - even the (loads of) pinstriping
was great. Pity that the frame was bent and it handled like a pig and
that straightening the frame caused major trauma to the paint job.
Dammit!!

Marty will understand this - old valve TV's are TREASURE. Last year,
apart from one valve which I had to actually buy and a transformer from
a microwave oven which was also hard rubbish, I managed to build a 350W
linear out of discarded TV's.

As they say, or at least imply, - someones **** is someone elses
treasure...:)

--
Humbug
BE A LOOF! (There has been a recent population explosion of lerts.)

Humbug wrote:
> On 05/12/05 at 19:52:51 eddiec somehow managed to type:
> <snip>
>
>>seems, not the much-favoured mass collection. Must've just been a
>>lucky find then...

> I've only ever found one "usable" bike on a hard rubbish day. It was
> an old Hallmark with not a mark on it - even the (loads of) pinstriping
> was great. Pity that the frame was bent and it handled like a pig and
> that straightening the frame caused major trauma to the paint job.
> Dammit!!

well, i've built three reasonable bikes from hard rubbish =)
/me seems to have a burb who lived in the era of 27" 10 speeds.
dozens and dozens of bikes were out for collection this year!

so i had plenty to choose from. lotsa wheels to practice a rebuild on
etc etc, several hubs that are just waiting for a 1/8" gear to be
screwed onto them =D

cheers,

kim

"eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, it appears it's hard rubbish time in Doncaster and I managed to
> score another fixie candidate - this time in a much better size
> (anybody know anything about Master Sports bikes? Nice lugs, nice
> pinstriping, track ends :) )
>
> Which means that I've now got a couple of less-appropriately sized
> fixie/ss candidate frames in the shed and no longer required... Come
> one, come all...
>
> Exhibit 1:
>
> Graecross Capri road frame with horizontal dropouts. Nice powder blue.
> In the 55cm size-range... Forkless.
> http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6
>
> Exhibit 2:
>
> This is the nice one. Not sure of the brand but it's a beautiful
> lightweight frame (FD can testify to that after his heft-test) with
> some very nice lug-work and track ends... Also forkless. I'm reluctant
> to let this one go and have the dreams die, but have had to accept that
> it just aint my size (About 56cm-ish I think).
> http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
>
> I've also got a bundle of old brake levers, brakes etc which can be
> thrown in...
>
> Now I'm willing to let these go simply so that they can go to a better
> use and make some space in my shed, so I'm not fussed about 'what I
> can get for them'. However, the (puncture) gods would smile upon any
> trade-offers which included such words as "700c wheels with a 36 spoke
> rim in there somewhere (to fit FD's flip-flop hub)", "<70mm cranks",
> saddles, quill stems or bullhorns. Or failing that, beer of course...
> Otherwise, the good kharma will be sufficient!
>

> Eddie(scrounger)c
>

> --
> eddiec

Can you supply top tube lenghts for those frames? Are they still available?
I do have saddles & quill stems to trade...........

Retrograded said:
"eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, it appears it's hard rubbish time in Doncaster and I managed to
> score another fixie candidate - this time in a much better size
> (anybody know anything about Master Sports bikes? Nice lugs, nice
> pinstriping, track ends :) )
>
> Which means that I've now got a couple of less-appropriately sized
> fixie/ss candidate frames in the shed and no longer required... Come
> one, come all...
>
> Exhibit 1:
>
> Graecross Capri road frame with horizontal dropouts. Nice powder blue.
> In the 55cm size-range... Forkless.
> http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6
>
> Exhibit 2:
>
> This is the nice one. Not sure of the brand but it's a beautiful
> lightweight frame (FD can testify to that after his heft-test) with
> some very nice lug-work and track ends... Also forkless. I'm reluctant
> to let this one go and have the dreams die, but have had to accept that
> it just aint my size (About 56cm-ish I think).
> http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
>
> I've also got a bundle of old brake levers, brakes etc which can be
> thrown in...
>
> Now I'm willing to let these go simply so that they can go to a better
> use and make some space in my shed, so I'm not fussed about 'what I
> can get for them'. However, the (puncture) gods would smile upon any
> trade-offers which included such words as "700c wheels with a 36 spoke
> rim in there somewhere (to fit FD's flip-flop hub)", "<70mm cranks",
> saddles, quill stems or bullhorns. Or failing that, beer of course...
> Otherwise, the good kharma will be sufficient!
>

> Eddie(scrounger)c
>

> --
> eddiec

Can you supply top tube lenghts for those frames? Are they still available?
I do have saddles & quill stems to trade...........

Yep, they're both still here.

Exhibit a (the blue one) has a 55cm top tube, b (the red one) has a 56cm... or thereabouts.. (measuring centre to centre - not sure if that's the correct way of doing it)

Trading one for a saddle and a stem (1 inch?) would be dandy... What types/sizes if I may ask (and if you're interested with those sizes).

Eddiec