Eddy Planckaert bankrupt

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Found this on http://www.cyclingnews.com does anyone know what type of business he was in? and what business he was in two years ago?

Ex-professional cyclist Eddy Planckaert, 42, has been declared bankrupt by a court in Gent, Belgium. Het Nieuwsblad reported that the winner of the Tour de France green jersey, Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix had entered into business with a partner in Poland, who subsequently defrauded him.

It's not the first time that Planckaert has had a failed business concern. Two years ago, his previous business was declared bankrupt in Lithuania.

I am curious about that as well. It seems that there certainly has to be a life after cycling for most pros. The rare exception walks away with enough money to never work again, but unlike the high profile American sports, they don't receive instant millions when they sign their first contracts.

Actually, that has become a sticky issue in some sports leagues, like the NBA. Veterans who have contributed for years make less than rookies are awarded before they ever step on the floor for a game. Pay based on perceived potential, I suppose.

1 Wood
2 Wood

First in Lituania after losing control of this firm(word goes round to crimnal organisations)
Later again same business in Poland beiing robbed(not literally) by his business parter.
Made the obvious mistake, his name and the money he used to had open doors. But you have to get reliable people who know local markets in such difficult countries and there he failed twice.

I think he was also making and selling polish wodka (before he went bankrupt for the first time).

Life after cycling?

Easy for the majority (98%) of us it means back to real life and jobs. Usually harder as many retire in their 30s with no real education or trade so it becomes an uphill battle.

Many end up in the bike industry only to be broke a few years later. The bike industry is a very tough market where only the cheats and thiefs end up profitable.

We already see many active riders trying ventures like Freddy, George Hincapie, Lance and others. But sadly we already know many of this ventures will go bust. Why? No loyalty and . . .

So no surprise to see a rider hurting financially. I am surprised however to know it was made public. Usually not big news anywhere.

Originally posted by xavier

So no surprise to see a rider hurting financially. I am surprised however to know it was made public. Usually not big news anywhere. [/B]

Well Eddy is still famous. The Planckaerts are often in the news(JO is a Cofidis pro) and Eddy is in some shows. His business ventures where already in he news earlier(when they stil did fine). If a celebrity leaves a 1.2 million Euro bankrupcy this is news. I think it's because you are from US, cycling is much bigger over here and so things that happen to former top-cyclists make the news faster compare it to your movie stars.

Very true.

The impact such news have here in the USA are none.

To begin I do not know of many that have heard of Eddy Planckaert here in the USA :( Let alone his affiliation to the curent cycling world.

I live in Belgium and have an intense link to the cycling scene. I noticed talking to others in other parts of the world things I consider as normal and happen regularly are seen as very special elswhere, helps to put things in perspective.

Originally posted by maarten
1 Wood
2 Wood

First in Lituania after losing control of this firm(word goes round to crimnal organisations)
Later again same business in Poland beiing robbed(not literally) by his business parter.
Made the obvious mistake, his name and the money he used to had open doors. But you have to get reliable people who know local markets in such difficult countries and there he failed twice.

Would you have a URL where information on Eddy Planckaert's TV show (De Planckaerts?) can be found ? I am fasinated to see this after hearing so much about the man. Don't speak Flemish, only French/English.