Edinburgh - Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang

Wallace Shackle

Guest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm

Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang Police have appealed for witnesses A cyclist suffered serious
injuries when he was attacked by a group of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.

The 33-year-old man was set upon by the gang as he rode home from the shops through Victoria Park in
the Trinity area of Edinburgh.

The man suffered serious head injuries, a six-inch cut to his cheek, for which he will require
plastic surgery, and extensive bruising.

A police spokeswoman described the attack on Sunday as "horrific".

When the victim cycled past the teenagers at about 2200 GMT, he was approached by a boy on a
motorised scooter and at the same time hit from behind with an unknown object.

The victim was set upon by a large group of teenagers who seemed intent on assaulting him
Police spokeswoman He was then knocked off his bike by the gang and punched and kicked around
the head and body.

It is believed three boys were wielding wooden bats or sticks.

The man, who had been travelling through the park from Ferry Road to Craighall Street, managed to
escape and made his way home from where he called an ambulance.

He suffered head injuries and is being treated in St John's Hospital, Livingston.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokeswoman appealed for witnesses to come forward.

She said: "This was an horrific attack on a man returning home from running an errand.

Two cyclists

"The victim was set upon by a large group of teenagers who seemed intent on assaulting him.

"There was no attempt made to rob him and his bike, which he was forced to abandon, was recovered by
police a short time later."

The gang, which included around eight girls, are believed to be aged between 14 and 16.

Detectives are also keen to trace two cyclists who may have witnessed the attack.

A dark-haired man, aged 30-35, was riding a mountain bike alongside a teenage boy, who was wearing
a red top.

They were riding south in the opposite direction to the victim from Craighall Road to Ferry Road.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0131 343 3171.
--
Wallace Shackleton,

Kinross, Scotland.

Cycling in Kinross-shire www.cyclekinross.org.uk

Perth & Kinross Cycle Campaign www.bycycle.org.uk

Wallace Shackleton <[email protected]> wrote in news:tRqYb.4720
[email protected]:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm
>
> Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang

***********! That sounds terrible! Gave me a big fright as Vic Park is just up the road from where
I used to live (Newhaven Road) and that's where I used to start/finish my cycle rides, plus the guy
is the same age as me. I hope it isn't anyone I know (not that that makes it any better or worse
for the guy).

Graeme

Wallace Shackleton <[email protected]> writes:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm

>Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang Police have appealed for witnesses A cyclist suffered serious
>injuries when he was attacked by a group of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.

>The 33-year-old man was set upon by the gang as he rode home from the shops through Victoria Park
>in the Trinity area of Edinburgh.

>The man suffered serious head injuries, a six-inch cut to his cheek, for which he will require
>plastic surgery, and extensive bruising.

>A police spokeswoman described the attack on Sunday as "horrific".

>When the victim cycled past the teenagers at about 2200 GMT, he was approached by a boy on a
>motorised scooter and at the same time hit from behind with an unknown object.

>The victim was set upon by a large group of teenagers who seemed intent on assaulting him Police
>spokeswoman He was then knocked off his bike by the gang and punched and kicked around the head
>and body.

>It is believed three boys were wielding wooden bats or sticks.

>The man, who had been travelling through the park from Ferry Road to Craighall Street, managed to
>escape and made his way home from where he called an ambulance.

>He suffered head injuries and is being treated in St John's Hospital, Livingston.

I live near and sometimes cycle through this park. IMHO there is a local problem in this and other
nearby parks and cycle paths of drinking by gangs of underage schoolchildren. The only times in
decades of cycling in Edinburgh I've ever called the police to report attempted assaults on me on a
bicycle have been there. I've twice had sticks, stones, and empty bottles thrown at me in this park
by drunk teenage gangs. There was a spate a few years ago of ambushes for cyclists set up by gangs
of these drunk teenagers on cycle paths by dragging tree branches etc across the paths, but that
seems to have stopped after some intensive police surveillance of the area.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

"Wallace Shackleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm
>
> Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang Police have appealed for witnesses A cyclist suffered serious
> injuries when he was attacked by a group of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.

That is really, really nasty. Must admit that it's something I worry about in some of the less
prosperous areas I cycle through. Maybe not as many, but even two or three could do some serious
damage. Which reminds me of the time five 13 year old girls attacked me when I was walking on the
pavement with a bike. I was 20yo and pretty fit. A whole bar full of people across the road laughed
as I kept hold of my bike and tried to hold them at bay.Obviously they knew I couldn't attack them
back. They got bored when I kept on telling them that they hit and kick like little girls, and it
didn't hurt at all. Which was true.

In message <[email protected]>, Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> writes
>Wallace Shackleton wrote:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang Police
>> have appealed for witnesses A cyclist suffered serious injuries when he was attacked by a group
>> of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.
><snip>
>
>$%&#ing hell!

For reference, and not to heighten hysteria, I've also been attacked by a gang of local neds myself,
and on a main road at that. Almost a year ago now, and just after cycling all the way from West
Edinburgh to North Berwick and back, it all took longer than I'd hoped and I'd set out late so I
found myself returning home just before 9pm.

Rounded the corner up the big hill on Lanark Road just before Gillespie cross-roads I spied a gang
on the other side of the road at the bus stop, the leader crosses the road and stands in the middle
shouting stop, which of course I don't do. I accelerate and try to miss him, which I manage but he
just gets a hold of my bag, thankfully the increase in speed means I'm dragging him along though at
a very low speed, and his buddies come along too.

Somehow though, I get free after only a few seconds, and none of them had any weapons, but I'll tell
you this, I rang the police the second I got home and they arrived at my doorstep within 10 minutes
to take a full statement and report.

Which was very comforting, and I've never had any trouble since. These are isolated incidents that
do get out of control, but by and large you're safer on all but the busiest of roads rather than in
a park or on a cycle lane. Even with the above taken into consideration.
--
alex @ nuttyxander.com --+-- http://nuttyxander.com/ *** we taught ourselves to play the pots and
pans so that we would have something honest to dance to ***

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ..........Which reminds me of the time five 13 year old girls attacked me when I was walking on
> the pavement with
> bike. I was 20yo and pretty fit.....

Hey! That's them girls from Cheltenham Ladies College! ;-)

> This is unbelievable; what sort of a bloody country are we living in?

You are living in a bloody country like I'm living in (Ireland), a country where people are no
longer afraid of the police. This kind of thing started in Dublin in the 1950s and a special squad
of police under "Lugs" Brannigan, a policeman and former boxing champion took charge. They just beat
up any troublemakers and Dublin was restored to graveyard-like calm.

Nowadays of course the poor pets have their civil rights.

The law is an ass.

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:CftYb.1208$YU4.12306578@news-
> text.cableinet.net...
>
> > ..........Which reminds me of the time five 13 year old girls attacked me when I was walking on
> > the pavement
with
> > bike. I was 20yo and pretty fit.....
>
> Hey! That's them girls from Cheltenham Ladies College! ;-)

Well, it was in Cheltenham .. funny that you mention that :) However, they didn't see laa-dee-
daa enough.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > This is unbelievable; what sort of a bloody country are we living in?
> >
> You are living in a bloody country like I'm living in (Ireland), a country where people are no
> longer afraid of the police. This kind of thing started in Dublin in the 1950s and a special squad
> of police under "Lugs" Brannigan, a policeman and former boxing champion took charge. They just
> beat up any troublemakers and Dublin was restored to graveyard-like calm.
>
> Nowadays of course the poor pets have their civil rights.
>
> The law is an ass.

I have to agree, although when I was in Dublin I was impressed by the police there; they seemed much
less hamstrung by pandering to people's 'civil rights' than the UK police.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:02:03 -0000, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>They just beat up any troublemakers and Dublin was restored to graveyard-like calm.

Dolphin's Barn ?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2ivYb.1329$Q%[email protected]...

> Well, it was in Cheltenham .. funny that you mention that :) However, they didn't see laa-dee-
> daa enough.

It just rang a bell with me and sure enough google archives came to my rescue..........mind you it
was only *three* girls in the original post back in 2002!

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

> I have to agree, although when I was in Dublin I was impressed by the police there; they seemed
> much less hamstrung by pandering to people's 'civil rights' than the UK police.

Absolutely. Better that the police give nine innocent people a f**king good kicking than one guilty
person get away scot free.

--
Rob

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2ivYb.1329$Q%5.13624384@news-
> text.cableinet.net...
>
> > Well, it was in Cheltenham .. funny that you mention that :) However,
they
> > didn't see laa-dee-daa enough.
>
> It just rang a bell with me and sure enough google archives came to my rescue..........mind you it
> was only *three* girls in the original post
back
> in 2002!

Heh heh ... I'm getting older ....

"Robert Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
>
> > I have to agree, although when I was in Dublin I was impressed by the police there; they seemed
> > much less hamstrung by pandering to people's 'civil rights' than the UK police.
>
> Absolutely. Better that the police give nine innocent people a f**king
good
> kicking than one guilty person get away scot free.

I'm not advocating the police go around beating up innocent people, so stop trying to stir
things up.

The police in the UK are, however, so concerned with 'civil rights' that they are now virtually
impotent in many circumstances. Their morale is an at an all-time low. And guess what; violent crime
is at an all-time high. Hmm...wonder if there's a connection? What do you reckon?

"Nick" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Robert Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
> >
> > > I have to agree, although when I was in Dublin I was impressed by the police there; they
> > > seemed much less hamstrung by pandering to people's 'civil rights' than the UK police.
> >
> > Absolutely. Better that the police give nine innocent people a f**king good kicking than one
> > guilty person get away scot free.
> >
> I'm not advocating the police go around beating up innocent people, so stop trying to stir
> things up.
>
> The police in the UK are, however, so concerned with 'civil rights' that they are now virtually
> impotent in many circumstances. Their morale is an at an all-time low. And guess what; violent
> crime is at an all-time high.

That is factually untrue.

Crime is falling and has been falling steadily for ten years. New procedures for recording violent
crime in England and Wales (the 'National Crime Recording Standard') have led to a higher number
being recorded, but the British Crime Survey, which hasn't changed it's procedures, reports that
violent crime is _down_ by 3% on last year, and substantially down on where it was ten years ago.

In fact the figures clearly show that crime rose consistently under the Conservatives, and has
fallen consistently under Labour (NB I do not support either of these parties). See e.g.: <URL:http://www.sustainable-
development.gov.uk/indicators/headline/h8.htm> (Although, as you'll correctly point out, that
doesn't cover violent crime).

> Hmm...wonder if there's a connection? What do you reckon?

I reckon you've been reading either the Daily Mail or the Daily Express.

Morning had broken, and I found when I looked that we had run out of copper roove nails.

> > The police in the UK are, however, so concerned with 'civil rights' that they are now virtually
> > impotent in many circumstances. Their morale is
an
> > at an all-time low. And guess what; violent crime is at an all-time
high.

> That is factually untrue.

Which bit? I assure you the morale of the police is very low; my father-in-law is a serving police
officer and most of them want to leave!

> Crime is falling and has been falling steadily for ten years. New procedures for recording violent
> crime in England and Wales (the 'National Crime Recording Standard') have led to a higher number
> being recorded, but the British Crime Survey, which hasn't changed it's procedures, reports that
> violent crime is _down_ by 3% on last year, and substantially down on where it was ten years ago.
>
> In fact the figures clearly show that crime rose consistently under the Conservatives, and has
> fallen consistently under Labour (NB I do not support either of these parties). See e.g.: <URL:http://www.sustainable-
> development.gov.uk/indicators/headline/h8.htm> (Although, as you'll correctly point out, that
> doesn't cover violent crime).
>
> > Hmm...wonder if there's a connection? What do you reckon?

Well I'm not sure the statistics are that believable. Ask many people (particularly those who live
in big cities) what they fear the most. Personally I fear a violent attack on me or my family,
probably in an attempt to steal something (such as my car or bike or during a burglary).

When I last used to ride regularly (early '80s) I can never recall attacks on cyclists like those
described here. The most I'd ever get would be youngsters laughing at my skintights! Now it
appears a substantial minority are prepared to resort to violence at the drop of a hat to get what
they want.

I live and work in Birmingham. In the last week we have witnessed the following:

1. Popular radio DJ and father of three young children run down and killed as he tackled burglars
2. Funeral of teacher run down by a thug in a stolen car right outside his own school. Naturally the
thug didn't stop
3. Young guy shot dead in Central Birmingham by armed robbers

Now my memory may not be what it was, but I don't it being like this 15-20 years ago. Perhaps it's
different where you live but this is reality in a city like Birmingham in 2004.

> I reckon you've been reading either the Daily Mail or the Daily Express

I try to avoid all of the rags wherever possible! : -)

Nick wrote:

> Well I'm not sure the statistics are that believable. Ask many people (particularly those who live
> in big cities) what they fear the most. Personally I fear a violent attack on me or my family,
> probably in an attempt to steal something (such as my car or bike or during a burglary).

Probably true; however people are not necessarily /right/ in being worried about violent crime.
Lurid crime stories make for better headlines and more exciting television.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Nick" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > The police in the UK are, however, so concerned with 'civil rights' that they are now
> > > virtually impotent in many circumstances. Their morale is
> an
> > > at an all-time low. And guess what; violent crime is at an all-time
> high.
> >
> > That is factually untrue.
>
> Which bit? I assure you the morale of the police is very low; my father-in-law is a serving police
> officer and most of them want to leave!

The suggestion that violent crime is up. It isn't, it's down.

> Well I'm not sure the statistics are that believable. Ask many people (particularly those who live
> in big cities) what they fear the most.

They fear crime because their television watching is full of crime programmes and the newspapers
they read are full of sensationalised stories about crimes. They aren't afraid of crime because it's
actually up - it isn't, it's actually down.

Similarly, when you and I were kids we used to walk to school or go on the bus to school
unaccompanied and no-one thought twice about it. We used to play out all day and no-one had a clue
where we were, and no-one thought twice about it. Now children aren't allowed to play out and many
children aren't allowed to go to school unaccompanied. Why not? Because it's 'too dangerous'.

Actually, deaths of children in road accidents are down, and abduction of children by strangers is
substantially down. It's much safer now for children to walk to school or to play out than it was
then. But people *think* it's more dangerous, just as you *think* there's more violent crime. It
isn't actually true.

> Personally I fear a violent attack on me or my family, probably in an attempt to steal something
> (such as my car or bike or during a burglary).

And when is the last time this actually happened to a member of your family? How many personal
friends of yours (not 'friend of friends', or 'someone the man down the pub was talking about') have
been victims of violent attack in the last five years?

> When I last used to ride regularly (early '80s) I can never recall attacks on cyclists like those
> described here.

No, you wouldn't. It was as rare then as it is now. You could cycle through the back streets of
Edinburgh (where the recent attack happened) for thousands of years without being being attacked.
Thousands of people *do* cycle in Edinburgh every day, and if one gets attacked it makes national
headline news - it's *that* rare.

> I live and work in Birmingham. In the last week we have witnessed the following:
>
> 1. Popular radio DJ and father of three young children run down and killed as he tackled burglars
> 2. Funeral of teacher run down by a thug in a stolen car right outside his own school. Naturally
> the thug didn't stop
> 3. Young guy shot dead in Central Birmingham by armed robbers

And that's in a city of how many million people?

Violent crime anywhere in Britain is rare. In most of Britain it's vanishingly rare, and, even then,
most violent crime (like most child abuse) is 'in the family'. People are abused, assaulted, or
killed by their parents, spouses or children far more often than they're abused, assaulted or killed
by strangers. You are a bit more likely to be hit over the head by J Random Thug than you are to be
hit over the head by a meteorite.

The present frenzy of hysteria about violent crime is just that - hysteria.

> Now my memory may not be what it was, but I don't it being like this 15-20 years ago. Perhaps it's
> different where you live but this is reality in a city like Birmingham in 2004.

Crime did rise substantially during the Thatcher years. But I suggest you go to Birmingham central
library and pull out the local newspapers for a random week in 1985; I think you'll find that your
memory is faulty.

;; lovely alternative to rice.

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Probably true; however people are not necessarily /right/ in being worried about violent crime.

I totally agree. Yes, that's even with what has happened to me in the past as detailed in an earlier
post. The media seek "exciting" stories and sensationalise them, giving people the impression that
the world is much worse than it is.

Graeme