Edinburgh meetup: pedal systems?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
    for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
    kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
    use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.

    Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
    usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
    for the day?

    ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

    Tags:

  2. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Simon Brooke [email protected] opined the following...
    > So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
    > for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
    > kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
    > use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
    >
    > Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
    > usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
    > for the day?

    All my bikes have SPDs and I consequently have a pair of them which can
    easily be removed temporarily if someone needs a pair for the day.

    Jon

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 21/8/04 11:06 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

    > Simon Brooke [email protected] opined the following...
    >> So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
    >> for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
    >> kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
    >> use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
    >>
    >> Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
    >> usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
    >> for the day?

    > All my bikes have SPDs and I consequently have a pair of them which can
    > easily be removed temporarily if someone needs a pair for the day.

    I still have to persuade SWMBO to let me out but if I come I'll try to
    remember a pedal spanner. My bikes are SPD or flatties (or I could be
    contrary and fit the look pedals again ;-)

    ...d

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
    > for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
    > kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
    > use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
    >
    > Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
    > usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
    > for the day?

    I've got SPDs.
    On an other matter, I got a unicycle a month ago for my birthday, is it
    worth me bringing it along. Can anyone coming go one. If so any chance of a
    tip or two. I'm having a little difficulty getting going on it. Three
    revolutions is the best I've achieved so far.
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

  5. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Mark [email protected] opined the following...
    > I've got SPDs.
    > On an other matter, I got a unicycle a month ago for my birthday, is it
    > worth me bringing it along. Can anyone coming go one. If so any chance of a
    > tip or two. I'm having a little difficulty getting going on it. Three
    > revolutions is the best I've achieved so far.

    There's a big top just along from the meet, there may be someone around
    who has an idea. I'd be game for a laugh but I _will_ end up bruised!

    Jon

  6. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    David Martin [email protected] opined the following...
    > I still have to persuade SWMBO to let me out but if I come I'll try to
    > remember a pedal spanner. My bikes are SPD or flatties (or I could be
    > contrary and fit the look pedals again ;-)

    I live not far from the meadows and will probably be bringing a
    reasonable toolkit so don't worry too much.

    Jon

  7. In news:[email protected],
    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
    > So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
    > for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
    > kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
    > use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
    >
    > Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
    > usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
    > for the day?

    When is this meet-up? And where?
    I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
    > When is this meet-up? And where?
    > I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

    Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)
    Place: The Meadows

    Jon

  9. In news:[email protected],
    Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
    > Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
    >> When is this meet-up? And where?
    >> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

    > Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)
    > Place: The Meadows
    >
    > Jon

    Won't get there till evening. :(
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  10. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:40:34 +0100, "Martin Bulmer"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >In news:[email protected],
    >Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
    >> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
    >>> When is this meet-up? And where?
    >>> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

    >> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)
    >> Place: The Meadows
    >>
    >> Jon

    >Won't get there till evening. :(

    We're planning at going for something to eat at between 5 and 7pm,
    then seeing a Fringe show about cycling at 10pm.

    The fun just never stops!

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:

    > Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
    >> When is this meet-up? And where?
    >> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

    > Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)

    Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
    Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
    then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

    ;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

  12. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

    >So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
    >for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
    >kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
    >use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.

    >Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
    >usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
    >for the day?

    Pete and I have Time pedals and cleats. I may actually have some SPD
    cleats that came with my shoes though I have no clue _where_...

    Probably easier to swap pedals around, which will be necessary anyway if
    someone wants to try the Fiero.

    Roos

  13. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 23/8/04 9:35 am, in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    > <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
    >>> When is this meet-up? And where?
    >>> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

    >> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)

    > Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
    > Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
    > then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

    If I'm bringing the weans it would have to be really gentle.. None of mine
    are up to riding on the road and I don't have a tandem. It would mean I can
    bring one child (either in trailer, trailerbike or child seat.)

    ...d

  14. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > I've got SPDs.

    Roos and I have Times, but I'll take a decentish pair of platforms off
    the old tourer when I leave it at the Bike Station so we'll have a pair
    of "normal" ones along that anyone can borrow.

    > On an other matter, I got a unicycle a month ago for my birthday, is it
    > worth me bringing it along. Can anyone coming go one.

    Up to a point, Lord Copper ;-) I've got about 1km non-stop as a PB, and
    can get down a bumpy lane, but not back up it!

    > tip or two. I'm having a little difficulty getting going on it. Three
    > revolutions is the best I've achieved so far.

    Bring it along and we'll see how we do...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  15. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
    > Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
    > then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

    Sounds like a plan. I'd probably allow a little more time since there
    will undoubtedly be some exchanging of bikes and recumbent training but
    a shortish, gentle potter would be good. If we can link on to the NCN
    routes it's possible to stay mostly off-road out to Cramond, or
    Queensferry which could make a nice ambling ride.

    Jon

  16. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:13:00 +0100, David Martin
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >On 23/8/04 9:35 am, in article
    >[email protected], "Simon Brooke"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    >> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:
    >>
    >>> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
    >>>
    >>> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)

    >> Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
    >> Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
    >> then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

    >If I'm bringing the weans it would have to be really gentle.. None of mine
    >are up to riding on the road and I don't have a tandem. It would mean I can
    >bring one child (either in trailer, trailerbike or child seat.)

    My toddler's staying his his mum on Saturday, so I've room for a
    toddler on my toddler seat.

    (Let me know if you're interested, and I'll make sure I keep it
    attached.)

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

  17. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:10:23 +0100, Jon Senior
    <[email protected]_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote (more or less):

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >[email protected] says...
    >> Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
    >> Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
    >> then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

    >Sounds like a plan. I'd probably allow a little more time since there
    >will undoubtedly be some exchanging of bikes and recumbent training but
    >a shortish, gentle potter would be good. If we can link on to the NCN
    >routes it's possible to stay mostly off-road out to Cramond, or
    >Queensferry which could make a nice ambling ride.

    I've been out training specially, in the hope I'll be able to keep
    up...

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

  18. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 23/8/04 11:44 am, in article [email protected],
    "Gawnsoft" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> If I'm bringing the weans it would have to be really gentle.. None of mine
    >> are up to riding on the road and I don't have a tandem. It would mean I can
    >> bring one child (either in trailer, trailerbike or child seat.)

    > My toddler's staying his his mum on Saturday, so I've room for a
    > toddler on my toddler seat.
    >
    > (Let me know if you're interested, and I'll make sure I keep it
    > attached.)

    The options are to bring #3 in a child seat or trailer. The child seat will
    be easier on the train but that means I'll have to wear a rucksack. And to
    bring #1 on her own bike. That will require traffic free routes with no
    nasty bits. (or short bits she'd rather walk.)

    Have to run this past SWMBO first.. It may be that we don't come at all..

    I'll confirm by the end of the week.

    ...d

  19. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I've been out training specially, in the hope I'll be able to keep
    > up...

    Joking aside, I think a "no-one gets dropped" ride would be best. If
    anyone fancies going fast we can always race round the meadows at the
    start!

    Jon