Edinburgh meetup: pedal systems?

Simon Brooke

Guest
So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.

Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
for the day?

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

Simon Brooke [email protected] opined the following...
> So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
> for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
> kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
> use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
>
> Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
> usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
> for the day?

All my bikes have SPDs and I consequently have a pair of them which can
easily be removed temporarily if someone needs a pair for the day.

Jon

On 21/8/04 11:06 pm, in article [email protected],
"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

> Simon Brooke [email protected] opined the following...
>> So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
>> for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
>> kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
>> use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
>>
>> Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
>> usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
>> for the day?

> All my bikes have SPDs and I consequently have a pair of them which can
> easily be removed temporarily if someone needs a pair for the day.

I still have to persuade SWMBO to let me out but if I come I'll try to
remember a pedal spanner. My bikes are SPD or flatties (or I could be
contrary and fit the look pedals again ;-)

...d

Simon Brooke wrote:
> So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
> for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
> kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
> use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
>
> Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
> usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
> for the day?

I've got SPDs.
On an other matter, I got a unicycle a month ago for my birthday, is it
worth me bringing it along. Can anyone coming go one. If so any chance of a
tip or two. I'm having a little difficulty getting going on it. Three
revolutions is the best I've achieved so far.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

Mark [email protected] opined the following...
> I've got SPDs.
> On an other matter, I got a unicycle a month ago for my birthday, is it
> worth me bringing it along. Can anyone coming go one. If so any chance of a
> tip or two. I'm having a little difficulty getting going on it. Three
> revolutions is the best I've achieved so far.

There's a big top just along from the meet, there may be someone around
who has an idea. I'd be game for a laugh but I _will_ end up bruised!

Jon

David Martin [email protected] opined the following...
> I still have to persuade SWMBO to let me out but if I come I'll try to
> remember a pedal spanner. My bikes are SPD or flatties (or I could be
> contrary and fit the look pedals again ;-)

I live not far from the meadows and will probably be bringing a
reasonable toolkit so don't worry too much.

Jon

In news:[email protected],
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
> for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
> kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
> use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.
>
> Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
> usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
> for the day?

When is this meet-up? And where?
I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.
--

Martin Bulmer

Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
> When is this meet-up? And where?
> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)
Place: The Meadows

Jon

In news:[email protected],
Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
>> When is this meet-up? And where?
>> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)
> Place: The Meadows
>
> Jon

Won't get there till evening. :(
--

Martin Bulmer

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:40:34 +0100, "Martin Bulmer"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>In news:[email protected],
>Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
>> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
>>> When is this meet-up? And where?
>>> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

>> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)
>> Place: The Meadows
>>
>> Jon

>Won't get there till evening. :(

We're planning at going for something to eat at between 5 and 7pm,
then seeing a Fringe show about cycling at 10pm.

The fun just never stops!

--
Cheers,
Euan

in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:

> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
>> When is this meet-up? And where?
>> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)

Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

>So far the only votes I've seen for which bike I'm to bring have been
>for #1 Road C. I could bring it with either SPD or SPD-R pedals - I'm
>kind of assuming that most people (whatever other pedal systems they
>use) probably have a pair of shoes with SPD cleats.

>Is this a sensible assumption and if so could those people who also
>usually have non SPD pedals on their bikes think about putting SPDs on
>for the day?

Pete and I have Time pedals and cleats. I may actually have some SPD
cleats that came with my shoes though I have no clue _where_...

Probably easier to swap pedals around, which will be necessary anyway if
someone wants to try the Fiero.

Roos

On 23/8/04 9:35 am, in article
<[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:
>
>> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
>>> When is this meet-up? And where?
>>> I'll be near Edinburgh this time next week.

>> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)

> Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
> Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
> then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

If I'm bringing the weans it would have to be really gentle.. None of mine
are up to riding on the road and I don't have a tandem. It would mean I can
bring one child (either in trailer, trailerbike or child seat.)

...d

Mark wrote:

> I've got SPDs.

Roos and I have Times, but I'll take a decentish pair of platforms off
the old tourer when I leave it at the Bike Station so we'll have a pair
of "normal" ones along that anyone can borrow.

> On an other matter, I got a unicycle a month ago for my birthday, is it
> worth me bringing it along. Can anyone coming go one.

Up to a point, Lord Copper ;-) I've got about 1km non-stop as a PB, and
can get down a bumpy lane, but not back up it!

> tip or two. I'm having a little difficulty getting going on it. Three
> revolutions is the best I've achieved so far.

Bring it along and we'll see how we do...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

[email protected] says...
> Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
> Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
> then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

Sounds like a plan. I'd probably allow a little more time since there
will undoubtedly be some exchanging of bikes and recumbent training but
a shortish, gentle potter would be good. If we can link on to the NCN
routes it's possible to stay mostly off-road out to Cramond, or
Queensferry which could make a nice ambling ride.

Jon

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:13:00 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>On 23/8/04 9:35 am, in article
>[email protected], "Simon Brooke"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
>> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:
>>
>>> Martin Bulmer [email protected] opined the following...
>>>
>>> Time: Saturday 28th August TBA (Afternoon)

>> Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
>> Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
>> then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

>If I'm bringing the weans it would have to be really gentle.. None of mine
>are up to riding on the road and I don't have a tandem. It would mean I can
>bring one child (either in trailer, trailerbike or child seat.)

My toddler's staying his his mum on Saturday, so I've room for a
toddler on my toddler seat.

(Let me know if you're interested, and I'll make sure I keep it
attached.)

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:10:23 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon@restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote (more or less):

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>> Should we say 2pm? Should we further say we'll hang around Middle Meadow
>> Walk for about half an hour or so for all the company to gather, and
>> then cycle off on a reasonably gentle run somewhere?

>Sounds like a plan. I'd probably allow a little more time since there
>will undoubtedly be some exchanging of bikes and recumbent training but
>a shortish, gentle potter would be good. If we can link on to the NCN
>routes it's possible to stay mostly off-road out to Cramond, or
>Queensferry which could make a nice ambling ride.

I've been out training specially, in the hope I'll be able to keep
up...

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On 23/8/04 11:44 am, in article [email protected],
"Gawnsoft" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> If I'm bringing the weans it would have to be really gentle.. None of mine
>> are up to riding on the road and I don't have a tandem. It would mean I can
>> bring one child (either in trailer, trailerbike or child seat.)

> My toddler's staying his his mum on Saturday, so I've room for a
> toddler on my toddler seat.
>
> (Let me know if you're interested, and I'll make sure I keep it
> attached.)

The options are to bring #3 in a child seat or trailer. The child seat will
be easier on the train but that means I'll have to wear a rucksack. And to
bring #1 on her own bike. That will require traffic free routes with no
nasty bits. (or short bits she'd rather walk.)

Have to run this past SWMBO first.. It may be that we don't come at all..

I'll confirm by the end of the week.

...d

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I've been out training specially, in the hope I'll be able to keep
> up...

Joking aside, I think a "no-one gets dropped" ride would be best. If
anyone fancies going fast we can always race round the meadows at the
start!

Jon