Editorial in The Age this morning

Bugbear

Guest
I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
to see alot of cyclists around the city...

I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
difference does it make how fast you are going.

The icing on the cake came this morning. If you would be so good as
to look at the editorial of todays paper. It's more of the same -
cyclist must be brought to heel and punished for their evil ways.
What I found amusing (well in a cynical way) is how directly under the
editor's rant on cyclists was the current road toll for this year -
over 200 people have been killed by motorists this year.

But that's OK. Cyclist's are still evil.

Oh well. I've put on 4kg this week through no exercise and too much
restaurant food. I'm looking forward to hitting the bike next week
and getting my weight back down.

Oh and Melbourne's put on some fantastic weather this week.
Considering I'm Sydney born, living in Perth, that's gotta be saying
something.

Happy commuting everyone!

Bugbear said:
I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
to see alot of cyclists around the city...

I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
difference does it make how fast you are going.

Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with promoting cycling in Melbourne.

Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling 'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

Slow down, hoons warned (September 7, 2007)
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26, 2006)
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13, 2007)
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22236245-1702,00.html?from=public_rss

On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bugbear Wrote:
>
> > I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
> > home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
> > to see alot of cyclists around the city...

> > I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
> > posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
> > doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
> > stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
> > trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
> > difference does it make how fast you are going.

> Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
> promoting cycling in Melbourne.
>
> Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
> 'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.
>
> Slow down, hoons warned (September 7, 2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html
>
> Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26, 2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html
>
> Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
> selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?
>
> Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13, 2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso
>
> --
> cfsmtb

My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

On Sep 7, 10:44 pm, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-
>

> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Bugbear Wrote:

> > > I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
> > > home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
> > > to see alot of cyclists around the city...

> > > I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
> > > posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
> > > doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
> > > stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
> > > trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
> > > difference does it make how fast you are going.

> > Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
> > promoting cycling in Melbourne.

> > Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
> > 'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

> > Slow down, hoons warned (September 7, 2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

> > Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26, 2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

> > Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
> > selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

> > Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13, 2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso

> > --
> > cfsmtb

> My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

The Melbourne Daily Astonisher. That's the one.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 7, 10:44 pm, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-
>>

>> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

>> > Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
>> > promoting cycling in Melbourne.

>> > Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
>> > 'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

>> > Slow down, hoons warned (September 7,
>> > 2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

>> > Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26,
>> > 2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

>> > Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
>> > selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

>> > Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13,
>> > 2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso

>> > --
>> > cfsmtb

>> My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

> The Melbourne Daily Astonisher. That's the one.

A.K.A "The Herald Scum" in reference to the majority of it's readership
base.

On Sep 8, 9:31 am, "Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Sep 7, 10:44 pm, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

> > The Melbourne Daily Astonisher. That's the one.

> A.K.A "The Herald Scum" in reference to the majority of it's readership
> base.- Hide quoted text -

Well then I'm glad I didn't pay for the paper then (at least, not
directly...)

Well then I'm glad I didn't pay for the paper then (at least, not
directly...)[/QUOTE]

you paid what it was worth then:)

ProfTournesol said:
Well then I'm glad I didn't pay for the paper then (at least, not
directly...)

you paid what it was worth then:)[/QUOTE]

No... still paid more than it was worth...

On 2007-09-08, Roadie_scum wrote:
> No... still paid more than it was worth...

The Herald Sun is like MX. They'd have to pay me to read it for it to be
worth the cost.

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:46:40 +0000, Stuart Lamble wrote:

> The Herald Sun is like MX. They'd have to pay me to read it for it to be
> worth the cost.

Oh be nice. The Sudoku is a good way to pass a train trip.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory

On 2007-09-10, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:46:40 +0000, Stuart Lamble wrote:
>
>> The Herald Sun is like MX. They'd have to pay me to read it for it to be
>> worth the cost.

> Oh be nice. The Sudoku is a good way to pass a train trip.

Five minutes and I'm done. Next!