Edmonton

evo59

Jul 6, 2004
where's a good place to buy MTB?

what are some good mtb for around $700-800 cdn..

Originally posted by evo59
where's a good place to buy MTB?

what are some good mtb for around $700-800 cdn..

Try United Cycle on the Calgary Trail they have a pretty good selection. Revoloution Cycle on Stoney Plain road have alot of mtb's as well so you could try there also.

Good luck!!

magrat22 said:
Try United Cycle on the Calgary Trail they have a pretty good selection. Revoloution Cycle on Stoney Plain road have alot of mtb's as well so you could try there also.

Good luck!!

Stay away from Western Cycle :mad: and River Valley Cycle :eek: ,those guys that work there have no clue on how to treat their customers (especialy Western Cycle...! :p ).I have had good luck with United Cycle and Revolution.

Dan :)

Banatean said:
Stay away from Western Cycle :mad: and River Valley Cycle :eek: ,those guys that work there have no clue on how to treat their customers (especialy Western Cycle...! :p ).I have had good luck with United Cycle and Revolution.

Dan :)

Amen, Brother! I've had the misfortune to be in Western a couple of times, never again...

:mad:

Hey Evo:

United Cycle would probably be my choice. They are always friendly and helpful (to me anyway's) and have a lot of inventory to pick from. Prices seem to be fair as well. You should be able to find a great machine there in your price range.

Another shop you should check out is Red Wing Sports here in Leduc. They are a Giant dealer and have a lot of MTB's to choose from in a variety of price ranges. It's kind of cool buying your bike from the same guy who wrenches on them!

Good luck in your search.

Well, here's my experience in the past few years, buying a few bikes at local shoppes...

I bought a bike from united, and then the next year (last June) it got stolen. So my girlfriend bought me another one for my birthday, it also came from united. The last one, they totally dropped the ball. The salesman told her he'd not charge her the tax, and he'd give her a bell and a waterbottle cage. when she came to pick up the bike, they refused to honour the deal, because the salesman wasn't there (even though he had written it down). she still bought it, because it was a good deal, even if they were being douche bags. The after purchase service has been pretty paltry. I won't buy another bike there.

We just bought a new bike for my girlfriend at Western. The experience has been completly different. If you buy a bike at western, for the next 2 years, you get 15% off anything else they sell. Not only that, but it's good for friends and family. So locks, helmets, shorts, powerbars, socks, shoes, pedals, whatever... 15% off. They give you lifetime adjustments on your bike.
so everytime you need to tweak your discs, because they're rubbing, you can go in. They'll fix it for you in the parking lot, and you're off. The only condition is, you have to attend their bike tune up clinic, where they teach you about bicycle maintenance. It's pretty sweet.

All in all, I'm very happy with Western's price and service. That's my story, that sucks if you've had bad experiences. I really like Norcos.

drewzo said:
Well, here's my experience in the past few years, buying a few bikes at local shoppes...

I bought a bike from united, and then the next year (last June) it got stolen. So my girlfriend bought me another one for my birthday, it also came from united. The last one, they totally dropped the ball. The salesman told her he'd not charge her the tax, and he'd give her a bell and a waterbottle cage. when she came to pick up the bike, they refused to honour the deal, because the salesman wasn't there (even though he had written it down). she still bought it, because it was a good deal, even if they were being douche bags. The after purchase service has been pretty paltry. I won't buy another bike there.

We just bought a new bike for my girlfriend at Western. The experience has been completly different. If you buy a bike at western, for the next 2 years, you get 15% off anything else they sell. Not only that, but it's good for friends and family. So locks, helmets, shorts, powerbars, socks, shoes, pedals, whatever... 15% off. They give you lifetime adjustments on your bike.
so everytime you need to tweak your discs, because they're rubbing, you can go in. They'll fix it for you in the parking lot, and you're off. The only condition is, you have to attend their bike tune up clinic, where they teach you about bicycle maintenance. It's pretty sweet.

All in all, I'm very happy with Western's price and service. That's my story, that sucks if you've had bad experiences. I really like Norcos.
It's nice that you've got such good service from Western. It's a real pity that so many people never get to see it, because they never get past the bad initial impression you get from walking into the store (and remember, this isn't just me talking, I personally know of a number of my friends and acquaintances who feel the same).

Are you connected in any way to Western, by the way?

Cheers,
J.

I have absolutly no vested interest in Western Cycle. I just live down the street, and have been satisfied with our dealings. Everyone is going to tell you different things, but those were my experiences.

Honestly, the aftersale care is what blows me away. It was my girlfriend who bought the bike, but I picked up a sweet new helmet, some fenders and a shirt for 15% off. Because of that, I will continue shopping there.

We had been told by a lot of people that western wasn't the best, but decided to check it out anyways, and were very happy.

I know this is an old post, but I have to put my vote in for great service at Western Cycle too. And, no, I have no vested interest. Their service has been above and beyond on two occasions (and excellent every other time), even though I've never bought a bike there.

I've had great service from many of the local bike shops, including United, Pedalhead Road Works, Redbike, and WayPastFast. We're lucky to have such good stores here.

Unfortunately, I would second those that have had poor experiences at Western Cycle. My last experience there, I went to get a tube - they're just down the street from me - 700x23 near the beginning of the season and the ONLY tube they had that was compatible was a $26 superlight one covered in talc from some French company. I mean 700x23 is about as common as you get. Maybe there was a local event happening or a worldwide rubber shortage or some other extenuating issue but I didn't get it and the few other times I've been there whether I bought something or not, I always leave feeing like I got screwed. I don't go there anymore.