EEE width MTB cycle shoes - where to get?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rocketman58, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. rocketman58

    rocketman58 Guest

    Where can I get wide MTB clipless shoes? Note: I can't spent $200 either. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. res09c5t

    res09c5t Guest

    Sidi makes the Mega line which are wide but they are pricey. Not quite $200
    but close.
    I wear either a 14 or 15 EEE depending on the shoe. I wear the Sidi Mega
    Dominators. I had bought some Diadoras a few years back that fit okay but
    had just a little more flex than my foot could handle. I was having some
    foot trouble at the time. The Diadoras were around $100.
    Not sure what else is out there.
    Lyle

    "rocketman58" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Where can I get wide MTB clipless shoes? Note: I can't spent $200

    either. Thanks.

  3. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart Guest

    Rocketman58 wrote:
    > Where can I get wide MTB clipless shoes? Note: I can't spent $200
    > either. Thanks.

    Check out the Cannondale line. I have very wide feet, and have found
    their shoes to be very accomodating. They are also very comfortable off
    the bike as well as being very durable. I have a pair that are 5 years
    old, and they are the most comfortable shoes I own. I also wear custom
    orthotics, and there is no difficulty using them in these shoes.

    --

  4. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:40:13 -0700, rocketman58 wrote:

    > Where can I get wide MTB clipless shoes? Note: I can't spent $200 either

    I only get North Wave MTB shoes now, as they are the only ones to be
    comfortable,(and seem to be very long lasting) though there is only a
    limited range of makes locally to try,so I've never tried Cannondale, and
    the SIDIs already mentioned are beyond my price range.Buying Mail-order is
    not really an option if you have wide feet IMO.
    Alan.

    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

  5. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart Guest

    A.Lee wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:40:13 -0700, rocketman58 wrote:
    > > Where can I get wide MTB clipless shoes? Note: I can't spent
    > > $200 either

    > I only get North Wave MTB shoes now, as they are the only ones to be
    > comfortable,(and seem to be very long lasting) though there is only a
    > limited range of makes locally to try,so I've never tried Cannondale,
    > and the SIDIs already mentioned are beyond my price range.Buying Mail-
    > order is not really an option if you have wide feet IMO. Alan.
    > --
    > To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.
    > http://www.dvatc.co.uk/http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the
    > North Midlands.

    Shoes are one item I would never buy mail order, especially if you
    are hard to fit. My normal size for dress shoes or work boots is 11,
    but I have found with cycling shoes I need anywhere from 12 to 14
    depending on the brand. There doesn't seem to be much consistency
    with their sizing.

    --

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Specialized Mtn. Sport or Comp are cut full and accomodate wide feet.
    The Sport is stetchier.

  7. Mudhead

    Mudhead Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:52:08 GMT, Paul Kopit <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Specialized Mtn. Sport or Comp are cut full and accomodate wide feet.
    >The Sport is stetchier.

    I have very wide feet and am very happy with my Sidi Mega Dominators.

    They are wider than the regular Sidi Dominator shoe.

    ---Mudhead

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "rocketman58" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Where can I get wide MTB clipless shoes? Note: I can't spent $200 either.

    Thanks.

    Sidis are going to set you back $200, but they're worth it. Diadoras are the
    second best, not as nice as the Sidis, not as wide, either, but you can find
    them for $60 or so.

  9. rocketman58

    rocketman58 Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. I have tried most of
    the brands mentioned, but I found them all to narrow. It looks like
    shoes can vary from model to model, from year to year, even sometimes
    from shoe to shoe!

    I am currently using an old pair of Nike Air Amasa (think I spelled
    that right). They are very wide in the right places for me. They
    also have the cleat mount set to the inside of the shoe, allowing more
    clearance between the crank and shoe (not the thing for fans of low
    Q). They do have laces, and are not really performance oriented, but
    they fit. Alas, they stopped making these some years ago. Current
    shoes from Nike are very narrow.

    Looks like I may have to go with the Sidi Mega shoes. I guess I'll
    try a pair on, and start saving my $$$.

  10. Lew

    Lew Guest

  11. NeauDL

    NeauDL Guest

    Also look at Specialized BG shoes, if you haven't already. I find the toe box
    of the Pro Road shoe as wide as on the SIDI Mega (size 42 for both).