Effect of cadence during 20mins isopower effort

sogood

Aug 24, 2006
While doing an indoor iso-power 2x20 session on a stationary bike, I wondered what's the effect of cadence on muscle adaptation?

During an indoor session, I typically dial in a fixed power setting and crank away at a fixed cadence. The question is what's the relative pro and cons of riding at a cadence of 115 vs 100 under such a condition? Is there any benefit to ride at 115 or even 120?

sogood said:
While doing an indoor iso-power 2x20 session on a stationary bike, I wondered what's the effect of cadence on muscle adaptation?

During an indoor session, I typically dial in a fixed power setting and crank away at a fixed cadence. The question is what's the relative pro and cons of riding at a cadence of 115 vs 100 under such a condition? Is there any benefit to ride at 115 or even 120?
The only time I'd suggest worrying about cadence is if you are required to ride at such cadences in your target events. That is the case for track enduro riders on a fixed gear for example. It does make a good change up at times, so consider an isopower session but using variable cadences throughout. You will probably notice a lift in HR by upping the cadence but we don't care about that, do we? ;)

Alex Simmons said:
The only time I'd suggest worrying about cadence is if you are required to ride at such cadences in your target events. That is the case for track enduro riders on a fixed gear for example. It does make a good change up at times, so consider an isopower session but using variable cadences throughout. You will probably notice a lift in HR by upping the cadence but we don't care about that, do we? ;)
Thanks Alex. Originally I rode a highish cadence to bring up my natural cadence. Now that I am there (I think), your suggestion of running a range makes sense. I'll give it a go and see how it hits the body.