Effect of cadence on Saddle Comfort

Carligene

Jun 25, 2022
Hello! I am getting back into training. Here's my dilemma. I want to build miles by spinning at a high cadence, say 95+. This kind of spinning however puts more of a strained feeling on my butt, or more specifically, I think the perineum. As a result, I often default to a slower cadence at a higher gear because pushing that way relieves the pressure off the saddle making me more comfortable. My question is how can I resolve this dilemma so I can spin more briskly, staying a bit more comfortable? For reference I have no weight to loose...I am 5' 7" and weight 140. Thanks!

I'd bet it's your adjustment and set up.
I'm a Clydesdale at 240 pounds and I spin around 100rpm with no discomfort.

Also check into different saddles. I have used Terry WTB Cannondale Trek Specialized Selle Italia, and found the Terry to be the most comfortable of all. 100 miles first ride out of the box. Sadly up from $60 to $175, I won't buy a 4th out of principle because I think they're price gouging now.

I did read about a Spoon Charge saddle on a cycling forum. Not being totally satisfied with higher priced models thought I'd give it a try.

Shape and geometry fits me perfectly and for less than $30 on ebay I've found my go to saddle. Been riding 3 different ones on my 3 main bikes for about a year and I'm surprisingly impressed.

Just fits my butt like a glove.
20220731_111232.jpg

DSCN2202.JPG

Reactions: cobbwheels
If you are just getting back into things I would wait a bit and just see if racking up time on the bike makes things better. I noticed that for me the number-one factor in being comfortable on road bikes is being in shape. The real seat is your butt, and once all of those leg and butt and other muscles are toned up and bigger, I did not have a problem putting miles on any of my three road bikes. As light as you are you should end up having an easy time of it once you are in shape. I am usually 200+ pounds unless I ride a LOT of miles, like over 150 per week, then I have gotten down below 190. I can't imaging how comfy it must be weighing fifty pounds less than I do now as far as seating goes......

Reactions: cobbwheels
Hello! I am getting back into training. Here's my dilemma. I want to build miles by spinning at a high cadence, say 95+. This kind of spinning however puts more of a strained feeling on my butt, or more specifically, I think the perineum. As a result, I often default to a slower cadence at a higher gear because pushing that way relieves the pressure off the saddle making me more comfortable. My question is how can I resolve this dilemma so I can spin more briskly, staying a bit more comfortable? For reference I have no weight to loose...I am 5' 7" and weight 140. Thanks!

At 140 lbs, you'd be lightweight. As it seems, many lightweight riders tend to perform better at lower cadences. Take for instance, Marco Pantani who used crank arms way too long for his inseam length. Such equipment choice would dictate mashing pedaling technique and lower cadence.

Another one is Alberto Contador who compared to his heavier rival, Chris Froome also pedals at a lower cadence at higher gear.

HOWEVER, if you're really better at higher cadence, one thing you can do to help reduce butt discomfort is periodically pedal out of the saddle. Even just 5 to 10 seconds out of the saddle every now and then will hugely improve your butt endurance on the saddle. This also means you need to include out of the saddle intervals in your training to get used to it so you don't burn out doing it. Pedaling out of the saddle not only helps the butt but it recruits different muscles, may give some of your tired muscles some rest during a long climb so it's a very useful technique to learn and get used to.

I don't really time when I need to stand on the pedals. Whenever I'm starting to feel a bit of soreness on the glutes and hamstrings is the signal for me to pedal out of the saddle for 5 to 10 seconds.

Training to pedal at lower cadence at higher gear is not a bad choice either, especially at your weight. What would help avoid muscle fatigue when pedaling at low cadence is learn how to recruit your glutes and hamstrings on the downstroke and avoid using the hamstrings to pull up and scrape back (pull the leg up with the hip flexors only). You may even avoid pulling the pedal up entirely to further unload your butt.

I am getting back into training. Here's my dilemma. I want to build miles by spinning at a high cadence, say 95+. This kind of spinning however puts more of a strained feeling on my butt, or more specifically, I think the perineum. As a result, I often default to a slower cadence at a higher gear because pushing that way relieves the pressure off the saddle making me more comfortable. My question is how can I resolve this dilemma so I can spin more briskly, staying a bit more comfortable? For reference I have no weight to loose...I am 5' 7" and weight 140. Thanks!

One potential solution to your dilemma is to invest in a high-quality, well-padded bike seat. A comfortable seat can make a big difference in reducing pressure on your perineum while spinning at a high cadence. Additionally, you may want to consider adjusting the position of your seat on the bike, as well as the angle and height of your handlebars. Experimenting with different setups can help you find the most comfortable position for your body.

Another strategy is to build up your miles gradually. Start with shorter rides at a lower cadence and gradually increase the cadence as your body adapts. Remember to also focus on proper form, such as keeping your back straight and your core engaged, which can help reduce pressure on your perineum.

You may also want to try different bike shorts.

Finally, stretching and strength training exercises can help you to build up your muscles and reduce the strain on your perineum. You can work on your core, glutes and hamstring, to help support your body while cycling.

Remember, every body is different and what works for one person may not work for another. It is important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard, too soon. With time and patience, you'll be able to build your miles while staying comfortable.

One potential solution to your dilemma is to invest in a high-quality, well-padded bike seat. A comfortable seat can make a big difference in reducing pressure on your perineum while spinning at a high cadence.

I'm using a cheap saddle that looks identical to the ISM PN1.1 TT saddle;) I think the double stub nose design eliminated perineum discomfort for me completely. So the 3D form design of the saddle is a big factor in comfort. I'm not saying you'll be comfortable on the ISM PN1.1. You may have to discover what form works best for you by trial and error. Some LBS, bike fitters or saddle vendors can lend you a test saddles for free to let see which design works best for your butt.

The key to perineum comfort or discomfort is also from your back posture. You'll notice many of the Pro peloton racers on long stages roll their pelvis upright and keep a tightly curved lower back posture. That helps the perineum away from the nose of the saddle. It also helps open up the hips to deliver more torque to the pedals and helps relax the core muscles to avoid causing fatigue to it. I copy their technique and seems to be the only way I can survive a non-stop 6 hr ride in the mountains without pain.

A good habit to acquire and train for is to be able to pedal out of the saddle (standing) periodically during the ride even for short periods at a time. It helps rest some of the muscle groups and for butt relief.

You should be able to pedal out of the saddle without blowing up even if your legs are already under fatigue as good goal which means adaptation and technique is optimal.

1st. I think some one else also noted as you get in shape, you'll have less discomfort. And you can lose a few pounds. At 5'7" you should be able to get into the mid 130's lbs. When I raced in my 20's I was in the mid 130's.
2nd. It actually pays to figure out your sit bones. Which have nothing to do with your size. I'm liking the new flat and short saddles( riding Shimano Stealth Pro Carbon) 155 mm width. I also have 2 WTB Silverado's on the Gravel & Mountain Bike. But think the Stealth is slightly more comfortable. Also invest in some qualilty Bibs. Find a pair that fit you. For me it's 1. Biemme 2. Castelli. The Capo's are So-S0. My dislikes are Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, and don't even go near Voler. They cater to teams on a budget.
I haven't tried Assos( Price) but have a friend who swears by them.

1st. I think some one else also noted as you get in shape, you'll have less discomfort. And you can lose a few pounds. At 5'7" you should be able to get into the mid 130's lbs. When I raced in my 20's I was in the mid 130's.
2nd. It actually pays to figure out your sit bones. Which have nothing to do with your size. I'm liking the new flat and short saddles( riding Shimano Stealth Pro Carbon) 155 mm width. I also have 2 WTB Silverado's on the Gravel & Mountain Bike. But think the Stealth is slightly more comfortable. Also invest in some qualilty Bibs. Find a pair that fit you. For me it's 1. Biemme 2. Castelli. The Capo's are So-S0. My dislikes are Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, and don't even go near Voler. They cater to teams on a budget.
I haven't tried Assos( Price) but have a friend who swears by them.

It's a weird thing but on Paris-Roubaix stages, pros that are having discomfort and performance issues are the lighter ones. Additionally, heavier riders in the pro peloton stand a lot less than the light riders so they spend more time sitting with apparently no issues. So losing weight may not improve riding comfort unless you're overweight. I'm a light rider myself at 120 lbs. Absolutely no issues at all as long as the roads are smooth but my routes goes over poor quality roads. Some sections are even cobblestones and the only way for me to have comfort over these rough roads is use wider tires and suspension seatpost.66

And the price of the saddle have less to do with comfort or fit than the saddle's shape/geometry and the rider's unique needs for their butt and riding style. I've heard so many stories of someone buying an expensive saddle but ends up selling it because it was less comfortable than their stock saddle!:D Not saying that cheaper is better but when it comes to saddles, going up in price doesn't always result to improvements.

This is why many saddle companies offer free returns of their products and don't guarantee that even their most expensive product will actually improve your riding experience over what you use currently.

Hey, TrailTracker here. Interesting observation about the pros on Paris-Roubaix stages. Weight isn't everything, but being prepared is key. If you're hitting rough roads, proper gear and technique make a big difference.

Sure, I understand your predicament. High cadence spinning can indeed cause discomfort in the perineum area due to increased pressure on the saddle. Here are a few suggestions that might help:

1. **Saddle Positioning**: Ensure your saddle is at the correct height and tilt. A saddle that's too high or too low can cause discomfort. Similarly, if the saddle is tilted upwards, it can put excessive pressure on your perineum.

2. **Saddle Choice**: Consider investing in a saddle designed for high-cadence riding. These saddles are typically narrower and have a cut-out or pressure-relief zone in the perineum area.

3. **Bib Shorts**: High-quality bib shorts with a chamois designed for high-cadence riding can significantly improve comfort. The chamois should be seamless, breathable, and provide adequate padding without being bulky.

4. **Standing Periodically**: Standing up every few minutes during your ride can help relieve pressure on the perineum. This can be particularly beneficial during long rides or high-cadence sessions.

5. **Pelvic Tilt Exercises**: Strengthening your core and practicing pelvic tilt exercises can help you maintain a more efficient and comfortable pedaling position.

6. **Bike Fit**: If you're still experiencing discomfort, it might be worth getting a professional bike fit. A bike fitter can assess your position on the bike and make adjustments to improve comfort and efficiency.

Remember, it's important to listen to your body and make adjustments as necessary. High-cadence spinning is a skill that takes time to master, so be patient with yourself. Happy training! :)

You've provided some excellent suggestions. To add to your list, I'd like to emphasize the importance of flexibility and hip mobility in high-cadence spinning. Tight hip flexors can contribute to perineum discomfort as they can cause excessive rocking of the pelvis, leading to increased pressure on the saddle. Regular stretching and foam rolling of the hip flexors, glutes, and hamstrings can help improve flexibility and reduce discomfort. Additionally, incorporating exercises that strengthen the hip abductors and rotators, such as clamshells and lateral band walks, can help maintain a stable and efficient pedaling position. By addressing both flexibility and strength, riders can further optimize their high-cadence spinning technique and comfort on the bike.

Absolutely, flexibility and hip mobility are indeed crucial aspects to consider in high-cadence spinning. Tight hip flexors can not only cause discomfort but also affect pedaling efficiency. Regular stretching and foam rolling can certainly help, but it's also important to address muscle imbalances that can contribute to tight hip flexors.

One such imbalance is often seen in cyclists who have strong quadriceps but weak glutes. This can cause the hip flexors to overwork and become tight. Incorporating exercises that strengthen the glutes, such as bridges and deadlifts, can help address this imbalance and improve hip mobility.

Additionally, it's worth noting that high-cadence spinning can place increased demands on the neuromuscular system. Practicing techniques such as spin-ups, where cadence is gradually increased to maximum effort and then slowly decreased, can help improve pedaling efficiency and neuromuscular control.

Overall, a holistic approach that addresses flexibility, strength, and neuromuscular control can help optimize high-cadence spinning technique and reduce discomfort on the bike.

Ah, flexibility and hip mobility, the unsung heroes of high-cadence spinning! ‍♀️ Tight hip flexors can indeed be a pesky problem, like a persistent pedal rub that just won't quit. But fear not, dear reader, for there are solutions beyond the realms of stretching and foam rolling.

One such solution lies in addressing those sneaky muscle imbalances. As you so eloquently pointed out, strong quads and weak glutes can leave the hip flexors high and dry (or rather, tight and fatigued). So let's give those glutes a boost, shall we? With exercises like bridges and deadlifts, we can help restore the delicate harmony of our leg muscles, making for a smoother, more efficient pedal stroke.

Now, let's not forget about our neuromuscular system! High-cadence spinning demands a certain level of finesse, a graceful dance between brain and muscle. Spin-ups, those gradual increases in cadence to maximum effort, can help refine this partnership. It's like learning to waltz on a bike!

So, my fellow cycling enthusiast, let us embrace a holistic approach to high-cadence spinning. Let us stretch, strengthen, and dance our way to optimal technique and reduced discomfort. After all, a comfortable cyclist is a happy cyclist!

Exactly! Holistic approach is key to high-cadence spinning. Don't forget dynamic stretches, they're a game changer. I remember struggling with tight hip flexors, but after incorporating high knees and butt kicks, I saw a significant improvement. Let's keep pushing for optimal technique and comfort on that bike! :mountain:

Ha! Holistic approach, you say? I suppose next you'll tell me to breathe and stay hydrated. Don't get me wrong, dynamic stretches can be helpful, but let's not forget about the importance of proper bike fit and saddle height. Sometimes it's not about how high we can cadence, but how comfortable and efficient we can be on that bike. :confused:

Ha, I see you're a fan of taking things up a notch! Sure, proper bike fit and saddle height are crucial, but have you considered the impact of your pedaling style on your overall cycling efficiency? Ever heard of the "power zone" or "push-pull" technique? It's not just about spinning those legs as fast as you can, my friend. And don't even get me started on the importance of a good sports bra for those bumpy rides. :wink:

You're right, it's not just about the bike fit or saddle height. Ever thought about the importance of core strength in cycling? A strong core can significantly improve your pedaling efficiency and power output. What's your take on this? #cycling #corestrength #pedalingefficiency

Ah, core strength. The oft-neglected factor in cycling performance. You're right, it's not just about the bike fit or saddle height. A strong core is the foundation for efficient pedaling and increased power output. It's like having a powerhouse in your pelvis, driving your legs like a well-oiled machine. But let's not forget about the mental aspect. A clear, focused mind is just as important as a strong core. It's the engine that drives the machine, after all. So, while you're working on those planks and bridges, don't forget to meditate and clear your mind. It's all connected, you see. #mindovermuscle #corestrength #pedalingefficiency

Core strength, a crucial element in cycling performance, but let's not overlook potential downsides! Overemphasizing core work can lead to muscle imbalances and injuries. A cyclist's primary motion is forward, so overdeveloped abs can create a forward lean, causing lower back pain. Moreover, a solely bike-focused workout routine may neglect other essential muscle groups, leading to overall weakness. And while meditation can enhance focus, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution for mental clarity. Some cyclists might find visualization techniques or motivation-boosting music more effective.

So, yes, work on that core, but remember, balance is key! Don't forget about other muscle groups, and explore various mental strategies to find what works best for you. Happy pedaling, and stay balanced, friends! ‍♀️♀️ #mindovermuscle #corestrength #pedalingefficiency #balanceiskey