Effect of excess weight on performance?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Hi, anyone ever heard of any approximate calcuations for the effect of
    excess weight on running performance? I know at least with cycling
    there are some pretty good equations that'll tell you how much faster
    you'd be with a lighter bike/body. Thanks much!

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, anyone ever heard of any approximate calcuations for the effect of
    > excess weight on running performance?

    From Bob Glover's book, "The New Comptetitive Runner's Handbook"

    Men: For the 10K, add approximately 2 1/2 minutes per 10 pounds of extra
    weight. For the marathon, add approximately 10 minutes per 10 pounds.

    Women: For the 10K, add approximately 4 minutes per 10 pounds of extra
    weight. For the marathon, add approximately 20 minutes per 10 pounds.

    --
    Phil M.

  3. Thom

    Thom Guest

    Those number look pretty reasonable, but there are a lot of other
    factors you need to consider. Is the weight gain mostly fat or muscle?
    These numbers probably assume mostly fat.

    If a 150 lb male runs a 35 min 10K, then straps on a 10 lb weight belt,
    he would likely run about 37:30ish just based on power to weight ratio.
    However, if most of that weight is useful (mostly lower body) muscle I
    would guess his time would fare much better.

    You also have to be careful applying rules of thumb for weight loss.
    Would a 160 lb 37:30 10Ker suddenly run 35 flat by losing 10 lbs?
    Probably not, all things being equal.

    Thom

  4. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Thom wrote:

    > You also have to be careful applying rules of thumb for weight loss.
    > Would a 160 lb 37:30 10Ker suddenly run 35 flat by losing 10 lbs?
    > Probably not, all things being equal.

    Absolutely. The OP stated "approximate calcuations for the effect of
    excess weight on running performance" And that's what I gave him -
    approximate.

    --
    Phil M.

  5. try to carrying ten lbs of dead weight . that will slow you down alot
    more than 2.5 minutes. more like 2.5 minutes per mile.

  6. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    wrote:

    > try to carrying ten lbs of dead weight . that will slow you down alot
    > more than 2.5 minutes. more like 2.5 minutes per mile.

    Probably true. My guess is that if you've gained 10 pounds, you haven't
    gained it instantly. You've gotten somewhat used to running with the extra
    weight. That's a little different than carrying 10 pounds of dead weight.

    --
    Phil M.