Effect of numbers and astma for racing level

zwiggelbig

Jan 17, 2011
Hey guys, in just a month I am hanging up my bike for 3 weeks and then I will start winter training. My history is that I rode 1 year with the amateurs, then went to elite but got injury for a full season. Then did alot of endurance in the winter and did first elite year.

So I based the fact that I could maybe reach lse or continental level on a test where I managed to get 5.8 watts pkg and 72 vo2max. Wich is high. But it was just a 1min +25watt test. And in real life I only get 250watt in 20min test. If I do the same calculation (12xwatt/pkg+3.3) I only have 58 vo2max. This could rise if I could get my 20min watts to 300..

But the entire year when I am racing I can never survive the first 15minutes. Yesterday a race. First 3km were a few corners short after eachother so each time to pull hard. I breath normal first and then at some point it goes badly. I start breathing like an astma patient. And its verry heavily true mouth in out in out fast. I drop because of that and it takes like 5 minutes to fully get over that. I rejoin the group and every time we come out of a corner it starts again. I survive 2-3 corners and then the 4th I am done.

I do have induced exercise astma and got an inhaler. ( this time I did had a low intensity warming up ) One race where I did my full warm up routine I hit 25km. But the first 3km they did it easy.

Now is this just training on high intensity? I have only just begun doing this with things like. 10secsprint 10 rest 10 sprint 10 rest. 5m rest. 20sec sprint 20sec rest etc. finish with 5min vo2max. Or is this due to a fact of bad warm up. Even after 30min in the race when I got doubled like 5 times I still had it. Less troubling as in the first 3km but I would still drop on intensity.

Or is it because I have a low vo2max? Btw does my low vo2max also affects the part tht I cant ride 5watts pkg 20min or is it trainable?.

I'd really like to know because me I was planning to do 20-24hours per week in the winter + gymn. Since most club riders do 10-15 half the winter and party and drink I can easily do more..

If my numbers are just to low and I dont have that much talent and its useless to train and be so serious about it well then I could just accept it :)

Thank you verry much!

what kind of injury you got ? it is a good thing for you to be coming into the end of the season, put in the past, take a small break and start the preparations for next year with good faith and motivation, to read your hard data and numbers is good but bear in mind that improvements in condition take time so other than watts and vo2max concentrate in building a good ground base and get a grip on the pack and avoid getting drop too early as your first goal, asthma is another story, how acute is yours ? is it all year long or just in spring ? do you know what provokes it exactly (dust, grass, trees)?

Originally Posted by vspa .

what kind of injury you got ?
it is a good thing for you to be coming into the end of the season, put in the past, take a small break and start the preparations for next year with good faith and motivation, to read your hard data and numbers is good but bear in mind that improvements in condition take time so other than watts and vo2max concentrate in building a good ground base and get a grip on the pack and avoid getting drop too early as your first goal,
asthma is another story, how acute is yours ? is it all year long or just in spring ? do you know what provokes it exactly (dust, grass, trees)?
Thanks for replying. No the injury was last year :).
Yes I understand but I am wondering if my current low vo2 max will be to decisive weither or not I could get to a higher level then club leve with training alot and hard for a few years. Since that 1 minute exercise test gave me 5.8 watt pkg that also gave me the vo2 max of 72. But on bike I onyl hit 4.6 watt pkg wich gives me the low vo2max. So wondering if the reason why I have so much atrouble with the intensity is either may vo2max or lack of high intensity training.

And last question is. If the vo2max is also decisive weither or not I could reach 5-5.5 watts pkg in a few years..

About the Asthma. I have no idea! I usually only have problems with it in the first 5km of a race. 2 classics the first 5km made me get of the bike, lay on the ground and cough alot and my chest realy hurted and had a big burnig feeling inside. It was the worst in the cold classic season. Today I went footballing and even today I had moments where I would breath really heavy true mouth. Never had this in my youth. But maybe the fact that I don't get that in training is that I don't train high enough in heartrate?

zwiggelbig said:
About the Asthma. I have no idea! I usually only have problems with it in the first 5km of a race. 2 classics the first 5km made me get of the bike, lay on the ground and cough alot and my chest realy hurted and had a big burnig feeling inside. It was the worst in the cold classic season. Today I went footballing and even today I had moments where I would breath really heavy true mouth. Never had this in my youth. But maybe the fact that I don't get that in training is that I don't train high enough in heartrate?
sounds bad enough to consider a visit to a physician, he will check you out and run some examinations to determine your condition and determine treatment,