Cycling Training · Public discussion

Effective winter training for an all around athlete

Started by ejglows · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,099 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
20 January 2005
Last activity
20 January 2005
Original author
ejglows
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,099
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am posting this not to be lambasted...I want to be an all around cyclists and this winter I have started a new program integrating weight training into my regime. I want to cycle fast, but I dont want twiggy little arms either.
    Basic stats (as of today)
    Height 5`2"
    Weight 124lbs
    BF% about 20%
    Female

    Nutrition:
    Cycle days - 2000 cals
    Weight days -1500 cals
    vegetarian (believe me that is a lot of fiber)

    Routine:
    W/F/Sun - Upper body strength training only, curcuits and intervals on the treadmill
    T/TH - 2 hour rides in Zone 4 (one day hills, another day rolling hills avg 25km/hr 50km total)
    Sat- Long ride up to 4+ hours
    Mon - Remote intervals (sports 1 hour, news 1 hour repeat until sleepy)

    Your opinions? I posted before about a race I was in last year that kicked my ass...and this year (if I have the gall to enter it) I want to be in the top 3. (search Shuzenji circuit)

    Thanks for the input...
    *hanging myself out ....
    e

    :eek:

  2. ejglows said:

    I am posting this not to be lambasted...I want to be an all around cyclists and this winter I have started a new program integrating weight training into my regime. I want to cycle fast, but I dont want twiggy little arms either.
    Basic stats (as of today)
    Height 5`2"
    Weight 124lbs
    BF% about 20%
    Female

    Nutrition:
    Cycle days - 2000 cals
    Weight days -1500 cals
    vegetarian (believe me that is a lot of fiber)

    Routine:
    W/F/Sun - Upper body strength training only, curcuits and intervals on the treadmill
    T/TH - 2 hour rides in Zone 4 (one day hills, another day rolling hills avg 25km/hr 50km total)
    Sat- Long ride up to 4+ hours
    Mon - Remote intervals (sports 1 hour, news 1 hour repeat until sleepy)

    Your opinions? I posted before about a race I was in last year that kicked my ass...and this year (if I have the gall to enter it) I want to be in the top 3. (search Shuzenji circuit)

    Thanks for the input...
    *hanging myself out ....
    e

    :eek:

    if you want bigger arms/bigger upper body muscles then you need to lift heavy weights with few repeats to increase muscle cross sectional area.

    On the other hand if you want to race well, you tend to want to minimise your mass so that you have less weight to take uphill. you may also need to do more on the bike training (depending on the level of the race and your fitness level). you'd also want to avoid any lower body weights as this will be detrimental to endurance cycling performance.

    the fibre is good for you: i'm veggie too and eat up to ~ 3500 kcal/day.

    Ric

  3. ejglows said:


    Nutrition:
    Cycle days - 2000 cals
    Weight days -1500 cals
    vegetarian (believe me that is a lot of fiber)

    Routine:
    W/F/Sun - Upper body strength training only, curcuits and intervals on the treadmill
    T/TH - 2 hour rides in Zone 4 (one day hills, another day rolling hills avg 25km/hr 50km total)
    Sat- Long ride up to 4+ hours
    Mon - Remote intervals (sports 1 hour, news 1 hour repeat until sleepy)

    You might want to watch the amount of calories you consume. Judging from, for example your saturday ride, you could get into serious deficiency. On a 'normal' 3½ - 4 hours ride I expend between 2400 and 2900 calories, putting me at a combined 5000 calories daily intake of energy.

    If you'r looking to drop weight, in my experience and from the recommendation I've gotten from coaches, you don't want to exceed an energi deficiency of 500 cal/day over any extended period of time. I speak from personal experience, and can testify that trying to loose weight fast and training hard wan't work, you end up loosing ability to train hard and progression will suffer thus!

    trainright.compage.asp
    trainright.compage.asp

  4. Thank you Ric and Toa.

    Firstly, let me say that my upper body goals are certainly not to become the worlds strongest woman. Shape, definition, and the ability to hurl small students around is all I need. I am thinking of adding an hour of on-the-bike intervals on the weight days instead of intervals on the treadmill. All comes down to time and how much I dont have. Oh yes...no lower body weights.

    Secondly, I made a mistake by not adding that on days when I have my 3-4 hour cycles I eat anything I can get my hands on. I roughly end up with 3-4500 calories on those days. The fact is, on those days I dont really count. I just eat. Of course taking into consideration certian glycogen windows and pre-during-post nutrition.

    Thanks for the advice and the articles. I am always looking for more info as I cannot afford a coach...and I am trying not to `shanghai` Ric....

    keep -em comin...

    e 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.