Effects of car impact on rear wheel?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Olasnah, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

The biggest thing I worry about while riding is being hit from behind by a car. I'm curious though, what actually happens to rider and bike once hit? I know it depends upon speed and other factors like the type of vehicle, but is the rider typically launched through the air, or is the impact strong enough to simply run the whole package over?

Tags:

2. davidbod

davidbod New Member

I was hit from behind in my early twenties. I was doing about 20 mph and the truck was maybe doing 45 mph. I was launched and did a big flip going over the handle bars landing on my head. I tucked my head and landed in a big summersault. I had a very sore neck, lots of road rash and broke a bone in my thumb. The rear rim broke and partially tacoed which must have absorbed a lot of the impact. The rest of the bike was not harmed other than scratches.

3. ProMax

ProMax New Member

My friend had his rear wheel reversed over by a car. And it buckled it good and proper. It was a twisted mangled hunk of metal. Otherwise the bike wasnt harmed other than the wheel.

4. William Henry

William Henry New Member

If your rear wheel got hit by a wheel then you are not going to be able to get that wheel back in true because the brute force probably took out the beeds inside of the rim

ITS SCREWED

5. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

I would think just the rim would buckle and the frame would be safe (depends on speed of course!!). However, I wouldn't be worried about your wheel. Be worried about yourself. Insurance and you sueing their ass would cover the cost of the wheel.

6. 65cmFixie

65cmFixie New Member

I was hit from behind on a road just north of Dallas TX in the summer of 2002. I was tooling along at about 18mph when a Ford truck hit me from behind. It was 7:30 AM and I was heading east - into the sun. I suppose the sun was in the driver's eyes also. Or maybe he was drinking coffee and talking on his cell phone. I figure the trunk was going about 45mph. I was thrown forward 50 or 60 feet. Lots of flipping, rolling & sliding - a compression fracture of the T12 vertibra, a pulverized helmet and plenty of road rash. My Rolf Vector rear rim was broken into 3 pieces. A seat stay on my Giant TCR frame was bent badly enough to trash the frame completely.

I was back on a bike within 4 months, but it took well over a year to recover 95%. I had a surgery on my back - balloon kyphoplasty - that was an absolute miracle. My wife was so freaked out that she didn't want me to ever get on a bike again. But she knows how much I love it, so I have new rules of engagement: No riding alone unless on closed trail away from all cars.

7. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Mostly tossed in the air , speed deciding if you hit the windscreen with your head or legs or your back . It would need to be a big lorry to be able to drive over you . Our club has lost two members in the last few years , one hit in the back the other a head on ; cars drive faster here - max limit 120 kph but the rules get broken a lot so 170 - 200 is not that rare .

Either way your going to lose and it´s going to hurt - hope your medical insurance is up to date : here in Spain you can buy medical / legal insurance by joining your provincial federation ( it´s included in your dues ) .

8. mattt

mattt New Member

Just yesterday (after having read this article for the first time) I was hit from the rear by a truck. The impact the box truck had on my rear wheel forced my bike and I straight into the pavement. Fortunately for me I was hit with the righter part of his bumper, as opposed to dead on middle, so I was able to escape without being run over. My right knee hit the pavement first, and then my right foot was ripped out of my shoe (Sidi Genius 5) while it was still clipped in to my Speedplay X/2 pedals. The velcro straps and arch compression strap were still in tact, but the back of my shoe was ripped vertically from the top of the shoe to halfway down the heel. As for my left leg, something banged into my quadriceps, bruising it badly, and the Speedplay cleat of my left shoe was torn off of the rest of my shoe, leaving only the inner mounting screws. Thankfully it was able to come off that way or I might have had another sprained ankle, or worse. I also have some bumps and bruises on my shins, but nothing too serious, I don't think.

The ER didn't spend too much time checking me out, just told me that I should go to an orthopedic doctor within the next week to make sure there's nothing else wrong with me. My right knee is swollen and warm so I think there might be some fluid or blood in it possibly, but we'll see. After my legs were liberated from my bike, my bike was chewed up and spit out by the rear wheels, which I am glad for that I was not.

My bike lay on the ground torn, in pieces, a complete wreck. Even my Polar s520 heart rate monitor was ripped off and destroyed in some way or another. But today, I am glad to be alive, as it could have been much worse. I have a soft cast on my right (sprained) ankle and I'm on crutches until I can walk without them. I was going to participate in my first race two Saturdays from now which is the sad part, but hopefully in a few weeks I can put a start on the season.

9. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Yeah- I got hit in the rear wheel by my wife at about 20mph (she was on a bike too). My experience was that although i was going in technically a different direction then she was, I immediately became a trajectory in the direction she was traveling...oh well, very little blood so I forgave her.
    Anyway- to answer the question, your going to fall off your bike

10. mattt

mattt New Member

So I finally went to an orthopedic doctor this week's Tuesday. After the doctor had checked me out he concluded that I have a sprained (right) ankle, a badly bruised knee, and some other various bruising. He gave me a removable air cast, a prescription for hydrocodone, and told me to come back in 3-4 weeks, sooner if I'm not feeling better. Since then I've been able to put some more weight on my right (sprained) ankle and even walk on it, albeit quite slowly. I now cannot fully extend my left leg; I think the problem is in my lateral collateral ligament or my hamstring ligament but I really don't know. If it keeps up then I'm going to go back to the doctor and see what's up. Races were supposed to start this weekend, but thankfully they were cancelled due to bad conditions in the park. Hopefully I will be lining up for my first race in less than a month, on hopefully a new bike.