Effects on the rider using smaller/larger bikes

roger89

May 29, 2005
Hello,

Just want to know what are the effects on a rider using smaller or larger frame size than the actual size for them?

roger89 said:
Hello,

Just want to know what are the effects on a rider using smaller or larger frame size than the actual size for them?
I recently went from a larger bike to a smaller WSD one. The main change was the length of the top tube and the effect was instant and profound for me. I am much more comfortable and faster too. Some of this may have to do with the weight of the bike, about 5 lbs less for the new bike, but I think that at least some of it comes from no longer being stretched out. I am no longer putting a lot of energy into the handlebars of the bike.

Don't know about the small frames as I'm always used them coz I'm a shortarse. My current one is a sixteen incher but it's got a stupidly long wheelbase. As for larger frames, if you got one that was too big for you and you slipped off the saddle, I can think of one downside, you could kiss your gonads bye bye. :D

Bill.

roger89 said:
Hello,

I've never thought about frame size having adverse or beneficial effects on a rider. How do you actually determine the optimal frame size in the first place. I'm 1.86m tall and I currently have a 58cm frame. How would I know if this is the right size bike for me? :confused:

Stevedvg said:
I've never thought about frame size having adverse or beneficial effects on a rider. How do you actually determine the optimal frame size in the first place. I'm 1.86m tall and I currently have a 58cm frame. How would I know if this is the right size bike for me? :confused:
Optimal size for some is the one one would most comfortably riding on. Or probably u could use a fit calculator... maybe.

Stevedvg said:

In my opinion the best way to determine optimal frame size is to develop a good relationship with a bike shop that has a person who knows about how to fit a person properlly. This bears more explanation: there is a science to fit. Our bodies have leg length, lower to upper leg ratios, body length, arm length, etc., different than almost anyone else. How efficient we can pedal depends on being properly aligned with the pedals when we are sitting on the seat. Where our hands will fall naturally and comfortably depends on core body strength as well as torso and leg length and those characterisitcs determine top tube and stem length as well as stem rise and handlebar position. Stand over height is overblown. Someone will say you should check with bare feet, but who ever rides their bike barefoot? Any bike shoes or stret shoes will give you an inch or so of height and besides many bikes now have sloping top tubes that make standover easier in a larger frame size. Another factor is riding style for a racer wants more stretch and tucked position on the bike than a long-distance rider. How agressively we ride, the places we ride, etc., all affect bike fit as far as handling is concerned (angles and such and rake offset).

You don't have to learn all that stuff. You just have to learn to trust someone who knows to measure you up to properly fit you. A good bike shop will make sure you properly fit on your bike. A bad bike shop will sell you anything they can without regard to it being suitable or not. You have to be able to tell the difference.