Efficient Hydration and staying cool

G

I find that when I try to hydrate before a ride, it goes right through me and I am dying of thirst 3 or 4 miles into my ride. I know that my body is probably not used to needing to conserve water and I wonder if this has to do with it. I mean, when I drink water, I think my body says, "She won't need all of this" and immediately flushes it out, then I am dying later. Is this a factor of just getting my body conditioned to be a more efficient hydrator and not flush it out immediately, or are there any tricks?

Also, any suggestions for cool materials to look for in preparation for training in our summer (90 to 95 degree average)?

You should take sips from your water bottle at regular intervals while riding. Even if you don't feel thirsty, drink! Thirst means that it's too late. Train yourself to take a few sips every 10 to 15 minutes while you are on the road.

I have posted this article before, but here it is again - Click here

How much do you drink before the ride and when do you drink it? The reason I ask is that drinking one glass of water immediately before the ride probably won't have a desired effect. I generally deal with hydration by drinking plenty of water even when I'm not riding. I have been known to go through as much as 10-12 litres of the stuff in a day (although 2-5 is usually enough if you're not in a Queensland summer).

I just don't find trying to drink all of the water at the last minute to be particularly effective.

Generally, when I know I am going to ride that day, I try to spend the day taking in water. So that I am well hydrated by the evening, which is when I usually ride.

I guess the idea is to not try to hydrate all at once and to take a little at a time regularly.

I just wondered mostly if it was a factor of conditioning. My theory being that, if I train more, my body will learn to use the water I put into it more efficiently. Since, right now, my body isn't totally used to me needing that much water, it sort of flushes it out thinking it won't need it. But, maybe later, it will make better use of it as I train more. Does that make sense, or am I way off base here? I am trying to get a good balance of being hydrated, that doesn't send me running to the restroom every 30 minutes. or leave me dying of thirst. That is all. I just wondered if I my body would learn to use its water more efficiently if I trained more.

If so, then there is no trick or tactic for it...I will just have to wait and try to be smart while my body figures things out.

If you're properly hydrated, your urine would be clear. It it's yellow/amber, then you are not drinking enough fluids.

I feel compelled to write here. You have 90-95 deg summers, mine are at least 112 deg. (measured in the shade) Due to my schedule I do most of my training in the heat of the day. Typically, the more fit a person is, the more they sweat. (when I was speedskating I would break a sweat at 50 deg F from being in a cold rink all the time!) The athlete's body becomes used to trying to maintain a cool core temperature...so chances are your body won't become more efficient with hydration. If anything, you may need even more. I drink about 1-1.5 bottles (I guess they are 24oz) each hour in the summer and route my rides so I pass a quick mart where I can refill halfway. As far as pre-hydration, I drink plenty throughout the day but never expect that to last even 15 minutes into a ride. If you are just drinking water, try an exercise drink...something good like extran or cytomax (Australian equivalent?) these have electrolytes that can help the muscles from cramping and allow the fluid to be absorbed a little more efficiently than plain water.

If you drink a lot of exercise drinks, make sure to flush your system with a large bottle of plain water. There is a lot of glucose in the drinks and the extra water helps keep the kidneys clean.

also, I freeze one bottle before I ride so that it isn't hot by the time I get to it!

:)

Hydrating should be a part of your daily routine. I do however drink a energy/sports drink before a race/long ride (about 2-3 hours before) and then again about 10-15 minutes before the ride. As soon as the ride starts, I usually take a sip of water, and from there onwards I try to sip every 15-20 minutes. You should rather be glad of going to the loo so often as this means that your body is using the H2O that it needs.

Funny you mention Cytomax, Crankin!

I had a friend that went to see this sport nutritionist talk. He said that Gatorade is the absolute worst. Yet, when you go to races, what do they hand out? He said that Gatorade can tear up your gastrointestinal system and that it is very harsh. (No wonder I always felt like puking when I drink it while exercising) He suggested Cytomax as an alternative. Is this available at GNCs, or regular stores? Or, do you find yourself having to order it? Personally, (in my virgin-ness) I hadn't even heard of Cytomax until this morning. Now, all of a sudden, I have heard of it 3 times today alone.

And, I never use the full concentration suggested on the containers. I generally water it down quite a bit.

Carbohydrate drinks should be consumed at a strength of 7% (i.e. 70g of carbohydrate per liter of water), this can be diluted further when there is a risk of dehydration (e.g. when its hot).

Drinking carbohydrate drinks at a higher concentration creates a concentration gradient accross your intestine and the water ends up moving the wrong way by osmosis (i.e. out rather than into your blood). This is what often causes stomache aches and frequent toilet stops.

Persistence...you should be able to find cytomax in a GOOD cycling or triathlete shop. But if not, search on-line there are several sources for it. See if you can find someone who uses it first, I know several people who get bad intestinal cramps from it...it may be the herbal supplements. In fact, I have a 1/2 can that I tried before I became sponsored by Extran (another good drink-mix). I think you said you are from Austin, TX. I could send it to you. It is not cheap and I'd hate for you to buy something that didn't work for you. If you are interested, my email is [email protected]

There is also a great after workout drink called Endurox. It has a 4 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein and helps in muscle recovery after a workout. I use it because I cannot eat (in real food) the amount of carbs I need immediately after a workout without cramping.

Hope your training is going well.
:)