EFTA Spring Boogie - Harrisville, Rhode Island. 4/27/03 ?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by D T W .../\\..., Apr 19, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I'm planning on doing this race and I've never seen the course. Can you give me some hints. muddy?
    >>sandy? pine roots?
    >>
    >>All of the above :) http://www.efta.com/schedules/races2003.php3
    >

    > Go ride a remote trail that will not be jammed with a desperate herd instead.

    It's a social thing, you wouldn't understand. ;-0

    It's also helping to fund the purchase of a local plot of land under threat of the developers
    bulldozer: http://www.nemba.org/nembaevents/vietnamlandpurchase.html

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>I'm planning on doing this race and I've never seen the course. Can you give me some hints.
    > >>muddy? sandy? pine roots?
    > >>
    > >>All of the above :) http://www.efta.com/schedules/races2003.php3
    > >

    > > Go ride a remote trail that will not be jammed with a desperate herd instead.
    >
    > It's a social thing, you wouldn't understand. ;-0

    There is truth to that, so the smiley was not needed. I don't understand the herd mentality at all.
    I understand the pack and lone wolf mentalities, which are good for mountain biking and the soul.
    The herd only seems to be a "let's be seen" and making of a scene to be "cool" or part of something
    which many who pretend to be at these functions are not. They only make for good people watching at
    best, as shown by Pete's various photojournalistic accounts of these functions.

    > It's also helping to fund the purchase of a local plot of land under threat of the developers
    > bulldozer: http://www.nemba.org/nembaevents/vietnamlandpurchase.html

    There are far better ways of raising money than ruining a trail with a thundering herd for the sake
    of another trail or trail system. It seems very hypocritical and counterproductive.

    JD

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    JD wrote:
    >>It's also helping to fund the purchase of a local plot of land under threat of the developers
    >>bulldozer: http://www.nemba.org/nembaevents/vietnamlandpurchase.html

    > There are far better ways of raising money than ruining a trail with a thundering herd for the
    > sake of another trail or trail system. It seems very hypocritical and counterproductive.

    While it may seem that way to someone not from the area, the EFTA & NEMBA folks are quite aware of
    what is necessary to pull off an event like this and NOT damage a trail. In fact the trails this and
    other herd'ish events will be held on are the recipient of hundreds of man-hours in unseen (to the
    untrained eye) trail-hardening and maintenecne, to make these trials sustainable and even suitible
    for cattle drives of this nature....

    Also, at this time of year many of our trais are suffering from under-use.... They NEED traffic
    to help break up the leaves, and duff, etc. and help get the trail-bed in shape for the
    upcoming season.

    I remember when we completed a trail called Hemlock Loop at FOMBA.. for several months it was really
    quite soft and loamy. We routed 300+ riders through it on the Turkey Burner that year to help "burn
    it in". I rode it the following week and the trail was totally sweet.

    Sometimes whne properly managed, a herd is a GOOD thing!

    --
    John G. "preaching to the chior"

  6. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm planning on doing this race and I've never seen the course. Can you give me some hints. muddy?
    > sandy? pine roots?
    >
    > All of the above :) http://www.efta.com/schedules/races2003.php3

    It is all of the above. I've done this race the past two years and both times were miserable fun.
    Expect roots, mud, fragments from clay pidgeons, spent shotgun shell casings, some sand, and a very
    long, deep water crossing with a strong current...twice (if you're a novice, more otherwise). Its a
    hardtail course but for the first real race of the season, its pretty tough. The weather is not
    supposed to cooperate either. Good luck.

    [email protected]

  7. Tj

    Tj Guest

    Holly Sh*t. Thats what I hate about areas that get a lot of rain. The trails are all green, and
    overgrown. The first rider out is usually spider patrol. You get beat up by underbrush. And it can
    handle 100X the traffic that our trails here can handle. The down side to all this is that there
    are so many trees they rob you of the views that would be there with out all the trees. I say lets
    clear cut ;-)

    TJ