egg beater cranks

whalen83

May 23, 2004
My friend has a set of Crank Brothers egg beater cranks. i am looking for a set and am wondering if anyone else has some of these and whether or not these are good. i am an avid road bike enthusist.

Originally posted by whalen83
My friend has a set of Crank Brothers egg beater cranks. i am looking for a set and am wondering if anyone else has some of these and whether or not these are good. i am an avid road bike enthusist.
Lots of folks swear by them. They were definitely conceived as a MTB pedal, which matters to some road riders, less to others. The general philosophy behind differentiating road and MTB pedals lies in the restrictions tied to the latter: MTB pedals have got to be engineered with a resistence to dirt in mind, as well as with smaller cleats to accomodate the studs found on MTB shoes. For some manufacturers, increased durability is a factor as well.The Egg Beater is a good example of a succesful MTB design -- it's spartan, small, tough, and extraordinarily simple. Mud stands little chance.

Generally speaking, a dedicated road pedal pays less attention to these limitations and focuses more on performance and ergonomics -- key points may include smoother engaging/disengaging action, a larger, more stable total platform, more generous float, and lower weight. Riders like myself who spend most (or all) or their time on the road find the emphasis on these elements hard to give up.

Of course, many many MANY road cyclists appreciate the walkabilty and dirt-resistance of MTB pedals, and find that they're more than adequate.

Lokstah, thanks! BTW, if I remember right, you just got a new Klein. Well, I work at MIT and I just learned that Gary Klein did his original work on framemaking at MIT (from the article above). Pretty sweet!

Unfortunately, I haven't any students working on next generation frame building yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open.