Egg beaters a pain to clean

Michel Boucher

Guest
I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal pans
and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the
pan surface as it was cooking.

It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.

So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg- beaters or do you just not
bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

In article <[email protected]>,
Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal
> pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
> the pan surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg- beaters or do you just not
> bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?

Low fat is passe'... :) Just cook real eggs.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

"Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal
> pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
> the pan surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg- beaters or do you just not
> bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?

I think that Egg Beaters is just egg whites with some oil and coloring added. In any case, I would
recommend that you use a non-stick pan. That is about the only use I have for non-stick pans. You
shouldn't have to use much, if any, oil if you use a non-stick pan. I also helps to heat the pan,
add the oil and let it heat, then add the egg. I even do that in non-stick cookware. That should
totally eliminate sticking.

Katra <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Michel Boucher
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal
>> pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right
>> on the pan surface as it was cooking.
>>
>> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>>
>> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg- beaters or do you just not
>> bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?
>
> Low fat is passe'... :) Just cook real eggs.

I'm afraid it's not that simple as a question of taste. 95% stenosis tells the tale.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

Try doing them in the microwave using olive oil spray as a non stick device. For this I just use a
glass pie plate and I do the same thing when making egg salad from the beaters. I also use the
plastic pans for the microwave for prep omelets etc. Matt

From: [email protected] (Michel=A0Boucher) I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature)
twice in two separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a
residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan surface as it was cooking. It took quite a
long time to get the stuff off. So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?-------------------------
I only eat egg beaters because I am a diabetic. I use a professional egg pan I bought from
restaurant where my b/f works. Lightly spray pan with Pam butter and scramble beaters on very low
heat. Never had problem you stated.

On 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal pans
>and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the
>pan surface as it was cooking.

Why EggBeaters? I did a little casual research for an cholesterol-challanged friend and found that
simply buying eggs and discarding the yolks was far cheaper (just noticed the price of eggs has
risen astronomically, so this may no longer be true.) *Her* justification was separation anxiety, so
I gave her an egg-separator gadget. :)

Can't help with residue question. My only use of egg whites is whipped and folded into something. Do
you get the same effect with regular ol' egg-whites? The EggBeater site claims "no artificial
flavors or preservatives" but does add beta carotene for color and unspecified "vitamins" usually
supplied by the yolk.

Katra Wrote:

> Low fat is passe'... :) Just cook real eggs.
>
> K.

It may be passe` for you but not for others.

In article <[email protected]>,
Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Michel Boucher <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal
> >> pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right
> >> on the pan surface as it was cooking.
> >>
> >> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
> >>
> >> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg- beaters or do you just not
> >> bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?
> >
> > Low fat is passe'... :) Just cook real eggs.
>
> I'm afraid it's not that simple as a question of taste. 95% stenosis tells the tale.

Eggs ain't at fault. Serum tryglicerides are raised more by sugar and starches, not fat.

Go on the Atkins diet.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

Why would one cook egg beaters? What am I missing here?

il 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher ha scritto:

> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal
> pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
> the pan surface as it was cooking.
[snip]
--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

x-no-archive: yes

Michel Boucher wrote:

>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal pans
>and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the
>pan surface as it was cooking.
>
>It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
>So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg- beaters or do you just not
>bother with them because they give the same result no matter what?

I've noticed this problem a couple of times. I mixed them with ricotta for a frittatta once and
ended up with something like linoleum on the bottom of the pan. There must be something about the
composition of that product.

Naomi D.

Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two separate properly oiled metal
>>pans and both times, the bottom became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
>>the pan surface as it was cooking.
>
> Why EggBeaters?

Why not? I am testing various products at this point. I can usually get either 80% cholesterol
reduced eggs or egg whites only (I also do eat regular eggs once or twice a week...always have), but
that one time, the store I went to only had egg beaters. I have discovered this drawback to cooking
them. I am asking whether others have had this experience. Sheesh...between you and Katra, I get no
end of kvetching.

--

Katra wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Katra Wrote:
> > >
> > > Low fat is passe'... :) Just cook real eggs.
> > >
> > > K.
> >
> > It may be passe` for you but not for others.
> >

> I'ts passe' for anyone that is up to date on the low fat low cholesterol diet myth....... ;-)

And replaced it with another stupid myth. Atkins is the diet flavor of the moment, in a couple years
it'll be back to the core group of fanatics. There's little or no evidence to back up their wild
claims, and in fact one of the early Atkins guys has come out and said people have badly
misinterpreted the original Atkins plan.

Balance, moderation and sense.

Brian Rodenborn

il Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:44:15 GMT, "Vox Humana" ha scritto:

> As I explained in my post, Egg Beaters is a brand of egg alternative that consists of egg whites,
> oil, and food coloring. The don't have any cholesterol and they are pasteurized.
> http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp

So I finally figured ... 'Egg beaters' here (NZ) are those hand machines for beating eggs. Nowadays
I use an even more 'low tech' fork or whisk. Easier to wash afterwards.

I've given up trying to second guess what the researchers will say about cholesterol and food. Once
it was no eggs whatsoever, now a couple a week are ok. And anyway, for women, the diet approach to
lowering cholsterol is not as useful. The body will insist on making its own...:)

BTW My non-stick pan instructions and cookbooks all recommend a light coating of oil. And never
using soap/detergent to clean them with seems to help maintain the ease of cleaning with just
hot water.

--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

"Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> il Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:44:15 GMT, "Vox Humana" ha scritto:
> >
> > As I explained in my post, Egg Beaters is a brand of egg alternative
that
> > consists of egg whites, oil, and food coloring. The don't have any cholesterol and they are
> > pasteurized. http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp
>
> So I finally figured ... 'Egg beaters' here (NZ) are those hand machines for beating eggs.
> Nowadays I use an even more 'low tech' fork or whisk. Easier to wash afterwards.
>
> I've given up trying to second guess what the researchers will say about cholesterol and food.
> Once it was no eggs whatsoever, now a couple a week are ok. And anyway, for women, the diet
> approach to lowering cholsterol is not as useful. The body will insist on making its own...:)
>
> BTW My non-stick pan instructions and cookbooks all recommend a light coating of oil. And never
> using soap/detergent to clean them with seems to help maintain the ease of cleaning with just
> hot water.

Dupont says that their non-stick coatings are dishwasher safe and I nearly always put mine in the
dishwasher. I agree that a very thin coating of oil helps, but I don't like the non-stick sprays
like PAM. The sprays seem to cause a sticky film in the long run.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:58:43 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Try doing them in the microwave using olive oil spray as a non stick device. For this I just use a
>glass pie plate and I do the same thing when making egg salad from the beaters.

Why would use use Egg Beaters for making egg salad? You could just remove the yolks and have a
much better end-product. Egg Beaters are simply egg whites with food coloring, at more than twice
the price.

-sw

"Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Katra wrote:
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > wrote:

> > > It may be passe` for you but not for others.
> > >

> > I'ts passe' for anyone that is up to date on the low fat low cholesterol diet myth....... ;-)
>

> And replaced it with another stupid myth. Atkins is the diet flavor of the moment, in a couple
> years it'll be back to the core group of fanatics. There's little or no evidence to back up their
> wild claims, and in fact one of the early Atkins guys has come out and said people have badly
> misinterpreted the original Atkins plan.

Completely false - there is in fact a lot of evidence to back up the Atkins diet, both its
effectiveness and its safety. Also, if some people misinterpret the diet - which is certainly true -
that is not a reflection on the diet, is it? The two main misrepresentations that I have seen are
that you can eat as much as you want of any food as long as it is low in carbs, and that vegetables
are minimized. Both are completely false. Unfortunately there are some people who are anti-Atkins
for psychological reasons. Grow up!

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:

> Unfortunately there are some people who are anti-Atkins for psychological reasons. Grow up!

Or religious reasons. Probably doesn't go over big among practicing hindus or sikhs. I happen to not
like meat very much. It's not moral or psychological. It's a question of taste. I do however eat any
type of vegetable or fruit.

You could stop thinking that reasons not to eat meat are "fabricated" rather than being as varied as
the reasons for liking or not liking any type of food.