Egg Beaters vs Speed Plays

juvel01

Jul 12, 2005
I'm still spec-ing (not a real word, I know) my road build and I'm looking at pedals. I had the Candy Tis on my mtn bike but for some reason I couldnt get into them easily. I'm looking at the Egg Beaters and the Speed Plays. Has anyone used both of them and, if so, what did you notice were the big differences? I have very small feet if that makes a difference (size 34 euro). Also, I do have a bad left ankle so being able to get out of them without too much torque and twist is necessary.

juvel01 said:
I'm still spec-ing (not a real word, I know) my road build and I'm looking at pedals. I had the Candy Tis on my mtn bike but for some reason I couldnt get into them easily. I'm looking at the Egg Beaters and the Speed Plays. Has anyone used both of them and, if so, what did you notice were the big differences? I have very small feet if that makes a difference (size 34 euro). Also, I do have a bad left ankle so being able to get out of them without too much torque and twist is necessary.

Wow, this is really quite the statement. Thanks! Do you mind if I ask what kind of a dually you purchased to replace your hardtail? I'm curious as to whether or not it was a cross-country dually with limited suspension or something a little plusher like all-mountain.

I've only used the Egg Beaters for one ride on a friend's bike so I'm no expert there, but I own Speedplay X2s for road and Frogs for mtn so I can tell you some primary points.

1) They're both easy to get into.
2) Speedplays have no centering spring action which is great for limiting torque on joints although some people find it hard to get used to free floating pedals.
3) Speedplays involve zero effort torque to get out. You simply turn past a certain point and your free. If you don't turn past a certain point your foot isn't coming out. This is great for sprinting but not so great in a crash.
4) Egg beaters are better in the mud.

Postie said:
Wow, this is really quite the statement. Thanks! Do you mind if I ask what kind of a dually you purchased to replace your hardtail? I'm curious as to whether or not it was a cross-country dually with limited suspension or something a little plusher like all-mountain.
Not sure what you mean by this??? I havent replaced my hard tail, its the only one I have.

Thanks for the input on the Speed Plays, it's very helpful!

juvel01 said:
Not sure what you mean by this??? I havent replaced my hard tail, its the only one I have.

That's me owning you an apology. I had posted that first paragraph for something completely different and I had it copied into my computer's clipboard. I guess I must have hit the control for "paste" by mistake when writing to you.

I'm sorry about the confusion.

Heh heh, no problem on the confusion. I must admit thought my husband just upgrded one of his hard tails to full susp and we were both racking our brains trying to figure out if he knew you! :D