EGG BEATERS

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andrew, May 5, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hey crank bros riders out there, i need your expertise here

    How can i know if my beaters need to be rebuilt, Im getting an annoying creackfest when pounding on
    them but cannot say if it comes from the bb or the pedals, cranks are tight, pedals feel normal but
    there's something rotten down there. any ideas.

    Tags:

  2. "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey crank bros riders out there, i need your expertise here
    >
    > How can i know if my beaters need to be rebuilt, Im getting an annoying creackfest when pounding
    > on them but cannot say if it comes from the bb or the pedals, cranks are tight, pedals feel normal
    > but there's something rotten down there. any ideas.

    Pop the rubber dust cap out of the end and remove the allen head cap screw. The body will slide off
    of a spindle. Clean the parts with WD40, or whatever, grease the spindle and re-install. CB has a
    $15 rebuild kit.

    http://www.crankbrothers.com/

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountainbiking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  3. Isolate each component.

    Spin the pedals and if they feel at all rough or notchy, chances are they need some lovin'. Also
    check to see if they are at all loose. It's also a good idea to make sure they are seated intot he
    crank, and have plenty of grease on the threads.

    Remove the chain from the front rings and spin the bb. again check for roughness, notchiness or side
    to side play.

    Give the frame look see too. I had a persistent creak on my XLM that turned out to be a crack in the
    weld above the bottom bracket.

    Andrew wrote:

    >Hey crank bros riders out there, i need your expertise here
    >
    >How can i know if my beaters need to be rebuilt, Im getting an annoying creackfest when pounding on
    >them but cannot say if it comes from the bb or the pedals, cranks are tight, pedals feel normal but
    >there's something rotten down there. any ideas.

  4. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Andrew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]ink.net...
    > Hey crank bros riders out there, i need your expertise here
    >
    > How can i know if my beaters need to be rebuilt, Im getting an annoying creackfest when pounding
    > on them but cannot say if it comes from the bb or the pedals, cranks are tight, pedals feel normal
    > but there's something rotten down there. any ideas.

    just buy the ne w look version built under licence by look with cartridge bearings.

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    David Bailey wrote:
    > Andrew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hey crank bros riders out there, i need your expertise here
    >>
    >>How can i know if my beaters need to be rebuilt, Im getting an annoying creackfest when pounding
    >>on them but cannot say if it comes from the bb or the pedals, cranks are tight, pedals feel normal
    >>but there's something rotten down there. any ideas.
    >>

    > just buy the ne w look version built under licence by look with cartridge bearings.

    Yea, wish that I'd have known this 3 months ago when I bought mine. There's already slop in the
    nylon sleeve -- I can rock the pedals up and down. But, they don't seem to be taking on water or
    grit so I haven't replaced the bearings yet.

    I hate to throw something that expensive to the side and replace it with something even more
    expensive when it's still working, but I may do just that if I'm going to be replacing bearings
    every 3 or 4 months <sigh>.

    David