Egg Rolls Anyone???

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Don And Cathy S, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Does anybody have a good recipe for Egg Rolls? I LOVE Chinese food and am collecting some healthier
    recipes. NEED an egg roll that doesnt use the whole points budget!!

    Thanks, Cathy

    Tags:

  2. I go to the market and buy chungs egg rolls, about 2 points each if you bake
    instead of fry, Lee
    Don and Cathy Sena <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody have a good recipe for Egg Rolls? I LOVE Chinese food and am collecting some
    > healthier recipes. NEED an egg roll that doesnt use the whole points budget!!
    >
    > Thanks, Cathy

  3. Spoons

    Spoons Guest

    Here's a egg roll recipe I found. I too make my own vegetable spring rolls & my family loves them. t

    Take care, SPOONS 178/156/140 WW's Goal 158, Lifetime Jan 2004 Personal Goal 140, Lost: 22 lbs My
    photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

    Bean & Vegetable Egg Rolls

    2 POINTS per serving

    Ingredients: 1 tablespoon sesame seeds 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil 2 green onions with tops,
    sliced 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups shredded napa cabbage 1 cup
    shredded carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2/2 cup chopped mushrooms 4 ounces fresh or canned bean sprouts, rinsed 1 can (15 ounces) chick-
    peas, rinsed and drained 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce Pepper (optional) 1 egg, beaten
    12 egg roll wrappers Peanut or vegetable oil Plum Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)

    Instructions:

    Combine sesame seeds and sesame oil in large skillet. Cook and stir over low heat 2 to 3 minutes or
    until sesame seeds begin to brown. Add green onions, ginger and garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2
    minutes. Add cabbage, carrots, celery, mushrooms and bean sprouts; cover. Cook 8 minutes or until
    cabbage is wilted. Stir in chick-peas and soy sauce; season to taste with pepper, if desired. Cool
    10 minutes; stir in egg. Place 1/3 cup vegetable mixture near one corner of egg roll wrapper. Brush
    edges of egg roll wrapper with water. Fold bottom corner of egg roll wrapper up over filling; fold
    sides in and roll up. Repeat with remaining filling and egg roll wrappers. Heat 1 inch peanut oil in
    large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until oil is 375°F; adjust heat to maintain temperature.
    Fry egg rolls 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels; serve hot with Plum Dipping
    Sauce. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 12 servings 2 POINTS per serving

    Nutritional Information: Per serving: 118 calories, 5g protein, 3g fat (1g saturated), 3g fiber, 20g
    carbohydrates, 335mg sodium.

    Plum Dipping Sauce Makes about 1 cup

    3/3 cup plum sauce 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or cider
    vinegar 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger 1 tablespoon honey 2 green onions with tops, sliced 3 to
    4 drops hot chili oil (optional) Combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Cover;
    refrigerate until ready to serve. Cook's Tip While preparing egg rolls, keep unused egg roll
    wrappers covered with a damp towel to prevent drying out.

  4. Dcsena

    Dcsena Guest

    LOL Yes that is the easiest way. But occasionally I like to make my own. :)

  5. Dcsena

    Dcsena Guest

    Thanks for the info and the help. I will definatly have to try this one. Looks great! But for the
    days I just dont want to go to the trouble, I know which kind to buy now. :) Still fairly new to
    this point thing, so thanks for the help!!

    Cathy

  6. oh you mean actually "cook" something, not me thanks. But you could buy
    these and figure out what is in them. They are full sized and only two
    points, kinda like the tamales DH found, they come in 2,3, and 4 point
    versions and are huge, Lee loving WW
    dcsena <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > LOL Yes that is the easiest way. But occasionally I like to make my own.
    :)