Egg Whites VS Egg Substitute

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Thomas Muffaletto, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. I would like to replace the egg yolks with
    substitutes on foods I will be eating more often.
    Is there a rule of thumb on what on what is better
    to use on certain types of foods?
    Tom

    --
    Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
    Your American Diabetes Association
    http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
    My Website
    http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/
     
    Tags:


  2. L

    L Guest

    On 8-Jan-2005, "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I would like to replace the egg yolks with
    > substitutes on foods I will be eating more often.
    > Is there a rule of thumb on what on what is better
    > to use on certain types of foods?


    I don't know about a rule of thumb; but, I use Egg Beaters instead of eggs
    for everything except custard and where whole egg is a must ("sunny side up
    fried", Benedict, etc.). I use it in all manner of cooking from scrambled
    eggs and omelets to meatloaf and home-made bread. I could probably use Egg
    Beaters in custard (there are a couple of custards at the Egg Beaters
    website), but I'm sure corn starch or other thickener would need to be used
    to replace the thickening power of egg yolk.

    Try egg substitutes (like Egg Beaters) in everything except the obvious
    problem areas and I think you'll find they work just fine.
     
  3. "L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > On 8-Jan-2005, "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to replace the egg yolks with
    >> substitutes on foods I will be eating more often.
    >> Is there a rule of thumb on what on what is better
    >> to use on certain types of foods?

    >
    > I don't know about a rule of thumb; but, I use Egg Beaters instead of eggs
    > for everything except custard and where whole egg is a must ("sunny side
    > up
    > fried", Benedict, etc.). I use it in all manner of cooking from scrambled
    > eggs and omelets to meatloaf and home-made bread. I could probably use
    > Egg
    > Beaters in custard (there are a couple of custards at the Egg Beaters
    > website), but I'm sure corn starch or other thickener would need to be
    > used
    > to replace the thickening power of egg yolk.
    >
    > Try egg substitutes (like Egg Beaters) in everything except the obvious
    > problem areas and I think you'll find they work just fine.


    tonight I checked out the Egg Beaters - kind of expensive.
    I think I might go with egg whites and save the yolks for my dogs.
    Tom
     
  4. Shawn Hearn

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > On 8-Jan-2005, "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would like to replace the egg yolks with
    > >> substitutes on foods I will be eating more often.
    > >> Is there a rule of thumb on what on what is better
    > >> to use on certain types of foods?

    > >
    > > I don't know about a rule of thumb; but, I use Egg Beaters instead of eggs
    > > for everything except custard and where whole egg is a must ("sunny side
    > > up
    > > fried", Benedict, etc.). I use it in all manner of cooking from scrambled
    > > eggs and omelets to meatloaf and home-made bread. I could probably use
    > > Egg
    > > Beaters in custard (there are a couple of custards at the Egg Beaters
    > > website), but I'm sure corn starch or other thickener would need to be
    > > used
    > > to replace the thickening power of egg yolk.
    > >
    > > Try egg substitutes (like Egg Beaters) in everything except the obvious
    > > problem areas and I think you'll find they work just fine.

    >
    > tonight I checked out the Egg Beaters - kind of expensive.
    > I think I might go with egg whites and save the yolks for my dogs.
    > Tom


    Is there a Trader Joe's in your area? If so, Trader Joe's egg substitute
    is great and its reasonably priced.
     
  5. "Shawn Hearn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > On 8-Jan-2005, "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> I would like to replace the egg yolks with
    >> >> substitutes on foods I will be eating more often.
    >> >> Is there a rule of thumb on what on what is better
    >> >> to use on certain types of foods?
    >> >
    >> > I don't know about a rule of thumb; but, I use Egg Beaters instead of
    >> > eggs
    >> > for everything except custard and where whole egg is a must ("sunny
    >> > side
    >> > up
    >> > fried", Benedict, etc.). I use it in all manner of cooking from
    >> > scrambled
    >> > eggs and omelets to meatloaf and home-made bread. I could probably
    >> > use
    >> > Egg
    >> > Beaters in custard (there are a couple of custards at the Egg Beaters
    >> > website), but I'm sure corn starch or other thickener would need to be
    >> > used
    >> > to replace the thickening power of egg yolk.
    >> >
    >> > Try egg substitutes (like Egg Beaters) in everything except the obvious
    >> > problem areas and I think you'll find they work just fine.

    >>
    >> tonight I checked out the Egg Beaters - kind of expensive.
    >> I think I might go with egg whites and save the yolks for my dogs.
    >> Tom

    >
    > Is there a Trader Joe's in your area? If so, Trader Joe's egg substitute
    > is great and its reasonably priced.


    I take it most here use egg substitutes over egg whites?
    if so why? I am pretty sure that the ingredients are egg whites
    and some seasonings. did I miss something?
    Tom
     
  6. L

    L Guest

    On 10-Jan-2005, "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I take it most here use egg substitutes over egg whites?
    > if so why? I am pretty sure that the ingredients are egg whites
    > and some seasonings. did I miss something?
    > Tom


    EggBeater's have additives, such as beta carotene, to make them
    nutritionally equivalent to an egg; whites are not. Also, it's very
    convenient for me to just pour rather than try and separate eggs first thing
    in the AM. Also, if you don't use a lot of eggy stuff, frozen EggBeaters
    are easy to keep on hand, lasting approximately forever in the freezer and
    can be thawed in short order. Real eggs are quite unappealing if left in
    the fridge for extended periods of time.


    x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
    x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
    x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
     
  7. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I take it most here use egg substitutes over egg whites?
    > if so why? I am pretty sure that the ingredients are egg whites
    > and some seasonings. did I miss something?
    > Tom
    >


    I use eggs. For a healthy choice I use those flax fed chicken
    eggs...higher in omega fatty acids.

    --
    Starchless in Manitoba.
    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
     
  8. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "L" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 10-Jan-2005, "Thomas Muffaletto" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I take it most here use egg substitutes over egg whites?
    > > if so why? I am pretty sure that the ingredients are egg whites
    > > and some seasonings. did I miss something?
    > > Tom

    >
    > EggBeater's have additives, such as beta carotene, to make them
    > nutritionally equivalent to an egg; whites are not. Also, it's very
    > convenient for me to just pour rather than try and separate eggs first thing
    > in the AM. Also, if you don't use a lot of eggy stuff, frozen EggBeaters
    > are easy to keep on hand, lasting approximately forever in the freezer and
    > can be thawed in short order. Real eggs are quite unappealing if left in
    > the fridge for extended periods of time.


    I also use egg substitute because I like the convenience. I just buy a
    six pack of the single-use cartons. I keep a few in the freezer and a
    few in my refrigerator. Egg substitutes freeze nicely and they have the
    same color and consistency as whole eggs. I get mine at Trader Joe's,
    and I use coupons to save on Egg Beaters whenever I find the coupons. I
    also like the reduced cholesterol that egg substitutes bring to the
    table. I also keep a package or two of low-fat sausage in the freezer to
    go with the eggs when I want to eat a hot breakfast at home.

    Once every few months, I will treat myself to a dozen locally produced
    brown eggs. When I do that, I also buy a pack of bacon or some pork
    sausage.
     
Loading...