Eggbeater Cleats

Marian

Guest
After a month in the shop I've finally got my rebuilt mountain bike.
(Changed the frame which meant changing to disc brakes which meant new
wheels and I had to pick a specific hub that was continually
unavailable from their suppliers.)

During that month I've added a race bike with Shimano road pedals to
my collection.

With somewhere around 10,000 kilometers on them I'm wondering, do my
feet feel so insecurely attached to the pedals because I've been
riding road pedals recently...? ...or are my cleats due for
replacement?

-M

In article <[email protected]>,
Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
>After a month in the shop I've finally got my rebuilt mountain bike.
>(Changed the frame which meant changing to disc brakes which meant new
>wheels and I had to pick a specific hub that was continually
>unavailable from their suppliers.)
>
>During that month I've added a race bike with Shimano road pedals to
>my collection.
>
>With somewhere around 10,000 kilometers on them I'm wondering, do my
>feet feel so insecurely attached to the pedals because I've been
>riding road pedals recently...? ...or are my cleats due for
>replacement?

You need new cleats, 10K of MTB'ing is a lot of km's for
Eggbeater cleats. Could also be the difference in float,
but I'd try new cleats. When they get worn they tend to
snap in two, which is not much fun far from home.

_ Booker C. Bense

"Booker C. Bense"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
>>After a month in the shop I've finally got my rebuilt mountain bike.
>>(Changed the frame which meant changing to disc brakes which meant new
>>wheels and I had to pick a specific hub that was continually
>>unavailable from their suppliers.)
>>
>>During that month I've added a race bike with Shimano road pedals to
>>my collection.
>>
>>With somewhere around 10,000 kilometers on them I'm wondering, do my
>>feet feel so insecurely attached to the pedals because I've been
>>riding road pedals recently...? ...or are my cleats due for
>>replacement?
>>

> You need new cleats, 10K of MTB'ing is a lot of km's for
> Eggbeater cleats. Could also be the difference in float,
> but I'd try new cleats. When they get worn they tend to
> snap in two, which is not much fun far from home.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

And 10,000K is a LOT for any cleats ;-)
Kerry

On Jun 13, 10:35 am, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Booker C. Bense"
> <[email protected]> wrote in
> messagenews:[email protected]...
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>After a month in the shop I've finally got my rebuilt mountain bike.
> >>(Changed the frame which meant changing to disc brakes which meant new
> >>wheels and I had to pick a specific hub that was continually
> >>unavailable from their suppliers.)

> >>During that month I've added a race bike with Shimano road pedals to
> >>my collection.

> >>With somewhere around 10,000 kilometers on them I'm wondering, do my
> >>feet feel so insecurely attached to the pedals because I've been
> >>riding road pedals recently...? ...or are my cleats due for
> >>replacement?

> > You need new cleats, 10K of MTB'ing is a lot of km's for
> > Eggbeater cleats. Could also be the difference in float,
> > but I'd try new cleats. When they get worn they tend to
> > snap in two, which is not much fun far from home.

> > _ Booker C. Bense

> And 10,000K is a LOT for any cleats ;-)
> Kerry- Hide quoted text -

And cleats are (fairly) cheap.

On Jun 14, 2:12 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Jun.
[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
> >After a month in the shop I've finally got my rebuilt mountain bike.
> >(Changed the frame which meant changing to disc brakes which meant new
> >wheels and I had to pick a specific hub that was continually
> >unavailable from their suppliers.)

> >During that month I've added a race bike with Shimano road pedals to
> >my collection.

> >With somewhere around 10,000 kilometers on them I'm wondering, do my
> >feet feel so insecurely attached to the pedals because I've been
> >riding road pedals recently...? ...or are my cleats due for
> >replacement?

> You need new cleats, 10K of MTB'ing is a lot of km's for
> Eggbeater cleats. Could also be the difference in float,
> but I'd try new cleats. When they get worn they tend to
> snap in two, which is not much fun far from home.

Only 2.5k of mountain biking, they were on last year's road bike
before. In the days when I had only one bike.

Now I have one platform pedal downtube shifter road bike with rack,
one road pedal brifter equipped what's a rack road bike, and one
mountain pedal mountain bike.

-M