Eggbeater query

Andrew Sweetman

Guest
I've been using a pair of eggbeaters since late September (3800m ish), and tonight the left one
broke, as in the pedal detached from the axle (disintegrated circlip???...). It was dark, about
17m from home. I found the pedal body, but other bits may have gone. I quite like them apart from
the failure.

Has anyone else had any problems with these pedals? I'm wondering whether to get another pair/try
for a fix under guarantee, or just give up on them and try something else.

Andrew

"Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been using a pair of eggbeaters since late September (3800m ish), and tonight the left one
> broke, as in the pedal detached from the axle (disintegrated circlip???...).

All of ours have a bolt holding it together, so either that broke or unscrewed.

> It was dark, about 17m from home. I found the pedal body, but other bits may have gone. I quite
> like them apart from the failure.
>
> Has anyone else had any problems with these pedals? I'm wondering whether to get another pair/try
> for a fix under guarantee, or just give up on them and try something else.

Performance-wise, they can't be beaten IMO. They are especially good at coping with mud, and
extremely light weight too. But certainly they are not maintenance-free in the way that Time ATAC
are. You pay your money and take your choice... I think they are worth it for more serious MTBing,
but I'm keeping ATACs on some of my bikes (and shoes) for now at least. Crank Bros have a good
reputation for service (and they sent me some cleats free after I got the early break-prone ones) so
they will probably sort you out. At that sort of mileage, however (even assuming it's mainly/all on
road), I think they will need regularly looking after.

James

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've been using a pair of eggbeaters since late September (3800m ish),
and
> > tonight the left one broke, as in the pedal detached from the axle (disintegrated
> > circlip???...).
>
> All of ours have a bolt holding it together, so either that broke or unscrewed.

On further investigation, it was the end bearing that failed - the outer race was still circlipped
into the pedal body, and the inner race still firmly attached to the end of the axle with a bolt. I
would guess that the cage that keeps the balls spread came apart.

Andrew