Eggbeater Question

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
My speedplays are facing retirement and I have wanted to replace with Crank Bros Eggbeaters. My question, what is the benefit of the Eggbeater SL over the Eggbeater C? Ok, the SL is stainless and 30g lighter, but I'm not worried about rust (I enjoy cleaning my bikes obsessively) and I ALWAYS value durability over light weight (rider weight about 230lbs, besides lightweight is boring.. On a grueling day you want stuff to work..like a bottle cage that actually holds a bottle when you hit a frost heave.. but I digress). Is there a quality benefit with the pricier Eggbeater SL over the C that is worthwhile? Example, my first speedplays were the X3 but the bearings went quickly and the X2 which I replaced them with have lasted much longer.
Thanks.

I own both: SL's on my mountain bike, and C's on my road bike. For me, they are functionally identical and rust has not been an issue at all.

Scotty_Dog said:
I own both: SL's on my mountain bike, and C's on my road bike. For me, they are functionally identical and rust has not been an issue at all.

Do you use the quatrro cleat on the road bike or just the regular eggbeater road pedal with the hard rubber side supports?

PeterF said:
Do you use the quatrro cleat on the road bike or just the regular eggbeater road pedal with the hard rubber side supports?

As a mountain biker later converted to road cycling, all my shoes and cleats are 2-hole SPD. I'm using the standard eggbeater style pedal on both bikes. I tried using the mallet eggbeater on my mountain bike years ago, but did not like the clip-in interference created by the large platform.

Hey everyone,

My names Tragen. Im a 4th year bus econ major at UCSB.

I bought a used, very old, centurion road bike for $150 a couple years ago to commute around school, and fell in love with road bikes. I have checked out some of the local road bike trails, but have not even hit the surface of what santa barbara has to offer.

I think its finally time for a "real" road bike. But there are soooo many companies, and soooo many bike shops in sb, i am really lost on what to look for.

I would love any suggestions of where to start, or even a specific road bike you have in mind i should purchase.

I would like to stay under $600, but would be willing to spend 700 i think.

Thanks in advance!

-Trags

Trek 1.1 or Giant Defy 4. There may be others. Beware of any bike in this price class that does not use Shimano or SRAM shift/brake levers.

There are some good bikes under $600, two of which OldBobCat mentioned. Other decent bikes are the Giant OCR3, Schwinn Circuit and Fastback Sport, Jamis Ventura Comp, and the Raleigh Grand Sport. Some of these bikes retail over you price range BUT there are end of seasons sales going on right now. Fortunately for you, you have some good bike shops there, Open Air and especially Hazards are very good shops.

If your not scared of mail order bikes there is a place called Bikes Direct at: http://www.bikesdirect.com/ There you can browse the sale bikes or browse the tabs for the bike style your interested in. The Motobecane Grand Record has received high reviews and it's only $599. Just make sure you know exactly what size you need.

I hope this helps.