Eggbeater's maintainance question...

Me

Guest
Hi, I have a pair of CrankBros EggBeaters - 2 months old and the left one is clicking on every pedal
stroke (arrrggghh!) -even with light pressure. I replaced the pedal with an old spd one and it is
definately the pedal and not the BB, BB shell or Crank.

Curious, do you know where I can find info or a FAQ on taking them apart or perhaps tightening up
the axles or bearings or something? What about a list of tools that I will need. I didn't see
anything on the crank bros website.

I'm really happy with the pedals so far, I just didn't expect to have to do this so soon.

Oh yeah, I live in England if that makes any difference.

cheers,

Me wrote:

> Hi, I have a pair of CrankBros EggBeaters - 2 months old and the left one is clicking on every
> pedal stroke (arrrggghh!) -even with light pressure. I replaced the pedal with an old spd one and
> it is definately the pedal and not the BB, BB shell or Crank.
>
> Curious, do you know where I can find info or a FAQ on taking them apart or perhaps tightening up
> the axles or bearings or something? What about a list of tools that I will need. I didn't see
> anything on the crank bros website.
>
> I'm really happy with the pedals so far, I just didn't expect to have to do this so soon.
>
> Oh yeah, I live in England if that makes any difference.
>
> cheers,

pull out the rubber plug (small screwdriver) undo small inhex bolt and pull apart /Marten

Me <[email protected]> wrote:

> Curious, do you know where I can find info or a FAQ on taking them apart or perhaps tightening up
> the axles or bearings or something? What about a list of tools that I will need. I didn't see
> anything on the crank bros website.

2002 model EggBeaters are taken apart by holding the axle with a 6 mm allen wrench, and then
unscrewing the 3 mm allen bolt under the rubber cap. Then you can just pull out the axle from the
pedal body. I don't think there's anything you can really tighten, unless the 3 mm bolt is loose.
The bearing consists of a bushing and a small cartridge bearing, and the whole package is kept
together by the single bolt.

Crank Brothers sells a rebuild kit with new cartridge bearings, bushings and seals:

http://shop.crankbrothers.com/prod_show.php?itemid=66639

To replace the cartridge bearings you also need to replace the snaprings (shown on the page), for
which you might need a pair of snapring pliers.

> I'm really happy with the pedals so far, I just didn't expect to have to do this so soon.

A lot of people have had bearing problems with EggBeaters, based on what I've heard. I don't know if
this year's models are better in this regard. Anybody know?

-as

The newer Rev 2 Egg Beaters have a redesigned spindle, lip seal (replacing the "O" ring) and a
nylon/plastic inner bushing instead of the original metal. These modifications keeps the dirt/mud
out of the inner bushing and reduces maintenance considerably. Charlie

> A lot of people have had bearing problems with EggBeaters, based on what I've heard.

I was wondering why these pedals are being offered so much on second hand sites etc., guess
no i know.

news:[email protected]...

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I have a pair of CrankBros EggBeaters - 2 months old and the left one
is
> clicking on every pedal stroke (arrrggghh!) -even with light pressure. I replaced the pedal with
> an old spd one and it is definately the pedal and not the BB, BB shell or Crank.
>
> Curious, do you know where I can find info or a FAQ on taking them apart
or
> perhaps tightening up the axles or bearings or something? What about a
list
> of tools that I will need. I didn't see anything on the crank bros
website.

> I'm really happy with the pedals so far, I just didn't expect to have to
do
> this so soon.
>
> Oh yeah, I live in England if that makes any difference.

Well, I'd most likely read the documents that came with the pedals. Barring that, the next time you
go to www.crankbrothers.com, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "contact us".

EggBeater cleats wear pretty quickly. I suspect this is your problem.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

I'm fairly certain as its not the cleats as the clicking noise still occurs when I push down on the
pedal with my heal while still riding.

I've contacted crank bros via their website both in the US and their distributer (Raleigh P&A)
in England.

I'm still waiting to hear from them, though its has only been a 24 hours.

I'll post again to let everybody know what they recommend I do with my 3 month old pedals...

cheers "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I have a pair of CrankBros EggBeaters - 2 months old and the left
one
> is
> > clicking on every pedal stroke (arrrggghh!) -even with light pressure. I replaced the pedal with
> > an old spd one and it is definately the pedal
and
> > not the BB, BB shell or Crank.
> >
> > Curious, do you know where I can find info or a FAQ on taking them apart
> or
> > perhaps tightening up the axles or bearings or something? What about a
> list
> > of tools that I will need. I didn't see anything on the crank bros
> website.
> >
> > I'm really happy with the pedals so far, I just didn't expect to have to
> do
> > this so soon.
> >
> > Oh yeah, I live in England if that makes any difference.
> >

> Well, I'd most likely read the documents that came with the pedals.
Barring
> that, the next time you go to www.crankbrothers.com, scroll to the bottom
of
> the page and click on "contact us".
>
> EggBeater cleats wear pretty quickly. I suspect this is your problem.
>

> --
> Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > A lot of people have had bearing problems with EggBeaters, based on what I've heard.
>
> I was wondering why these pedals are being offered so much on second hand sites etc., guess
> no i know.

It's 2002 model that has the bearing problem and is being heavily discounted by suppliers. The
various 2003 models, as stated by another in this thread, are said to correct the problem.

The basic design of the pedal is superior to any I've tried, including Time ATAC. If you are really
concerned about bearing wear, Look has a licensed version of the Eggbeater with needle bearings,
called the 4 X 4.