Eggplant slices

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    leftover.
    What else can I make with them?

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > leftover.
    > What else can I make with them?

    Dip in egg, then bread crumbs. Bake until crisp. Now, use them as one of the
    layers in lasagna. Goes nicely with spinach.

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    MG wrote:

    > "saw Giada (surname?) on pay TV make her version of cannelloni...from memory
    > she used grilled slices to wrap up a ricotta and other cheese mixture before
    > laying in a dish, covering with passata or similar, grated cheese, and
    > baking

    From memory? It is a television show. It is all scripted.

  4. MG

    MG Guest

    "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > leftover.
    > What else can I make with them?

    saw Giada (surname?) on pay TV make her version of cannelloni...from memory
    she used grilled slices to wrap up a ricotta and other cheese mixture before
    laying in a dish, covering with passata or similar, grated cheese, and
    baking

    looked delish

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    >> leftover.
    >> What else can I make with them?

    > Dip in egg, then bread crumbs. Bake until crisp. Now, use them as one
    > of the layers in lasagna. Goes nicely with spinach.

    Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs and
    frying until crisp. Just eat!

    Jill

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    >> "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message news:[email protected]
    >>> Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    >>> leftover.
    >>> What else can I make with them?

    >> Dip in egg, then bread crumbs. Bake until crisp. Now, use them as one
    >> of the layers in lasagna. Goes nicely with spinach.

    > Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs and
    > frying until crisp. Just eat!
    >
    > Jill

    Sure...that works, too. I like baking, though, because even with a coating,
    eggplant loves to soak up oil. I wonder why some hippy-dippy company isn't
    marketing eggplant slices as facial wipes for oily skin.

  7. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Doug Kanter wrote:
    >>> "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> in message news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> Dip in egg, then bread crumbs. Bake until crisp. Now, use them as
    >>> one of the layers in lasagna. Goes nicely with spinach.

    >> Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs
    >> and frying until crisp. Just eat!
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Sure...that works, too. I like baking, though, because even with a
    > coating, eggplant loves to soak up oil.

    I'm one of those who salts eggplant slices and then rinses them before
    cooking. They soak up moisture as well as oil. Don't know about oily skin
    :)

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs
    >>> and frying until crisp. Just eat!
    >>>
    >>> Jill
    >>>

    >> Sure...that works, too. I like baking, though, because even with a
    >> coating, eggplant loves to soak up oil.

    > I'm one of those who salts eggplant slices and then rinses them before
    > cooking. They soak up moisture as well as oil. Don't know about oily
    > skin
    > :)

    I used to do that before baking the slices, but I adapted an oven-frying
    method that I first learned for baking fish. You crank the oven to its
    highest temp, and pay very close attention with your eyes and nose. Baking
    eggplant at 500-550, it seems to drive out any excess moisture.

  9. MG

    MG Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MG wrote:
    >
    >> "saw Giada (surname?) on pay TV make her version of cannelloni...from
    >> memory
    >> she used grilled slices to wrap up a ricotta and other cheese mixture
    >> before
    >> laying in a dish, covering with passata or similar, grated cheese, and
    >> baking

    > From memory? It is a television show. It is all scripted.

    cute

  10. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > leftover.
    > What else can I make with them?

    Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs and
    > frying until crisp. Just eat!
    >
    > Jill

    Do as above and use in sandwiches with a tomatoey sauce (or even catsup), a
    little cheese.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

  11. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    >> leftover.
    >> What else can I make with them?

    > Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs and
    >> frying until crisp. Just eat!
    >>
    >> Jill

    > Do as above and use in sandwiches with a tomatoey sauce (or even catsup),
    > little cheese.
    > --
    > Lefty

    Damn....that sounds delicious right now. How about topped with feta, some
    sort of slightly bitter greens (like arugula), sweet tomato to balance the
    bitter, and doused with balsamic whatever?

  12. Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:

    > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > leftover.
    > What else can I make with them?

    Egg plant dore

    dip the slices in beaten egg yolk then in seasoned flour and saute in
    oil till done.

    Works best with thinly sliced egg plant and is a good way to treat
    thinly sliced zucchini.
    ---
    JL

  13. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:47:34 +0200, Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen
    wrote:

    > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > leftover.
    > What else can I make with them?

    I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating

    Penne with Eggplant and Ricotta
    (adapted from the South Beach Diet website)

    Prep time: 15 minutes
    Cook time: 25 minutes
    4 servings
    Ingredients

    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
    1 1/2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
    8 ounces penne
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    ¼ t oregano

    Instructions
    Heat oven to 450°F.

    Lightly coat a baking pan with oil. Place eggplant in a bowl, drizzle
    with 2 tablespoons oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, and
    spread in an even layer on the baking pan. Bake, stirring once, until
    eggplant is lightly browned, about 25 minutes.

    While eggplant is roasting, cook pasta according to the package
    directions.
    Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high
    heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened,
    about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes
    with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and
    simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and oregano. Season to taste
    with salt and pepper. Stir in the ricotta.

    Drain pasta, place in a large bowl, and add tomato mixture, eggplant.
    Toss to combine and serve.

    (Can be eaten hot or room temperature)

  14. Jude

    Jude Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:47:34 +0200, Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > > leftover.
    > > What else can I make with them?

    > I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating
    >
    > Penne with Eggplant and Ricotta
    > (adapted from the South Beach Diet website)

    Ooooh, I tried this when you first posted it. It's really good. Thanks
    for the reminder to make it again soon!

  15. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:47:34 +0200, Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    >leftover.
    >What else can I make with them?

    Hi Michael! <waving>

    The only way I've ever eaten eggplant was where the slices were dipped
    in beaten eggs, then coated with saltine cracker crumbs and fried. If
    the slices are thin enough, it's almost like eating freshwater fish.
    Well, to me it is. LOL!

    Carol

  16. jake

    jake Guest

    Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:

    > Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > leftover.
    > What else can I make with them?

    Using a brush, lightly oil them. Then grill in a grill pan. Serve as a
    veg with lamb, meat balls, something cheesy. Flavors that gow ell with
    it: lemon, garlic, feta, maybe thyme or parsley.

    You coudl also make a "lasagna"by replacing the pasta with eggplant
    slices. I'd prefry them in the grill pan in that case, but maybe
    raw-before-oben-baking works, too.

  17. jake wrote:
    > Using a brush, lightly oil them. Then grill in a grill pan. Serve as a
    > veg with lamb, meat balls, something cheesy. Flavors that gow ell with
    > it: lemon, garlic, feta, maybe thyme or parsley.

    I finally went for the socalled "eggplant parmesan", where I sauteed
    them (meant to dip in eggs and breadcrumbs but had a time issue) and
    layered them with chopped tomatoes, oregano, and cheese. Added same
    balmamic vinegar to taste. Would prefer not to another time.

    > You could also make a "lasagna"by replacing the pasta with eggplant
    > slices. I'd prefry them in the grill pan in that case, but maybe
    > raw-before-oben-baking works, too.

    Well then it is kinda the same as moussaka which could be called a
    lasagna with eggplants instead of pasta (lasagna and moussaka as I know
    it is made of meat sauce, pasta plates(l.) or aubergine (m.), bechamel,
    and cheese).

  18. On Wed 05 Apr 2006 03:24:52a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
    Archon Sequoia Nielsen?

    > jake wrote:
    >> Using a brush, lightly oil them. Then grill in a grill pan. Serve as a
    >> veg with lamb, meat balls, something cheesy. Flavors that gow ell with
    >> it: lemon, garlic, feta, maybe thyme or parsley.

    > I finally went for the socalled "eggplant parmesan", where I sauteed
    > them (meant to dip in eggs and breadcrumbs but had a time issue) and
    > layered them with chopped tomatoes, oregano, and cheese. Added same
    > balmamic vinegar to taste. Would prefer not to another time.
    >

    >> You could also make a "lasagna"by replacing the pasta with eggplant
    >> slices. I'd prefry them in the grill pan in that case, but maybe
    >> raw-before-oben-baking works, too.

    > Well then it is kinda the same as moussaka which could be called a
    > lasagna with eggplants instead of pasta (lasagna and moussaka as I know
    > it is made of meat sauce, pasta plates(l.) or aubergine (m.), bechamel,
    > and cheese).

    Well, Michael, I never really thought about it, but lasagna and mouusaka
    really are very similar. I have ordered both eggplant lasagna and moussaka
    in different restaurants and never really made the connection. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  19. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]
    > >> Hi, I made moussaka yesterday but still have a lot of eggplant slices
    > >> leftover.
    > >> What else can I make with them?

    > > Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs and
    > >> frying until crisp. Just eat!
    > >>
    > >> Jill

    > > Do as above and use in sandwiches with a tomatoey sauce (or even

    catsup),
    > > little cheese.
    > > --
    > > Lefty

    > Damn....that sounds delicious right now. How about topped with feta, some
    > sort of slightly bitter greens (like arugula), sweet tomato to balance the
    > bitter, and doused with balsamic whatever?

    Okay, that doesn't sound delicious; that sounds ORGASMIC!

    kili

  20. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> > message news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > Nothing wrong with just dipping in egg, then coating in bread crumbs
    >> > and

    >> > Do as above and use in sandwiches with a tomatoey sauce (or even

    > catsup),
    >> > little cheese.
    >> > --
    >> > Lefty

    >> Damn....that sounds delicious right now. How about topped with feta, some
    >> sort of slightly bitter greens (like arugula), sweet tomato to balance
    >> the
    >> bitter, and doused with balsamic whatever?
    >>

    > Okay, that doesn't sound delicious; that sounds ORGASMIC!
    >
    > kili

    I've been on a roll this week. :)