Eggplant virgin here! (also scanning Ask Jeeves...)



I

I-zheet M'drurz

Guest
(...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)

Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
by recipe.

The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been bounced
around, best I can associate the look.

Is that part bad, or can I use it?

Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.

Thanks.


--
_________________________________________
If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
 
S

sarah bennett

Guest
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> (...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)
>
> Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
> by recipe.
>
> The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been bounced
> around, best I can associate the look.
>
> Is that part bad, or can I use it?
>
> Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.
>
> Thanks.
>
>


i think its the same oxidization thing that happens to apples and
potatoes. a sprinkle of salt or something acidic should help.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
 
J

jmcquown

Guest
"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> > (...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)
> >
> > Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
> > by recipe.
> >
> > The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been bounced
> > around, best I can associate the look.
> >
> > Is that part bad, or can I use it?
> >
> > Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >

>
> i think its the same oxidization thing that happens to apples and
> potatoes. a sprinkle of salt or something acidic should help.
>
> --
>
> saerah
>

Exactly. A plunge in cold water with a dash of vinegar or lemon juice will
stop the oxidation.

Jill
 
S

Sheldon

Guest
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> (...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)
>
> Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
> by recipe.
>
> The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been bounced
> around, best I can associate the look.
>
> Is that part bad, or can I use it?
>
> Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.


Sounds bruised... bruised fruit oxidizes quickly... but mostly it's
esthetic, it's still quite usable. You used a dull knife and/or work
extremely slowly. Btw, no need to remove the skin from eggplant for
parm... the skin is the best part, essentially contains the only food
value in eggplant, some fiber, a small amount of iron, and that purple
skin contains antioxidants... the rest of the eggplant contains
virtually no nutrition whatsoever. 1/2" is a bit too thick for parm,
drop down to 3/8".

Sheldon
 
I

I-zheet M'drurz

Guest
Sheldon spaketh thusly:

> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:


>> The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been
>> bounced around, best I can associate the look.
>>
>> Is that part bad, or can I use it?
>>
>> Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.


> Sounds bruised... bruised fruit oxidizes quickly... but mostly
> it's esthetic, it's still quite usable. You used a dull knife
> and/or work extremely slowly.


OK maybe that was part of it, but there was a lot of it already
there when I peeled it. I ran out and bought a 2nd one, *much*
better quality, I think the first one was just plain beat up.
Thanks, I'll know in the future about it being usable.

> Btw, no need to remove the skin
> from eggplant for parm... the skin is the best part...


Ahhh, opinions (and recipe differences all over the place on
that one. Again, I'll probably try it both ways.

> ... 1/2" is a bit too thick for parm, drop down to 3/8".


Ahhhh, I was already with you on that one. Common sense told me
to cheat down to a thinner slice so I followed my intuition.

--
_________________________________________
If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
 
I

I-zheet M'drurz

Guest
jmcquown spaketh thusly:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote...
>> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:


>> > The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been
>> > bounced around, best I can associate the look.


>> i think its the same oxidization thing that happens to apples
>> and potatoes. a sprinkle of salt or something acidic should
>> help.


> Exactly. A plunge in cold water with a dash of vinegar or lemon
> juice will stop the oxidation.


I did a rotten job of describing it, sorry. On my "good" pieces,
I did see what you are talking about, but the stuff I was worried
about was there before I peeled it, it had to be. Just replied
to another post (Sheldon) about using that, peeling/not peeling,
etc.

Thanks to ALL who replied. It's out of the oven and cooling, it's
lunch tomorrow at work (ugggg...nuking it, can't be helped) for a
soecial lady, wish me luck :)

--
_________________________________________
If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
 
S

Sheldon

Guest
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
>
> Thanks to ALL who replied. It's out of the oven and cooling, it's
> lunch tomorrow at work for a soecial lady, wish me luck :)


So you're trying to impress a lady... I think it's a big mistake to
slice your eggplant... I'd have served her deep fried eggplant sticks
and deep fried mozzarella sticks, nice big fat juicy specimens... sauce
or not is up to her. Hey, it's the same ingredients... but I think a
luckier version. And even if you don't get lucky you'd have enjoyed
ogling her eating.

Sheldon
 
I

I-zheet M'drurz

Guest
Sheldon spaketh thusly:

>
>
> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to ALL who replied. It's out of the oven and
>> cooling, it's lunch tomorrow at work for a soecial lady,
>> wish me luck :)

>
> So you're trying to impress a lady... I think it's a big mistake
> to slice your eggplant... I'd have served her deep fried
> eggplant sticks and deep fried mozzarella sticks, nice big fat
> juicy specimens... sauce or not is up to her. Hey, it's the
> same ingredients... but I think a luckier version. And even if
> you don't get lucky you'd have enjoyed ogling her eating.


But, but...but....I asked her! "What's your favorite dish", and
damned if she didn't come back with something (albeit simple) that
I've never made before. Plus, there's that can't-do-it-live-
-needs-to-be-nuked thing, I figure that blows the deep fried stuff
out of contention. Oh yeah, I think the ogling is a pretty safe
bet, but hey, I've been wrong before.

--
_________________________________________
If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
 
S

sf

Guest
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 02:54:20 +0000 (UTC), I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

>
> > ... 1/2" is a bit too thick for parm, drop down to 3/8".

>
> Ahhhh, I was already with you on that one. Common sense told me
> to cheat down to a thinner slice so I followed my intuition.


We Eggplant Parmigiana last night too (the slices were about 1/2 inch
thick) and it was fantastic.

:) More good eating today because we'll use the leftovers as a
vegetable side dish.
 
S

Shaun aRe

Guest
"I-zheet M'drurz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)
>
> Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
> by recipe.
>
> The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been bounced
> around, best I can associate the look.
>
> Is that part bad, or can I use it?
>
> Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.
>
> Thanks.


You actually peeled it? Did the recipe call for that? Just curious, as it's
not something I ever heard of anyone doing - the skin be good.

As for the bruised/whatever - without seeing I really couldn't say.


Shaun aRe
 
S

Shaun aRe

Guest
"I-zheet M'drurz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)
>
> Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
> by recipe.
>
> The edges - bruised? bad? Like an apple that's been bounced
> around, best I can associate the look.
>
> Is that part bad, or can I use it?
>
> Making Eggplant Parmigiana if it matters.
>
> Thanks.


You actually peeled it? Did the recipe call for that? Just curious, as it's
not something I ever heard of anyone doing - the skin be good.

As for the bruised/whatever - without seeing I really couldn't say.


Shaun aRe
 
T

The Joneses

Guest
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

> (...I'm not a totally lazy moron!)
>
> Just peeled my first eggplant. Cut into 1/2" pieces as directed
> by recipe.


Just in case you never tried it, being a virgin and all, look up Rachel
Ray's Caponata. I like it, it uses lots of eggplant and other veggies
and olives. I always increase the olives... Tastes like Italian salsa.
Kinda, only better. Freezes well.
Edrena