Eight die as drug driver hits cycling club convoy in Italy.

Chapeau!

Jul 31, 2010
[SIZE= 36px]Eight die as drug driver hits cycling club convoy in Italy.[/SIZE]​

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335863/8-cyclists-killed-drug-driver-horror-crash-Italy.html

Eight cyclists were killed after a car ploughed into them at high speed after losing control on an Italian road on Sunday.

A Mercedes driver lost control of his vehicle as he attempted to overtake a cycling club convoy.

Seven cyclists, all men, died at the scene and another man died in hospital while four remain critically injured.

The Moroccan driver, who tested positive for cannabis, had to be cut from the wreckage of his car and his ten-year-old son who was in the back seat was also injured.

The driver of the Mercedes was injured and had to be cut out of his car. He was later arrested, and police said that he lost his license seven months ago for dangerous driving

Police said the driver had been stripped of his licence earlier this year for dangerous driving and now faces multiple charges of culpable homicide.

They confirmed that he had been breaking the speed limit.

Three cyclists were airlifted from the scene in a critical condition and graphic TV pictures showed the scene of carnage as bodies lay covered with white sheets amid the twisted frames of racing bikes.

The Mercedes crashed into the cyclists and left them strewn over the road in Marinella a Sant'Eufemia near Lamezia Terme in the south of Italy

Paramedic Silvio Rocca described the scene of the accident in Marinella Sant’Eufemia near Lamezia Terme in the south of Italy, where the cycling club was well known.

He said: ‘What we found when we got there was unbelievable – not even a bomb could have caused the devastation we saw.

‘The first report we had was of one cyclist involved in a road accident but when we got to the scene there were bodies everywhere.

'It was a massacre and it was made worse because we knew many of those involved.’

There are pictures of cyclists in a group ride or race down in Mexico literally in the air when a driver purposely crossed over into the oncoming lane and ran head on into them.

All of it sucks but ride like it's your last time, it may just be. I for one expect to die every time I ride.

car-accident-cyclists-mexico.jpg

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm just heartsick. It had to happen really fast for the front cyclists not to be able to get out of the way, but the poor guys behind them probably had no idea what was coming. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]My prayers are with their families. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff](And House, that's the most horrifying pictures I've ever seen.)[/COLOR]

Its real scary.

And to think I use to go through red lights without a second thought.

Still don't wear an helmet when I'm training.

Maybe people think I'm suicidal.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Oh, Chapeau,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Please don't tell me that! It's such an easy thing to pop on a helmet, and such a dangerous thing not to do. As with car accidents, most bicycle accidents probably happen within 2 miles of home. Thirty years ago my husband's co-worker's wife went out for a simple bike ride one sunny afternoon. When she didn't come back, they went looking, and found her on the sidewalk less than 2 blocks away. She had crashed head-first into the concrete. They never knew what had caused her wreck, whether a dog ran in front of her or she hit a crack in the sidewalk or whatever, because she didn't remember after coming out of the coma she was in for months. She didn't die, but she was never completely mobile again, and her toddlers had a mom for years who could barely slur their names. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I worked in the medical field for 35 years. You know what they call cyclists and motorbikers who don't wear helmets?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Organ Donors.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Please don't be one![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by roadhouse .

That photo is a shocker! How lucky is the guy in black and white gear. If that was me, i'd quit riding.

Originally Posted by roadhouse .

It makes me sick seeing pictures like that...Poor guys.

Any idea how exactly that picture was taken? Was it just someone taking a picture of the group at a stop?

Originally Posted by teenroadwarrior .

Any idea how exactly that picture was taken? Was it just someone taking a picture of the group at a stop?
Not sure, but probably someone was videotaping.

http://autoworld.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/terrible-accident-car-crashes-into-bike-race-in-mexico/

Originally Posted by blazingpedals .

Quote: Originally Posted by teenroadwarrior .

http://autoworld.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/terrible-accident-car-crashes-into-bike-race-in-mexico/

Its' amazing only one person was killed in that crash, it looks horrifying.

Originally Posted by ambal .

Quote: Originally Posted by blazingpedals .

Quote: Originally Posted by teenroadwarrior .

Its' amazing only one person was killed in that crash, it looks horrifying.

Only one person killed at the time it was written and ten others wounded so someone might have died in the hospital. Very sad.

Originally Posted by teenroadwarrior .

Only one person killed at the time it was written and ten others wounded so someone might have died in the hospital. Very sad.
And probably a large percentage of the survivors have life long head or spinal injuries. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

I drink alcohol but I'm a responsible drinker. I don't drive when I go out drinking with my friends, I just take a cab it's cheaper and more comfortable. When I ride I've seen fellow riders getting hit by cars and motorcycles driven by drunk drivers. And unless tougher measures are taken by the government then it's always the burden of the cyclist to be aware and safe whenever they ride.

Accidents can really happen that's why not only cyclists but all people on the road should be conscious of their safety. Even the pedestrians are not safe from wayward drivers and there was a bus stop that was hit by a truck that killed many. For a cyclist, the helmet is a must and you should also be aware not only of the oncoming vehicle but also the vehicle behind you. It's really sad to read a news report of such an accident.

People should really know better than to drive under the influence, regardless of what substance it may be. It hurts to see law-abiding citizens and responsible riders lose lives over this.

Truly a tragedy, to say the least.

People driving under the influence is a huge problem in my country, and it always makes me incredibly wary when I’m cycling on the road. It isn’t as if accidents just happen at night either. You’d think people would drive drunk the most when they’re coming home from a night of drinking, but we’ve had plenty of accidents in broad daylight where the driver was either drunk or drugged.

Situational awareness is incredibly important when driving around other motorists, but unfortunately sometimes even that isn’t enough to save you. Such is life.