Eight Speed Ergo Levers

Rowman

Guest
Hi,

I've just built myself a commuting bike using a Ridley cyclo-cross frame and an old'ish XT equiped
mountain bike. As an upgrade I'd like to replace the flat bars and shifters with drop bars and ergo
levers. But heres the problem, the XT group is an eight speed vintage, does anyone know where I can
source a set of eight speed ergo levers or is it possible to modify 9 (10) speed systems to
interoperate with the existing equipment?

Richard

rowman wrote:
> I've just built myself a commuting bike using a Ridley cyclo-cross frame and an old'ish XT equiped
> mountain bike. As an upgrade I'd like to replace the flat bars and shifters with drop bars and
> ergo levers. But heres the problem, the XT group is an eight speed vintage, does anyone know where
> I can source a set of eight speed ergo levers or is it possible to modify 9 (10) speed systems to
> interoperate with the existing equipment?

9-speed Ergos work better and are more comfortable than the old 8-speed ones.

Shimano 8-speed hubs can take 9-speed cassettes. You could either try a Shimano 9sp as is with the
Ergos or use 8 of the 9 cogs respaced with Campag 9sp spacers.

Another option: www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

~PB

>I've just built myself a commuting bike using a Ridley cyclo-cross frame and an old'ish XT equiped
>mountain bike. As an upgrade I'd like to replace the flat bars and shifters with drop bars and ergo
>levers. But heres the problem, the XT group is an eight speed vintage, does anyone know where I can
>source a set of eight speed ergo levers or is it possible to modify 9 (10) speed systems to
>interoperate with the existing equipment?

The only ergos that would work with XT are sachs ergos. Those are hard to come by. You are better
off getting STI levers instead. As long as the STI levers are not 8spd Dura-ace, any 8spd set will
work for you. They are pretty common.
----------------
Alex

blah-<< But heres the problem, the XT group is an eight speed vintage, does anyone know where I can
source a set of eight speed ergo levers or is it possible to modify 9 (10) speed systems to
interoperate with the existing equipment? >><BR><BR>

I can modify 1999 and later ERGO to 8s, I have the shift disc. Then you can space the 8s XT cogset
to Campagnolo 8s with a Wheels spacer kit(the red one, have that too) or you can get 9 or 10s ERGO,
shimano 9s cogset and chain and go ride. Campagnolo 9 and 10s ERGO is compatible with shimano 9s
cogsets, we do this all the time.Remember you need a Campagnolo rear der, any of them.

You can use any ERGO lever and replace the toothed index portion inside the lever with an older
version for about $10. But it still won't work. The Campy 8sp stack was wider that shimano, the
throw ratios of the derailleur and Ergo lever are way off. It'll catch maybe 4 cogs untill the
jockey wheel side play is used up, then it'll jump all over. Match your parts or waste your time.
Your call.

On 05 Mar 2004 23:53:04 GMT, Bikefixr wrote:

> You can use any ERGO lever and replace the toothed index portion inside the lever with an older
> version for about $10. But it still won't work. The Campy 8sp stack was wider that shimano, the
> throw ratios of the derailleur and Ergo lever are way off. It'll catch maybe 4 cogs untill the
> jockey wheel side play is used up, then it'll jump all over. Match your parts or waste your time.
> Your call.

I have an 8 speed Campy Ergo levers shifting an 8 speed Shimano DA cassette (not XT). It doesn't
shift as good as a pure Campy or Shimano, but it works across the entire range (12-23). I replaced
the spacers between each cog with those of a Campy thickness. I did this because in the 1995 era, it
was difficult to get good aftermarket Campy compatible hubs.
--
Skuke Reverse the domain name to send email