Ekimov Next To Wear Yellow?

Time Cop

New Member
May 14, 2003
Now that Victor Hugo Pena has become the first Columbian to wear yellow, it's time for the Posties to set up Vjatceslav Ekimov to become the first Russian to wear the maillot jaune.

He is just five seconds out of the lead and there are three time bonus sprint opportunities Thursday. The Systeme U team of the late 80's used to spread the jersey around this way after winning the time team trial.

Time Cop <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f0c4a7a_2 @news.chariot.net.au:

> Now that Victor Hugo Pena has become the first Columbian to wear yellow, it's time for the Posties
> to set up Vjatceslav Ekimov to become the first Russian to wear the maillot jaune.

Ekimov wouldn't be the first Russian to wear the yellow jersey. Yevgeny Berzin wore it for two
stages in the 1996 edition.

Time Cop wrote:

> Now that Victor Hugo Pena has become the first Columbian to wear yellow, it's time for the Posties
> to set up Vjatceslav Ekimov to become the first Russian to wear the maillot jaune.

Berzin beat Eki to it 7 years ago.

Mark

On 10 Jul 2003 02:31:46 +0950, Time Cop wrote:
> Now that Victor Hugo Pena has become the first Columbian to wear yellow

He graduated?!

I feel Hincapie deserves his share at wearing the Maillot Jaune. He's paid his dues many times over,
and was one of the original USPS team members since 1996. Ekimov didn't join the team until the
following year. The window of opportunity like this doesn't come very often, and being the 100th
anniversary makes it extra special with the Henri Desgrange logo. It would be a nice appreciation
for a domestique. -tom

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I feel Hincapie deserves his share at wearing the Maillot Jaune. He's
paid
> his dues many times over, and was one of the original USPS team members since 1996. Ekimov didn't
> join the team until the following year. The window of opportunity like this doesn't come very
> often, and being the
100th
> anniversary makes it extra special with the Henri Desgrange logo. It
would
> be a nice appreciation for a domestique. -tom

I'd like to see Heras get a shot at it too.

Dashii

Hincapie rode for Motorola in 1996. He was new to USPS in 1997, as was Ekimov. In 1996, USPS
featured Andy Hampsten, Steve Bauer, and Tyler Hamilton.

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

> Hincapie rode for Motorola in 1996. He was new to USPS in 1997, as was Ekimov. In 1996, USPS
> featured Andy Hampsten, Steve Bauer, and Tyler Hamilton.
>
> On 7/9/03 1:21 PM, in article [email protected], "Tom Nakashima"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I feel Hincapie deserves his share at wearing the Maillot Jaune. He's paid his dues many times
> > over, and was one of the original USPS team members since 1996. Ekimov didn't join the team
> > until the following year. The window of opportunity like this doesn't come very often, and being
> > the 100th anniversary makes it extra special with the Henri Desgrange logo. It would be a nice
> > appreciation for a domestique. -tom
> >
> > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> He graduated?!

ummmmmmmmmm... Steve,

Wasn't Motorola the pre-cursor to USPS?

IIRC, Moto bowed out, leaving no US-sponsored team. Of course, Lance was signed with Cofidis and,
well, we all know what happened next. Cancer, lack of (Cofidis) faith, Lance goes to USPS.

Joe
--
#----------------------------------------------------------# Penguinix Consulting #
#----------------------------------------------------------# Software development, QA and testing. #

"Joseph Cipale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Wasn't Motorola the pre-cursor to USPS?

No. Suburu or Suburu-Montgomery or Montgomery Bell was the precursur of USPS. USPS has picked up
some sort staff and riders from the old Motorola team.

JT
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

"Joseph Cipale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

> ummmmmmmmmm... Steve,
>
> Wasn't Motorola the pre-cursor to USPS?
>
> IIRC, Moto bowed out, leaving no US-sponsored team. Of course, Lance was signed with Cofidis and,
> well, we all know what happened next. Cancer, lack of (Cofidis) faith, Lance goes to USPS.

Subaru - Montgomery was the sponsor back in the days that Lance was on the team as an amateur. He
eventually left for Motorola because that were already based in Europe. He signed with them in '91
or '92. USPS was brought in as a sponsor in 1996 which was the last year for Motorola. Lance went to
Cofidis and took Livingston, Andreu and I think Bobby Julich. Lance signed with USPS after his
troubles with Cofidis and at that point it (finally) became a good match for Lance to come back to
the new look squad. Lance's market value had dropped while USPS was ramping up for a stronger
European campaign. The rest is fairly well known history.

In any case, it seems that a lot of people assumed that USPS came out of the ashes of Motorola
for several reasons. First of all, they were both American teams that used red white and blue for
the team kit. When USPS was brought in as the main sponsor, the team changed its colors to RWB
which at around the time Motorala went away. The second is that a lot of athletes were jumping
from team to team more or less together and they were essentially following Lance. Although both
USPS and Motorola were around as sponsors for 1996, they were not seen in any big races together
that I am aware of.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Subaru - Montgomery was the sponsor back in the days that Lance was on the team as an amateur. He
> eventually left for Motorola because that were already based in Europe. He signed with them in '91
> or '92. USPS was
brought
> in as a sponsor in 1996 which was the last year for Motorola. Lance went
> Cofidis and took Livingston, Andreu and I think Bobby Julich. Lance signed with USPS after his
> troubles with Cofidis and at that point it (finally) became a good match for Lance to come back to
> the new look squad. Lance's market value had dropped while USPS was ramping up for a stronger
> European campaign. The rest is fairly well known history.
>
> In any case, it seems that a lot of people assumed that USPS came out of
the
> ashes of Motorola for several reasons. First of all, they were both
American
> teams that used red white and blue for the team kit. When USPS was brought in as the main sponsor,
> the team changed its colors to RWB which at around the time Motorala went away. The second is that
> a lot of athletes were jumping from team to team more or less together and they were essentially
> following Lance. Although both USPS and Motorola were around as sponsors
for
> 1996, they were not seen in any big races together that I am aware of.

My lingering memory is of having a conversation with Carmichael in 1996 where he had heard that
Gorski was cooking something up, but at the time Carmichael thought it was with IBM, not USPS.

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Subaru - Montgomery was the sponsor back in the days that Lance was on
the
> > team as an amateur. He eventually left for Motorola because that were already based in Europe.
> > He signed with them in '91 or '92. USPS was
> brought
> > in as a sponsor in 1996 which was the last year for Motorola. Lance went
> > Cofidis and took Livingston, Andreu and I think Bobby Julich. Lance
signed
> > with USPS after his troubles with Cofidis and at that point it (finally) became a good match for
> > Lance to come back to the new look squad.
Lance's
> > market value had dropped while USPS was ramping up for a stronger
European
> > campaign. The rest is fairly well known history.
> >
> > In any case, it seems that a lot of people assumed that USPS came out of
> the
> > ashes of Motorola for several reasons. First of all, they were both
> American
> > teams that used red white and blue for the team kit. When USPS was
brought
> > in as the main sponsor, the team changed its colors to RWB which at
around
> > the time Motorala went away. The second is that a lot of athletes were jumping from team to team
> > more or less together and they were
essentially
> > following Lance. Although both USPS and Motorola were around as sponsors
> for
> > 1996, they were not seen in any big races together that I am aware of.
>
> My lingering memory is of having a conversation with Carmichael in 1996 where he had heard that
> Gorski was cooking something up, but at the time Carmichael thought it was with IBM, not USPS.

How sure are you that was 1996? I could swear that was the inaugural year but I trust your memory
better than mine on this one.

On 7/10/03 10:36 AM, in article [email protected], "Joseph Cipale"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:
>>
>> Hincapie rode for Motorola in 1996. He was new to USPS in 1997, as was Ekimov. In 1996, USPS
>> featured Andy Hampsten, Steve Bauer, and Tyler Hamilton.
>>
>> On 7/9/03 1:21 PM, in article [email protected], "Tom Nakashima"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I feel Hincapie deserves his share at wearing the Maillot Jaune. He's paid his dues many times
>>> over, and was one of the original USPS team members since 1996. Ekimov didn't join the team
>>> until the following year. The window of opportunity like this doesn't come very often, and being
>>> the 100th anniversary makes it extra special with the Henri Desgrange logo. It would be a nice
>>> appreciation for a domestique. -tom
>>>
>>> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

> ummmmmmmmmm... Steve,
>
> Wasn't Motorola the pre-cursor to USPS?

Nope. The Motorola team organization was no more after 1996.

The USPS team grew out of Thom Weisel's Suburu-Montgomery and Montgomery-Bell teams.

In fact, in 1996, BOTH Motorola and USPS were racing professionally ... Armstrong for Motorola,
Hampsten & Bauer for USPS.

While they have (and have had) many of the same riders, they are NOT the same team.

> IIRC, Moto bowed out, leaving no US-sponsored team. Of course, Lance was signed with Cofidis and,
> well, we all know what happened next. Cancer, lack of (Cofidis) faith, Lance goes to USPS.
>
> Joe

On 7/10/03 3:51 PM, in article [email protected], "Nick Burns"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Although both USPS and Motorola were around as sponsors for 1996, they were not seen in any big
> races together that I am aware of.

Tour DuPont.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

> How sure are you that was 1996? I could swear that was the inaugural year but I trust your memory
> better than mine on this one.

You're better off trusting your own memory.

I did a quick Google search. 1996 was the year Eddy Gragus won CoreStates for US Postal.

On a side note, how many US Postal riders have won the USPro road championship only to get sacked at
the end of the year?

Gragus?

Jemison?

McRae?