el wire and bicycle generators

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Don Bright, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. Don Bright

    Don Bright Guest

    Hello

    I have been wondering if anyone has put elwire ( el-wire, el wire, electroluminescent wire, glowire
    ) on their bikes, but rather than battery power, I was wondering if you could power it via some kind
    of generator dynamo type of setup. The EL-Wire apparently takes 60-120VAC input and its brightness
    varies with frequency, from low at 60hz to bright at 4000hz. Current needed is apparently pretty
    low, 200mA for a 30 foot length of wire. (see www.glowire.com for their various DC battery powered
    kits) Anyone done something like this?

    How much hz is in the AC output of a bicycle generator? How much Voltage?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (don bright) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been wondering if anyone has put elwire ( el-wire, el wire, electroluminescent wire,
    > glowire ) on their bikes, but rather than battery power, I was wondering if you could power it via
    > some kind of generator dynamo type of setup. The EL-Wire apparently takes 60-120VAC input and its
    > brightness varies with frequency, from low at 60hz to bright at 4000hz. Current needed is
    > apparently pretty low, 200mA for a 30 foot length of wire. (see www.glowire.com for their various
    > DC battery powered kits) Anyone done something like this?
    >
    > How much hz is in the AC output of a bicycle generator? How much Voltage?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't know if you're planning on doing this for safety or fun. EL wire is neat and draws a lot of
    stares and smiles, but doesn't do much for visibility from the types of distances that make it
    really useful in traffic. I've got a helmet done up with it and it helps me in close quarters, at
    intersections, but mostly it just has that Tron look. I used an inverter with a 9V battery, like the
    kits on the website.

    If you already have a dynamo, just measure it's output. If not, I recommend the battery/inverter
    setup since you'll probably get a higher frequency, definitely won't need a transformer and that way
    and you'll be illuminated without moving.