Elbow pain...advise?

ccorrick

Dec 9, 2003
Howdy all,

My elbow hurts.

4 years ago I was doing around 250-350 miles a week. Since then life got in the way, and I've just started back. I hate gloves and never rode with them (stupid things stink). However, Now that I've worked back up to about 5-8 hours a week of riding(yeah, i'm ignoring miles right now. It's depressing.) My elbow is killing me. I think it's the tendon that runs on the inside of the elbow when my palm is face up. I can feel it when I flex the joint and it feel suspiciously like tendonitis. I do change hand positions almost continually and bought some first rate gel gloves that helped a little. It's still there though and and any ride over an hour and it flares up pretty good. Ice and ibuprophen help after rides too.

Anyone experienced this? I know the solution to tendonitis, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stay off my bike long enough to heal it. Is there a support that may help?
Let me know what you think.

Christopher

I think there are things you can do to relieve some of the pressure on that area. One is to raise the handlebars a bit so that your weight is displaced a bit further back, secondly... are you overweight and/or are your arms out of shape? May consider addressing that, if it is a factor.

Lastly, you may take a look at your handlebars. As you get older, your body becomes less adept at compensating for poor positioning, and this is but a hunch... but do you have any clue what size (width) handlebars you are riding??? Im going to guess they are a little narrow for your shoulder width, or excessively too wide, which is going to cause some odd angles to your elbows. I have no clue how tall you are, or how wide your shoulders are, but it is just a potential culprit... it all comes down to fit. Get that checked. There are many factors that could contribute to this. If you are 5-4 and have 44cm handlebars... is likely an odd fit... also if you are 6-1 and have 40 cm handlebars... likely an odd fit.

Ice and Ibuprofen is likely going to be your friend...

Let us know what you find out!!

Chris

Thanks Funk,

Basically it boils down to I have tendonitis in my elbow and don't want to admit it. Here are some answers though just in case someone has even more suggestions. I'll help rule out possiblities as I go!!!

I'm 27 (sheesh, I hope I'm not falling apart yet) 6'2" and 165lbs.
So weight isn't an issue here for sure. :D I will mesure my handlebars when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it's not an issue.

Arm strength may help to put some of the pressure on muscles instead of the joint....I do a total of about 130 pushups ever other night or so, and 40-50 pullups in sets every night I don't do pushups(yeah str. to weight ratio is higher than average and I'm a climber for sure!!) Man I love mountains!! Anyway, back to topic. I'm an archer also. The pressure of the longbow at draw does not seem to affect me. It's just riding that sets it off. I can feel the tendon poping when I do pushups, but it doesn't hurt afterward.

It basically boils down to: I pretty much know what's wrong and I'm hoping someone has a miracle cure!! ;) Hoping someone has had this exact problem and some insite on how to clear it up without giving up riding for the few weeks to let it heal.. ugh!

Christopher

I have a little of the same problem, and find that a little extra upward tilt of the saddle nose has helped me alleviate the amount of work my elbows do. Also my physiotherapist and trainer both suggested i try to keep my arms and elbows nice and relaxed while I ride - I have a tendency to grip the bar a bit hard, which doesn't help the elbows. Relaxing them on the bike helps.
My tendonitis is mostly aggravated by using heavy garden tools like picks, shovels, lawnmowers, leaf blowers, weed whackers ad the like (so I try to avoid them as much as possible ):D

Hello,

Just an update if anyone else is having this problem. I have been careful when riding to make sure I keep a nice loose grip, elbows bent and sholders down and back. I shortened my rides last week to under an hour (just threw in a extra day).
One other thing I noticed is that sometimes in the mornings I could feel it and had to ice it down. I figured out I was curling my arm up under my pillow and putting a lot of strain on the elbow joint.

So, with all that it seems most of the pain is gone now. Basically it was just being aware of what was causing the irritation, and taking it away. I can tell it's not completely healed in 1 week, but it is definately on it's way. My last ride was just over an hour and one half, with no problems at all. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

BTW, armchair is right "heavy garden tools like picks, shovels, lawnmowers, leaf blowers, weed whackers ad the like" are an aggravation and should be avoided at all costs!!!

Also avoid any house painting requiring 32 ft extension ladders!

I pulled something right on the inside of my elbow wrestling with the ladder in September, and it still isn't completely healed.

I got rid of elbow pain by raising the bars an 1.5" and lowering the saddle about half an inch. The posture of my younger years didn't work past 50.