elbow tendinitis

MX5Bob

Jul 11, 2006
Does anybody have any suggestions of how to ease the pain? It comes on after a fairly short period of time. Bike was expertly adjusted to me several years ago, but the seat position front-to-back has been moved a bit.

I definitely need to eat a better diet and I want to get back into decent riding shape, but the tendon pain is nasty. Wish I'd gotten the tendinitis doing something fun like rock or ice climbing, but it's from 26 years of using a keyboard. :(

Check with an orthopedic doctor. I had tennis elbow and my doc gave me a sleeve that I wear on my forearm that takes the pressure off the muscle in my elbow. If that don't work, you may have to get a cortisone shot.

MX5Bob said:
Does anybody have any suggestions of how to ease the pain? It comes on after a fairly short period of time. Bike was expertly adjusted to me several years ago, but the seat position front-to-back has been moved a bit.

I paid $$ to be so called fit to my bikes only to change everything after wards. bike fit is about how it feels to you, not how it looks to the guy fitting you. you may be in a position that put pressure on your arms. also make sure you don't hold on bars tight when you hit bumps, keep elbows ben tand relaxed.

Don't get me wrong, a bike fitter can point you in a good direction if you have no experience riding. but most likely there will be something you have to tweak after a fit.

I'm thinking about going with arm bands. Both the lateral and medial tendons get real unhappy. I'd love to just take ibuprofen, but can't take any NSAIDs.

Plus, my 15-year-old 'dale doesn't have the most forgiving frame. The steel fork has to go!

I have that same problem. I got an arm band from my doc that does what the previous poster mentioned. It works great. I did a 65 mile ride and didn't feel any pain when before a 10-miler would put me out of commission for a week. Expect to have a funky tan line though :)

MX5Bob said:
I'm thinking about going with arm bands. Both the lateral and medial tendons get real unhappy. I'd love to just take ibuprofen, but can't take any NSAIDs.

Plus, my 15-year-old 'dale doesn't have the most forgiving frame. The steel fork has to go!
Why don't you take celebrex?

tyler1212 said:
For pure pain relief you could try some capsaicin cream on the affected area. For prescription meds there is Ultram (non-narcotic and not an NSAID). I have an aluminum litespeed with carbon fork plus Fizik gel bar wrap and that definitely takes the "sting" out of the road. Try to ride with the most relaxed grip that is possible at any given time. Applying ice to the area for 20 minutes right before a ride can also get you through. Then ice for 20 minutes of every hour for a few hours after the ride.

tyler1212 said:
That's also an NASAID, as are aspirin, Aleve and Vioxx, which I took for about 9 mos. for arthritis in my right thumb.

I'll definitely try some capsasin before the next ride. I'm also going to get the Fitzik gel wrap.