elderly man ignoring personal hygiene - depressed ?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by L Mehl, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    A male friend, age 89, is starting to exhibit
    noticeable body odor and is wearing the same clothes on
    successive days.

    Can readers suggest ways to broach the subject and help him
    improve his personal hygiene?

    Other information: He is taking anti-depression medication
    and suffers from constipation, possibly aggravated by this
    medication.

    Thanks for any help.

    L Mehl

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.600 /
    Virus Database: 381 - Release Date: 2/28/2004

    Tags:

  2. Contrarian

    Contrarian Guest

    L Mehl <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A male friend, age 89, is starting to exhibit noticeable
    > body odor and is wearing the same clothes on successive
    > days. Can readers suggest ways to broach the subject and
    > help him improve his personal hygiene?

    What's your relationship?

    > Other information: He is taking anti-depression medication
    > and suffers from constipation, possibly aggravated by this
    > medication.

    Might well be 1. depression

    or 2. the EFFECTS of the anti-depressant Which psydocs
    (MDs) often deny happening.

    In some ppl in diminishes motivation (everything seems
    "all right" In that case it might help to just to visit
    and suggest a wash. It wouldn't have bothered me. Does he
    have food in the house? He might not be shopping either.

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Contrarian <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > L Mehl <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> A male friend, age 89, is starting to exhibit noticeable
    >> body odor and is wearing the same clothes on successive
    >> days. Can readers suggest ways to broach the subject and
    >> help him improve his personal hygiene?

    That's the problem with modern medicine. Stinky, smelly
    oldsters like this slob get to live to be 89! In the old
    days, he would have been dead by 60 and you wouldn't have
    to smell him now that he's confused and lazy and just
    plain stinky.

    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

  4. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Contrarian --

    Thanks.

    Relationship is a new friendship.

    He lives with his sister and they both keep the house clean
    and stocked with food.

    I think his motivation is in good shape. He cleans up the
    yard and has started planting tomatoes for this season.

    L Mehl

    "Contrarian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    read.news.verio.net...
    > L Mehl <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > A male friend, age 89, is starting to exhibit noticeable
    > > body odor and
    is
    > > wearing the same clothes on successive days. Can readers
    > > suggest ways to broach the subject and help him improve
    > > his personal hygiene?
    >
    > What's your relationship?
    >
    > > Other information: He is taking anti-depression
    > > medication and suffers from constipation, possibly
    > > aggravated by this medication.
    >
    > Might well be 1. depression
    >
    > or 2. the EFFECTS of the anti-depressant Which psydocs
    > (MDs) often deny happening.
    >
    > In some ppl in diminishes motivation (everything seems
    > "all right" In that case it might help to just to visit
    > and suggest a wash. It wouldn't have bothered me. Does
    > he have food in the house? He might not be shopping
    > either.

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.600 /
    Virus Database: 381 - Release Date: 2/28/2004

  5. On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:06:09 -0600, Justin wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > That's the problem with modern medicine. Stinky, smelly
    > oldsters like this slob get to live to be 89! In the old
    > days, he would have been dead by 60 and you wouldn't have
    > to smell him now that he's confused and lazy and just
    > plain stinky.

    So, Justin, are you going to volunteer to be killed on your
    60th birthday so you don't become a confused, lazy, and
    stinky burden on society?

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

  6. Contrarian

    Contrarian Guest

    L Mehl <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Contrarian --
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Relationship is a new friendship.

    Then the main burden will fall on the primary
    caretaker/nearest relative.

    >He lives with his sister and they both keep the house
    >clean and
    stocked with food.

    That's good.

    > I think his motivation is in good shape. He cleans up the
    > yard and has started planting tomatoes for this season.

    Hygiene, or deficiencies thereof, can be caused by many
    things in older ppl. I was addressing the depression/meds
    issue only (because those are two causes that are often
    overlooked)

    Can you mention it to the sister? You'll have to be the
    judge of that.

  7. Crowfoot

    Crowfoot Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Contrarian
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > L Mehl <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > A male friend, age 89, is starting to exhibit noticeable
    > > body odor and is wearing the same clothes on successive
    > > days. Can readers suggest ways to broach the subject and
    > > help him improve his personal hygiene?

    Some medications given to older people cause strong
    body odor.

    C.
    --
    Crow

  8. Justin

    Justin Guest

    >> > A male friend, age 89, is starting to exhibit
    >> > noticeable body odor and is wearing the same clothes on
    >> > successive days. Can readers suggest ways to broach the
    >> > subject and help him improve his personal hygiene?

    Give him a rubber hose to attach to the exhaust of his 23
    year old Buick that only has 29,000 miles on it. Tell him to
    park it in the garage and start the car and think happy,
    peaceful thoughts.

    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

  9. L Kelly

    L Kelly Guest

    <noticeable body odor and is wearing the same clothes on
    successive days.>

    Some antidepressants cause more depression; they weaken the
    will to fight depression. Maybe the dose is too high.
    Regardless, if his behavior changed after taking the
    medication, the doc should be told.

    He may be so out of it that he's not aware of wearing the
    same clothes.

    You might suggest to him or his sister, if you are on that
    level with them, that he bathe for 20 minutes with 2 cups of
    empsom salts and a few drops of peppermint or lavender
    essential oil in warm water after a cleansing shower. Epsom
    salts = magnesium sulfate.

    Most depressed people in this study by Dr. Shealy (He is
    credited with invention of the TENS unit) were found to be
    magnesium deficient; http://www.healingpeople.com/ht/EN/art-
    icles/2000/1/20/356.tmpl?weaselSession
    ID=MjE0MTYzOTA3Njo3NDI6MTkyLjE2OC4xLjEwMDoyMjc0MjU0

    Another article mentioning magnesium deficiency with
    depression and also has suggestions on supplements: http://-
    www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Depression/treatment/alter-
    native/bra in_chemistry.asp LK